"Rapid Fill" Mugs Coming to Walt Disney World Hotels

imperate

With the RFID chip in control the dispensing, the mug design is no longer important. In the past, Disney had to clear out all of an old style to start a new one. Now they can run at the same time. This could open up the opportunity for more designs as they are easier to change over. Or not... If there is only one option, you will buy what they have available.

G00fyDad

With the RFID chip in control the dispensing, the mug design is no longer important. In the past, Disney had to clear out all of an old style to start a new one. Now they can run at the same time. This could open up the opportunity for more designs as they are easier to change over. Or not... If there is only one option, you will buy what they have available.

Or not.

CDavid

Indeed, the same faulty thinking that erroneously holds that if we're going to buy one T-shirt (or whatever) there is no point in providing us multiple design options; We're going to buy one of whatever it is, period.

Of course, were that true there would need be only one channel on television. Most households are going to watch TV tonight anyway, so...

jkl2000

the only pain-and it only happened once-was it has a refill restriction of 2 minutes on a given cup, but the one mug i was filling the machine only filled the cup like halfway.

If that happens, then you just stand there with the cup under the dispenser and wait the two minutes - Disney will have to deal with the line that ensues.

I see these are usable for coffee too - who would put hot coffee in a plastic mug? I mean, I guess a lot of people do because you get unlimited refills, but I couldn't drink coffee out of a plastic mug. Too much heat transfer, the plastic will get soft (unless these are "hard" plastic?), matter from the plastic will taint the coffee (again, unless these are "hard" plastic - but they look soft). When you buy ONE coffee, say at a food court, is it in a styrofoam or paper cup? IMO those work much better for hot beverages. But would they be refillable?

Last edited:

jkl2000

they just mean the standard sodas you buy... they have a limited # of refills within the alloted time as a normal drink purchase. The paper cups have RFID as well.

Crazy, but I think I read that and forgot about it. Is this all over property? How many refills are you allowed? I forget.

jkl2000

^OK, just watched a YouTube video that explains. So if you have empty water bottles, four people could have a soda for the cost of one soda (and a wait of 2 1/2 min per person). Not bad.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
^OK, just watched a YouTube video that explains. So if you have empty water bottles, four people could have a soda for the cost of one soda (and a wait of 2 1/2 min per person). Not bad.
Were there a lot of hateful comments after the video with a lot of name calling and f bombs?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Did I miss it.. or did people not notice the dispensing system is different in Rapid Fill as deployed vs the earlier test systems? The old system had big plastic levers that you put the cup against... and the new system has RFID in the flat tray.. and you use the classic membrane button to dispense the drink.

Maybe I'm late.. but didn't see people talking about the changes between the old test and the production roll-out.

jkl2000

^ Only a little.

So how does the machine know how much soda it's given you - does it go by weight or the time it's been dispensing? Also, can you release the button halfway through (say, to let the foam settle) then continue, or once you release it is that the end of your fill?

Oh well, this is crazy. To be honest, in my room, I prefer soda in a bottle, so I can cap it and save some for later.

flynnibus

Premium Member
^ Only a little.

So how does the machine know how much soda it's given you - does it go by weight or the time it's been dispensing? Also, can you release the button halfway through (say, to let the foam settle) then continue, or once you release it is that the end of your fill?

Oh well, this is crazy. To be honest, in my room, I prefer soda in a bottle, so I can cap it and save some for later.

The system knows how much fluid it dispenses...

threvester

^ Only a little.

Just returned from wdw and had a length of stay rapid fill mug...yes you can stop halfway and then continue dispensing..i think it goes by ounces rather than weight because i also took a swig in the middle and it didnt let me fill to the top...in case anyone is wondering, it also will tell you down to the second how much time you have left until the next fill

FigmentsFangirl

Just returned from wdw and had a length of stay rapid fill mug...yes you can stop halfway and then continue dispensing..i think it goes by ounces rather than weight because i also took a swig in the middle and it didnt let me fill to the top...in case anyone is wondering, it also will tell you down to the second how much time you have left until the next fill
And that is what is most helpful. My mom however saw it as a problem as I got a coke each morning {Only one machine out of six was even giving ICE muchless water}, refilled it and went back to the room {by time I got to the room my mug was empty.} She saw it as a waste of money because I'd go again later in the evening to get another one, and personally I thought it was worth it because it kept me going and it just experied yesterday for me {even though our stay was 18-27 August it kept saying 'refills available through 2/9/2013' {I put day then month, force of habit}}

It was both annoying, and kind of amusing, to see when the machine said "you have to wait XX minutes and XX seconds before refill can continue" and people never noticed it. Heck some people even got some that said "Your Time Has Expired." And there they were, trying to get a fillup. And honestly I do not think those mugs that do not have the new RFID chip in them will work, old colors in fact I saw and people with them were told they'd have to get a new mug. But the funny part was, those old colors, the only note they got was "Your time has expired". That was it.

Personally I see it as a means to stop theft, Saw people with mugs and thermos bought off property and filling them up. I can understand filling up with water, but with Coke or the like, geeze buy a mug or a 2 hour cup will ya please ?

EDIT: and yes the paper cups last exactly 90 minutes or four refills. By then the cup's soaked through and useless.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
If that happens, then you just stand there with the cup under the dispenser and wait the two minutes - Disney will have to deal with the line that ensues.

I see these are usable for coffee too - who would put hot coffee in a plastic mug? I mean, I guess a lot of people do because you get unlimited refills, but I couldn't drink coffee out of a plastic mug. Too much heat transfer, the plastic will get soft (unless these are "hard" plastic?), matter from the plastic will taint the coffee (again, unless these are "hard" plastic - but they look soft). When you buy ONE coffee, say at a food court, is it in a styrofoam or paper cup? IMO those work much better for hot beverages. But would they be refillable?

I have had every type of refill mug going way back to the days of eve the larger refill mugs. Never once did any of the designs have a heat transfer issue. They are thermal design for hot and cold similar to a Tervis Tumbler.
I reuse the mugs at home, on train and in car. I do however have issues with some high end paper cups even with an addition heat sleeve. Plus I actually prefer to drink out of plastic mug than a biodegrading paper cup especially while it starts to bio while I am using it.

jaklgreen

Have you ever seen the mugs and cups they sell everywhere? They are not cheap plastic like Dixie cups, think more PVC type of cups. They are all food grade safe and do not "transfer" any residue from them. You put hot food on those disposable plastic plates at a picnic don't you? It is the same type of thing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom