Rapid Fill Mug Program Fails (at more ways than you might think)

WDWLOVER1957

GAC no longer exists. When it was there those "idiots" you speak of allowed everyone with a hangnail or worse, use it. That culminated in it no longer being there. The new system is designed to give people what they need, not necessarily just what they want. (everyone wanted front of the line passes) Something about that change seems right.

The change is a good one in principal, but when you hear of disabled people being refused a DAS because they have a wheelchair ECV, by some and yes idiot is the right word that have no clue regarding that persons needs, is it their fault the idiots let someone with as you say a hangnail have a GAC, the answer to that is no.

The Visionary Soul

Original Poster
It was enabled when we had dinner there last Sunday.
I believe I said certain managers at certain resorts have discovered the problem and disabled it. I never meant to say all the managers were doing it. However, I also suspect that someone has read this thread and had a notice sent to managers to not turn off the systems... so, who knows at this point how all this will end.

Buried20KLeague

The 'Dixie Landing' mugs are ALSO lifetime mugs from this email dredged from the archives
Here's the email below

Thank you for contacting us at Walt Disney World Guest Services.

My sincere apologies in misunderstanding the type of mug you were
referencing. The larger mugs that were sold approximately 10 years and
back, are indeed lifetime mugs. They have a red top, and handle and I
believe have Briar Fox, Briar Rabbit and Bear on them. I confirmed with
the Food and Beverage Team at Port Orleans Riverside Resort and they
were very enthusiastic that yes indeed you will be able to use these in
your future visit.
If for any reason you encounter any challenges while at the resort
please do not hesitate to contact my offices.

We look forward to your future visit and hope you have a magical time.

dixiemug.jpg

I'll be darned. I have about 6 of those.

YankeeMouse

When the mugs were resort specific, we bought them all the time, and we are frequent AP visitors from Chicago who come for short visits frequently. Now that they are the same tired old beach theme, we just do water. Resort-specific would get me to buy them, especially in the moderates where there is no longer any resort-specific merch. Someone in marketing missed that.

bhg469

When the mugs were resort specific, we bought them all the time, and we are frequent AP visitors from Chicago who come for short visits frequently. Now that they are the same tired old beach theme, we just do water. Resort-specific would get me to buy them, especially in the moderates where there is no longer any resort-specific merch. Someone in marketing missed that.
I regret not getting the novelty giant coronodo springs one when they had it. To my knowledge it was the only resort that had the giant mug that held a treasonable amount of fluid for the long trek back to the room at that resort.

Buried20KLeague

For what it's worth... I actually vaguely recalled being told in the mid 90's at Dixie Landings that the mugs could be brought back. I had never waded into the discussion because I don't care all that much, and honestly I wasn't POSITIVE I was remembering it correctly.

I DO know though, that we did take those Dixie Landings mugs back for our next trip to use them (we used to always stay at Dixie). I remember because I kept them in a backpack we carried around. I only did that for one trip, because they were just bulky and a pain to mess with carrying.

And I'm absolutely not the kind of person that would have brought those mugs back if there was any hint in my mind that I wasn't supposed to do it. In fact, stealing soda never crossed my mind (from Mc'd's or someplace) until I read it on this thread.

Those few facts together tell me that I MUST have been directly told they could be brought back. I can't remember the moment exactly, because there would be no special reason for it to stand out. I assume it was just a "you can bring these back on your next trip!" kind of thing that we were told, which we would have taken in stride and that was that.

I know that's anecdotal...

PhilharMagician

I regret not getting the novelty giant coronodo springs one when they had it. To my knowledge it was the only resort that had the giant mug that held a treasonable amount of fluid for the long trek back to the room at that resort.

Yeah, I remember seeing them and they were like $25.00.

In the early 90's we were told the mugs could be used for future visits as a perk to get us to buy them.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don't want this to dive into the classic mug thread...

but one thing to also think about.. were CMs telling people things because they knew that's what they could get away with.. or because that was what the product actually had?

Example.... FP return times. Late returns as policy were allowed as a form of guest recovery... not because late returns were the default. But lazy communications from CMs evolved into telling people they can just come back anytime.. and now everyone 'understands' that the rule is you can come back anytime.

Could 'lifetime' mugs fall under the same bubble of misinformation?

I don't really doubt Disney sold the product that way... I'm just throwing out there when people say 'thats what I was told'... we must consider were you being told something informally.. or formally? Get my drift?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

but one thing to also think about.. were CMs telling people things because they knew that's what they could get away with.. or because that was what the product actually had?

Example.... FP return times. Late returns as policy were allowed as a form of guest recovery... not because late returns were the default. But lazy communications from CMs evolved into telling people they can just come back anytime.. and now everyone 'understands' that the rule is you can come back anytime.

I don't really doubt Disney sold the product that way... I'm just throwing out there when people say 'thats what I was told'... we must consider were you being told something informally.. or formally? Get my drift?

Interesting thought, and one that I had been having as well. Not that it matters. Lifetime mugs are not the reason for RapidFill.

If you(not you Flynn, but "you" in a general sense) are worried about using your lifetime mug, bring it with you, head to guest services and tell them about it. You will probably be handed a RFID mug to use in place of your lifetime Dixie Landings 20 year old mug.

jaklgreen

My hubby and I both remember the lifetime mugs. We still have a couple from the Contemporary. This was way back in the mid 90s when the food court was still downstairs. We stayed there 5 years in a row. They had signs by the registers and cups stating that the mugs were refillable for life. I don't have a picture of the signs because back then people did not document everything because we still used film in our cameras.

asianway

My hubby and I both remember the lifetime mugs. We still have a couple from the Contemporary. This was way back in the mid 90s when the food court was still downstairs. We stayed there 5 years in a row. They had signs by the registers and cups stating that the mugs were refillable for life. I don't have a picture of the signs because back then people did not document everything because we still used film in our cameras.
You remember correctly sir- I may even have the photo that proves it...

EOD K9

I had mugs from CB way back in the day and never had an issue with refills for about three visits. After that, I bought DVC and by then the mugs were all generic.

NEL

I believe this to be the case as well. Believe it or not I was told by a CM at Gaspirilla Grill in GF that I could use the mugs on future visits and this was last year over the MLK holiday. I knew she was wrong and questioned her about it, are you sure ? And she said yes. I did not insist because she was elderly and was clearly misguided. But if CMs are still mis representing it as late as 2013 i am sure they were probably doing the same thing in the 90s

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom