Rapid Fill Mug Program Fails (at more ways than you might think)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
What exactly was it? and what did the acronym stand for?
Mickey's Vacation Club.

I already posted that. It was a "club" you could belong to in the early 90s or so (as I recall). You got some free merch when you signed up and were put on Disney's mailing list.

I forget the details, but I have a MVC patch somewhere in my parents attic.

luv

I'm simply happy that we have written proof from Disney that the old school resort mugs were indeed lifetime so we can stop arguing about whether lifetime mugs actually exist!. What I find fascinating is they seem to hold more beverage than todays designs.
I don't doubt people who say they existed! I believe them and am in full agreement that Disney ought to keep their end of the deal.

I do think that particular picture is a fake, though.

asianway

you would think if all these people complaining in the threads over the last year had these mugs.. they could readily provide pictures of them since they claim to be taking them to WDW :)
The mugs don't say lifetime on them, what would be the point? The signs at the CS detailed the promotion

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Is this for real? What is MVC...Marriott Vacation Club?

Were the free refills for life mugs all non-resort specific? All of my mugs from the 90s were resort specific. I miss those.

What's funny is that if Disney wanted to maximize income, they need to go back to resort specific mugs and ditch the RFID chips. Really, they're showing a fundamental misunderstanding of human nature. At the current prices they charge, they're not going to get near as many non DDP people to buy the mugs. For most, it is not a very good deal. One of the reasons most people were bringing their mug back on future trips was because the designs weren't changing very rapidly, they weren't resort (and thus vacation specific in many cases) specific, and because Disney creates complicated systems which by their very nature encourages people to "game" them. Thus, if you had resort specific mugs that were updated every year and sold at a flat $15 rate, you'd sell more mugs and have less incentive for people to take advantage of the system. Further, CMs could easily tell if a mug was outdated. Plus, you could have an actual policy for the occasional boisterous tourist with a Dixie Landings mug that is claiming free refills for life. More sales, less taking advantage of the system, no CMs turning off the rf readers because they're not working correctly and no more complicated "Hey! My mug's not working correctly" issues.

John

posters have claimed they did...

I never seen any mention of "lifetime" on the mugs. I have some around here somewhere but they look no different then just about any other mug....except the size of it. I am going to be real honest here. I don't remember ever seeing ANY advertisement as saying "lifetime refills" I only knew they exist from my mother being a CM. She said "buy these mugs they are good for lifetime refills". So of course I did what my mother told me to do. I am not so sure this wasn't some Disney urban myth or what? I leave for the World tomorrow, I tell you what I am going to do. I am going to go to the front desk and inquire as to what are we supposed to do if we have these "lifetime mugs" See what they say. I am taking my laptop so I will report my findings in the next day or two.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
What's funny is that if Disney wanted to maximize income, they need to go back to resort specific mugs and ditch the RFID chips. Really, they're showing a fundamental misunderstanding of human nature. At the current prices they charge, they're not going to get near as many non DDP people to buy the mugs. For most, it is not a very good deal. One of the reasons most people were bringing their mug back on future trips was because the designs weren't changing very rapidly, they weren't resort (and thus vacation specific in many cases) specific, and because Disney creates complicated systems which by their very nature encourages people to "game" them. Thus, if you had resort specific mugs that were updated every year and sold at a flat $15 rate, you'd sell more mugs and have less incentive for people to take advantage of the system. Further, CMs could easily tell if a mug was outdated. Plus, you could have an actual policy for the occasional boisterous tourist with a Dixie Landings mug that is claiming free refills for life. More sales, less taking advantage of the system, no CMs turning off the rf readers because they're not working correctly and no more complicated "Hey! My mug's not working correctly" issues.

Exactly, And now the mugs are not even LOCATION specific I have a few from the mid nought's which say "Walt Disney World" the remainder are the insipid "Disney Parks" I like the mugs because they do make great travel mugs and unlike the ones sold at most places the ones at Disney are 'Made in USA' and virtually indestructable only problem is you can't drink hot tea out of them because the tannin stains the plastic. Which is Ok because for Tea I have the ceramic cups from Starbucks which look like paper cups :)

Biggest problem at Disney is the executive "Masters of the Universe" syndrome where they create hoops for people to jump through for the executive's amusement you see it in the processes TWDC expects CM's to follow and to a lesser extent in the ADR and MM+ reservation systems.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
you would think if all these people complaining in the threads over the last year had these mugs.. they could readily provide pictures of them since they claim to be taking them to WDW :)

I've always doubted THAT theory because the NEWEST lifetime mug was last sold in 1999 or so and carting along 14 year old mugs????, As I've noted a friend of mine has some samples of the 'lifetime' mugs including the MVC one but they are so old and fragile they are now pencil and souvenir holders in his home and office. He also bought DVC when DVC came with a free AP for members.

flynnibus

Premium Member
They would be wrong

.. and i still doubt people people tow those old mugs around too regardless of what they say. If they were so common that it's a such an issue.. and they are used so much they take them to the world for long stays.. you'd think someone would be able to snap a cell phone photo of these ancient mugs while on their stay.

Are people still carrying must from what.. 10+ years ago now.. at the same resort they bought them at? Pix or it didn't happen :)

asianway

.. and i still doubt people people tow those old mugs around too regardless of what they say. If they were so common that it's a such an issue.. and they are used so much they take them to the world for long stays.. you'd think someone would be able to snap a cell phone photo of these ancient mugs while on their stay.

Are people still carrying must from what.. 10+ years ago now.. at the same resort they bought them at? Pix or it didn't happen :)
I have one in my hand right now but it serves no purpose to post a pic as it isn't going to prove or disprove anything

flynnibus

Premium Member
I have one in my hand right now but it serves no purpose to post a pic as it isn't going to prove or disprove anything

It's not a question of the mugs still existing in some form - it's a question of you taking the mug to the world to use it and you staying at the same resort you bought it at. Having them at home doesn't entitle you (or another mug owner) to anything...

asianway

It's not a question of the mugs still existing in some form - it's a question of you taking the mug to the world to use it and you staying at the same resort you bought it at. Having them at home doesn't entitle you (or another mug owner) to anything...
Which I used to do per the written contract at the point of sale. Of course I now go elsewhere for vacation so it's moot for me

flynnibus

Premium Member
My parents mugs are WL mugs, just brown with a logo and they don't say anything about refills. The mugs very well maybe from the mid 90's or maybe earlier???

But we don't know...

I'm pretty much convinced people make noise over creatures that no longer exist in the wild.. and not under the conditions necessary for them to be a factor.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

The Mug design is yet another example of Disney allowing dollars to fly overhead while picking up pennies, They are using bulk purchase for all parks to minimize the wholesale cost of mugs but they lose the merchandising war by giving guests no incentive to pick up mugs for their resorts if not on DDP.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom