Random Facts About WDW's Haunted Mansion

imagineer boy

They aren't "actual" chess pieces that would come form a game if that's what you're thinking. The architecture incorperates chess piece designs on top of the mansion.

sdguy1234

Account Suspended
imagineer boy said:
They aren't "actual" chess pieces that would come form a game if that's what you're thinking. The architecture incorperates chess piece designs on top of the mansion.

im not that dumb. :hammer:

arcsbite

sdguy1234 said:
NO NO NO!!! This is just a bogus rumor like the one about walt disney's head being frozen.

I guess since they "LOOK" like chess pieces must mean that they are, right? Then I guess space ship earth must just be designed after a golf ball instead of being a geosphere, right?

BAM BAM AGAIN!!!

Sorry to step on your light magic style parade, but I assure you, they are.

They never appeared on blue prints, they never appeared on prototypes.
They are not recognised by WDW as they were never planned,

I have spoken to several cast members and have confirmed for my own mind (which to be honest is all that matters to me :p)
that the pieces were a practical joke.

When the Imagineers were building mock models of the Mansion (all Imagineers were named to me, but I have a bad memory)
There were two male imagineers that played chess, constantly, and one took it upon himself to place chess pieces all over the Mansion model.
He didn't use the knight and exclaimed that he was already "inside"

The first imagineer was so impressed by the effect the pieces had on teh model that he left them there, and they were included on the final build.
obviously not the actual chess pieces, but the finalised design, including them.

This is not unusual for imagineers, look at hidden Mickey's, they are often used.

I forget now, but when we took the behind the scenes took, we were also pointed out something (it was on one of the spiders I think - not the bad but not official hidden mickey spider)
that there is actually a spider with an imagineer's initials on, they do this a lot, as "quirks" that distingush the pience as thier work.

Look at the Mountain Bushes.

going again on bad memory, I'm sure there is a chess game being played in MK, I'm sure it's pirates.
This again, was the same said imagineers (although as stated, I am going from memory there)

take from any of this what you will, tis the beauty of back story, Disney know it well.

P.S. isn't it WHAM Bam, thank you Ma'am? or is that just a UK thing?

Laura

Premium Member
Chernabog - thanks for writing out that story! Now the ride will make more sense to me. Great story!

Static-X said:
As a side note, I've noticed that the horse drawn hearse hasn't been around for a couple of months now. Where is it?

Static -- Another thread (Backstage yes or no (I think)), had a picture of it sitting in a back stage parking lot. Very odd to see it sitting there between 2 cars.

TURKEY

Static-X said:
As a side note, I've noticed that the horse drawn hearse hasn't been around for a couple of months now. Where is it?
Been undergoing a rehab or what I was told by a HM CM when I did my tour last month.

Laura

Premium Member
I could have sworn I saw the hearse there on Jan 30th. I remember because my 3 year old said "what's that?" and I tried my best to explain to him what an invisible horse was. It was right there by the queue.

sdguy1234

Account Suspended
arcsbite said:
Sorry to step on your light magic style parade, but I assure you, they are.

They never appeared on blue prints, they never appeared on prototypes.
They are not recognised by WDW as they were never planned,

I have spoken to several cast members and have confirmed for my own mind (which to be honest is all that matters to me :p)
that the pieces were a practical joke.

When the Imagineers were building mock models of the Mansion (all Imagineers were named to me, but I have a bad memory)
There were two male imagineers that played chess, constantly, and one took it upon himself to place chess pieces all over the Mansion model.
He didn't use the knight and exclaimed that he was already "inside"

The first imagineer was so impressed by the effect the pieces had on teh model that he left them there, and they were included on the final build.
obviously not the actual chess pieces, but the finalised design, including them.

This is not unusual for imagineers, look at hidden Mickey's, they are often used.

I forget now, but when we took the behind the scenes took, we were also pointed out something (it was on one of the spiders I think - not the bad but not official hidden mickey spider)
that there is actually a spider with an imagineer's initials on, they do this a lot, as "quirks" that distingush the pience as thier work.

Look at the Mountain Bushes.

going again on bad memory, I'm sure there is a chess game being played in MK, I'm sure it's pirates.
This again, was the same said imagineers (although as stated, I am going from memory there)

take from any of this what you will, tis the beauty of back story, Disney know it well.

P.S. isn't it WHAM Bam, thank you Ma'am? or is that just a UK thing?

Thats a pretty good story, but again, NO! The ring story has more merit than this.

arcsbite

sdguy1234 said:
Thats a pretty good story, but again, NO! The ring story has more merit than this.

Except the ring story has been proven as fake.

you're very sure of yourself about something that you cannot prove and offer absolutely nothing in way of arguement than "I'm right, you're Wrong"

sdguy1234

Account Suspended
arcsbite said:
Except the ring story has been proven as fake.

you're very sure of yourself about something that you cannot prove and offer absolutely nothing in way of arguement than "I'm right, you're Wrong"

Im right, your wrong!

BAM!!!

Slipknot

Dakotadogy said:
Static -- Another thread (Backstage yes or no (I think)), had a picture of it sitting in a back stage parking lot. Very odd to see it sitting there between 2 cars.

At least I didn't see it. I would have been mad as hell seeing it in a parking lot!!!!!!!

TURKEY said:
Been undergoing a rehab or what I was told by a HM CM when I did my tour last month.

Yay rehab! What exactly, if you know, of course? Paint job, etc?

raven

Another little fun fact that people may not know involves Master Gracey's grave before you enter the mansion. Notice that it has a fresh rose (or nearly fresh) on top of the head stone and the mound of dirt to cover his grave looks like it has been freshly laid. That's because CMs replace the rose and dig up the dirt on a regular basis. Keeps the story "fresh!" :p

gboiler1

Haunted Mansion

I'd never heard the version Chernabog illustrated a couple pages back. With that said, it differs from the story I had always heard.

The bride in the attic sees her groom in the arms of another. Unbeknownst to her it is simply a seamstress doing some last minute primping to her finances' tuxedo. Hastily she then tosses her ring out the window, which we see when we exit the Mansion, then jumps out the window to the right, which we see when the doom buggy backs down into the graveyard. This represents the bride falling to her death.

I read this on another popular and reputable Disney site, but don't recall which.
Does anyone know how this fits in? I always thought it was the true "story" of the bride in the mansion.

Chernabog

gboiler1 said:
The bride in the attic sees her groom in the arms of another. Unbeknownst to her it is simply a seamstress doing some last minute primping to her finances' tuxedo. Hastily she then tosses her ring out the window, which we see when we exit the Mansion, then jumps out the window to the right, which we see when the doom buggy backs down into the graveyard. This represents the bride falling to her death.

OHHHH I really like that story part. I have never heard that but I think I might try and work that into my version of the story some. Thanks for that info. I'm not really sure that anyonre really knows the "true" story that was originally thought up for the mansion...that's assuming there ever was ONE. It sure is nice to hear all the different ideas though. I do know that there is a site that lists the stories of most of the other 999 ghosts in the house. I'll have to see if I can find it, of course that will have to wait till Monday... WHEN I GET BACK FROM WDW!!! :sohappy: Everyone have a great weekend, hope you enjoy my story and your welcome to those that did.

sdguy1234

Account Suspended
Just because there are chess pieces in Roller Coaster Tycoon does not mean that they exist in Disney's park.

Whoa! Black Betty BAM DA BAM!!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom