Random Facts About WDW's Haunted Mansion

HMGhost13

re-opening the case rofl

found where i read it. for those of you who bought the haunted mansion book "From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies" on page 49 is the answer to the "chess pieces".

for those who don't have it (and are too lazy to look hehe) here is what it says:

Game Over
Over the eyars, many fans have speculated that the Mansion's stone turrets are oversized chess pieces, with every piece represented except the knight (who can be found inside, the urban legend states). Not so according to Imagineers. Although some of the turrets and ornamentation do, indeed, look like chess pieces, all are typical of the Mansion's architectural style and period, and the resemblance is purely coincidental.

Now. as for my own judgement i throw this into the same category as "The Wedding Ring"/Pole controversy. Not enough Evidence on either side to over balance the other. Therefore, neither story is true.

thank you and i re-close the case at this point.

PurpleDragon

HMGhost13 said:
Game Over
Over the eyars, many fans have speculated that the Mansion's stone turrets are oversized chess pieces, with every piece represented except the knight (who can be found inside, the urban legend states). Not so according to Imagineers. Although some of the turrets and ornamentation do, indeed, look like chess pieces, all are typical of the Mansion's architectural style and period, and the resemblance is purely coincidental.

Now. as for my own judgement i throw this into the same category as "The Wedding Ring"/Pole controversy. Not enough Evidence on either side to over balance the other. Therefore, neither story is true.

thank you and i re-close the case at this point.

That is the same "evidence" that sdguy1234 was using to back his arguement. And if you have been reading this post at all, then you would know that the author was obviously given the "standard" WDC answer.

Even if WDW denys they are chess pieces, it still doesn't explain away the fact that THEY ARE CHESS PIECES. You can't say it is standard for that style of architecture, I have never seen any other house from that time period with chess pieces on the roof. It was clearly done by an imagineer, now weather it is/was in the original plans for the mansion, that is debateable. But the fact is they are there and they are obviously intentional, so lets just leave it at that.

PurpleDragon

Dakotadogy said:
I am by no-means an expert -- but I can remember going through in the late 90's and seeing/hearing the pop-up ghosts and thinking that their sounds had changed. It could also be bad memory . . . It's also 6-7 years since my last visit so things could have changed again.

Chele

Nope their audio has never changed. Now their popup speed has been adjusted over the years for various reasons, but the audio track has never changed from the standard screams.

nibblesandbits

no2apprentice said:
ATTORNEY: Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, for the final piece of evidence I will present to you, I would like to admit this enhanced photograph of the Haunted Mansion. The photograph has been enhanced with descriptors and arrows. Please take your time as you look at this photograph. No further evidence, your honor.

JUDGE: Now that both sides have rested their case, I will instruct the jury. You, the jury, need to decide if the evidence presented suggests that the Haunted Mansion's roof details are based on chess pieces. Please remember to use common sense in your decision. The jury is hereby dismissed to decide your verdict.

(Jury leaves.............comes back in 20 seconds)

JUDGE: Members of the jury, have you reached a verdict?

FOREPERSON: We have, your honor. Chess pieces.

(The courtroom cheers.......reporters run for the exit to get on cell phones and get in front of their cameras)

Oh man! That is the best thing I have seen all day! Thanks for proving the point and making me laugh hysterically! :lol: I espeically like the cool bat! :lookaroun

Actually, now that I think about it, it's surprising WDW *didn't* switch the audio to the ''I do''s when they went to the trouble of updating the bride and changing the pop-ups into their new garb of formal wear one might see at a wedding.

PurpleDragon

I think since WDW had the Phantom Pianist in the library, they decided to add him to the attic scene in DL. What better way to tie him in than to have him playing "Here comes the bride" HM style. Thats just my guess though, I really don't know why they didn't make the change in both Mansions, possibly to differentiate them a bit more.

Besides DL always gets the new technology and upgrades. The DL HM has been updated at least 3-4 times over the past few years, where as the WDW HM has been pretty much the same since the day it opened.:(

nibblesandbits

Gepettotrevor said:
Why Is It a bad Idea To Step Out Of The Car?

Can You Tell me please? :D

Gepetto...this is supposedly why...

Static-X said:
Sensors will detect you and stop the ride. The reason to NEVER EVER try in Leota's Seance room is because you are 15 feet above the floor and no nets...

mkepcotmgmak said:
actually, there used to not be a net around leota's table, until a fatal incident, now there is wire caging, behind the buggy's there is a small wall, but one hop over is straight down, into the dungeon... (staying with ride theming... hopefully)

raven

Chess Pieces/No Chess pieces, Ring/Pole, I Do/I Don't, who cares anyway? It's still my favorite attraction.

So for those of you who still want to argue this to death, I have something to say to you:

"Please step out to your left."
:animwink:

PirateJosh20

actually there never has been a net at the WDW mansion in the Leota scene, there is at DL. At WDW there is a floor but it is just 5-6 feet down over the wall. There are also three small steps directly in front of leota that help you down when you climb over the wall. (i used them when i sat in the chair behind Leota and helped my fellow cast member fix the raven attached to the chair.

Pirate Josh

iheartdisney91

thanks cant wait to look for that price tag! very interesting! my all time favorite ride!! well under leota's table is said to be an unused wendy figureine from Peter pan's flight and spme crocs from the river boat. i really want to know if its true a want to see a pic or something... hey how much did the tour cost you if you dont mind me asking i want to go on it one day. thanx:wave:
ps. yes i have seen the ring lol
hey pirate josh perhaps you can help me with this ?

mkepcotmgmak

Original Poster

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
The Keys to the Kingdom tour is a GREAT tour - but you will not get to tour the Haunted Mansion... you may get to enter the attraction through the Servant's Chambers (without waiting in line) but just as a note - you do not tour the Haunted Mansion on the Keys tour...

Thanks for the important clarification. Looking back, I could have been construed to indicate that you could walk through the ride like PirateJoshs' discussion. Just as you say, Key MAY include a walk through the Servant's Chambers with discussion of various lesser known facts (as mine have been) but is not guaranteed.

mkepcotmgmak

Original Poster
Thanks for the important clarification. Looking back, I could have been construed to indicate that you could walk through the ride like PirateJoshs' discussion. Just as you say, Key MAY include a walk through the Servant's Chambers with discussion of various lesser known facts (as mine have been) but is not guaranteed.

no problem! The Keys Tour is still an excellent tour, especially for Disney Nuts like all of us!

Nice avatar!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom