Question from a "Beer Snob"

Phonedave

That's not skunk... that my friend... is the hops.

Skunked beer comes from the beer being exposed to light for too long, and it tastes pretty much exactly like the smell of a fresh road-kill skunk. There are a few weird Euro brews that actually have this taste on purpose, but even a beer snob like me has my limits. :p

However, the hops... ooooh those wonderful, delicious, mouth-puckeringly bitter hops. They're a beautiful thing, definitely an acquired taste though. Took me forever to enjoy an IPA after growing up on a sweet malty lager like Yuengling. I pretty much had to force myself to drink them at first, but I'm glad I did; it's like learning how to appreciate red wine.

Close, oh so close, but at least you understand it.

'skunked' does not come from being cold, warm, then cold again, it comes from as you said - light. Lightstruck is another term for it.

What happens is when a certain chemical in beer is exposed to UV light it breaks down into a number of beasties - one of which is responsible for the skunkyness. What is this certain chemical that breaks down you ask. Why it is isohumulones, which come from where? Why from hops.

The more hops, the greater the potental for skunking. Except in Miller High Life. Miller High Life is immune to skunking. They don't use hops in their brewing process, but use a hop extract instead. The extract they use does not have isohumulones in it. No isohumulones means no skunking.

Hops should not taste like skunking. Bitter yes, piney yes, citrus yes. Skunky no. Some beers have a surphur profile that can come across as skunky. You are for the most part going to find 'odder' flavors in ales as the warm fermentation temps and use of ale yeasts leads to more aromatic esthers, giving you clove, banana, butter, orange, etc.

While I like hops myself, more does not mean better. There is a balance that needs to be there. I have made some overly hopped beers - not good. I have also put some strange things in beer with the muse was upon me. Some came out pretty good, some not so good. Wormwood was interesting. Ch__________g a half dozen lemons and limes into the secondary fermenter was not so good.

-dave

mcjaco

Optimus Mouse

I think he'd be pretty dissapointed when he picked up his luggage and it was dripping with beer. Those airport workers don't exactly handle luggage gently.

You'd be surprised. Everytime my wife goes to Chicago for business she brings home a 6 pack of Goose Island 312, and we've yet to have any broken soldiers. A grocery bag holding the beer and filled with newspaper seems to do the trick.

Now, you're pretty much guaranteed to have TSA look in your bag, but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make for a good brew.

Samadamz

learning a lot

I had to post something just because of my username....
I did want to say how completely entertained I am by how a basic "how do I get good beer cheap in WDW" ended up with some really great educational info!

Side note: I don't consider someone who enjoys crafted beers a "beer snob", but it sure fits those who keep talking down to others not as "sophisticated" in their beer choices. :rolleyes:

IndyDisney

Just for clarification, I would love to find some craft micro brews, but I'll be happy with a Sam's as that's what I frequently drink at home. I'm just not happy having to choose from Bud, Bud Light, Coors Light or Heineken. Yuck!

Just to reiterate, There are some good resources on the interwebs (ratebeer.com, Beer Advocate) with local message boards (the Orlando Crew on Ratebeer is rather active) that would be able to direct you to a good bottle shop where you'll be able to find good American Micros and Belgians (if that's what you're looking for). You'll probably have to cab it, but it could be worth it.

If you're cool with Sam Adams, then there are plenty of options mentioned on the previous pages.

Just trying to help a fellow beer "snob". I prefer "geek" or "nerd".

Cheers,

Dave

sublimesting

I like my beer bitter, black and heavy. Guiness comes close but doesn't go far enough for me. Stouts and proters are the cat's meow as far as I'm concerned. That said I will drink some "American" beers like Rolling Rock if I am pounding them like water.

Mr. Morrow

I like my beer bitter, black and heavy. Guiness comes close but doesn't go far enough for me. Stouts and proters are the cat's meow as far as I'm concerned. That said I will drink some "American" beers like Rolling Rock if I am pounding them like water.

I call it Softball beer because it so light thats what we drin while playing :lookaroun

ddbowdoin

I said it before and I'll say it again... if you're flying on an airline that gives you one free checked bag then pack as many clothes you can into a carryon and clothes in your bf/gf/husband/wife bag and use your bag to pack beer. I packed an entire case, why spend all that money down there for cheap, cheap beer. Sam Adams is pretty cheap here, doesn't hurt the brewery is 4 miles from my house.

ddbowdoin

Those lyrics don't really work any more now that PBR has become the go-to beer for obnoxious hipsters.

the new hipster beer here in new england is Narraganssett Lager, an old school beer my grandfather used to pound, real working class. only problem, tastes like gasoline... at least I can drink PBR

palmage

Thats what I was going to say but I don't mind BUd I think Sam Adams tastes Skunked everytime I have it.

Then again my favorite beer is Pabst Blue Ribbon :lookaroun
And here we have a fine example of a non-beer snob............
People drink Pabst is when the welfare check is almost gone and you can't afford Busch:ROFLOL:

Phonedave

I call it Softball beer because it so light thats what we drin while playing :lookaroun

I called it lawnmower beer for much the same reason.

I used to brew my own verision I called "garden tractor beer" which was still low in alcohol, light, mid-carbonation, bright, with a bit of a bite to it. A good thirst quenching beer, but a notch up from a lawnmower.

-dave

sublimesting

americans are beer snobs?!:lookaroun :eek:

When you think of the hardest beer drinking countries in the world they all seem like pretty good candidates:

America, England, Germany, Canada, Ireland, Scotland, Australia?? The results are actually surprising:

20. Portugal 59.6
19. Canada 68.3
18. Poland 69.1
17. Hungary 75.3
16. New Zealand 77
15. Netherlands 79
14. Croatia 81.2
13. United States 81.6
12. Spain 83.8
11. Slovakia 84.1
10. Luxembourg 84.4
9. Finland 85
8. Denmark 89.9
7. Belgium 93
6. United Kingdom 99
5. Austria 108.3
4. Australia 109.9
3. Germany 115.8
2. Ireland 131.1
1. Czech Republic 156.9

Those are litres per capita (whatever a litre is).

For once I am ashamed of my country's apparent health consciousness in this category....we can do better, I know we can.....

We apparently drink beer as well as we play soccer.

kapeman

Two favorite beer quotes:

"American beer is like making love in a canoe."

"Put it back in the horse." H. Allen Smith, after he drank his first American beer.

Granted, they don't hold as true since the craft beer resurgence.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom