Question from a "Beer Snob"

LoriMistress

I'm not sure if FL has a BevMo!, but on the way you may be able to step in there to pick up some booze. But since you're doing DME, and not have your own transportation or town car, I'm not sure if there's any place at the airport to get a six pack.

sublimesting

Although we have been to the world dozens of times, we usually have a car, so I haven't had this problem before. Since we will be using DME for our October trip, my options are going to be limited.

Problem. I really like having a six pack in the room to enjoy during "down time", but I have never been impressed with the beer selection Disney has in the resort shops. Is there anywhere on property where I can get something like Sam Adams? It's not worth it to take a taxi to the store just for that. Am I out of luck?

Thanks,

Dave

Here is what I do: Use gardengrocer.com. They do NOT have liquor or beer on their website but as a courtesy they will still bring it to you. Just ask about it when you call them. They deliver right to your resort's bell desk. Call ASAP though because they schedule delivery times and they go fast. The only issue is that you have to have a minimum $50 order (delivery is free though) and alcohol does NOT count as part of that order. They have one person shop for you and another person deliver it. They are reasonably priced and don't gouge you. What I did was ordered 4 bottles of very specific wine and a case of Sam Adams and a case of Budweiser. Since that didn't count towards my $50 I also ordered 2 cases of water bottles for the parks, and various snacks for munchies and to take into the parks. I brough the leftovers home, of which there was no surviving beer. I tipped about $20, I think. When I arrived by ME our food and beer was waiting at the bell desk. When they rolled it out so many guests waiting on their luggage were ooohing and ahhing and I heard several say ".....beer....."

The other thing you could do is ship the beer to your resort the week before.

b94ronman

here's what i do.......take the magical express to downtown disney westside......there is a Hess gas station across the parking lot......they sell plenty of beer and I think they even have 12 packs available....and its 100% cheaper....They have 24oz bottles of Heineken....$2.50......disney hotel $5 for a 12oz(Heineken is what I drink when I cant get guinness draft). Make sure you take something to carry them back in, because all they have is plastic bags if you buy by the bottle. I had as many as I could carry in those stupid bags....got back on the bus.....and everyone is just staring at me.......at least 12 green heineken bottles 'clanging' around and sticking out of the top of the bags.....not sure if they were looking at me as the "Disney drunk" or thinking 'what a lucky man, I wish I had his beer'....saves me a ton of cash!

sublimesting

here's what i do.......take the magical express to downtown disney westside......there is a Hess gas station across the parking lot......they sell plenty of beer and I think they even have 12 packs available....and its 100% cheaper....They have 24oz bottles of Heineken....$2.50......disney hotel $5 for a 12oz(Heineken is what I drink when I cant get guinness draft). Make sure you take something to carry them back in, because all they have is plastic bags if you buy by the bottle. I had as many as I could carry in those stupid bags....got back on the bus.....and everyone is just staring at me.......at least 12 green heineken bottles 'clanging' around and sticking out of the top of the bags.....not sure if they were looking at me as the "Disney drunk" or thinking 'what a lucky man, I wish I had his beer'....saves me a ton of cash!

HA HA HA HA...Leave it to the two Pittsburghers to find the best ways of getting cheap beer at Disney!!!!!

My dad is also a beer snob - only Heineken, Guinness, Hacker Pschorr, Stella, etc. for him. So we bring it along. Literally. We have a full suitcase of Dad's beer and liquor for the rest of us to use in our Disney mugs.

But lately Dad's minimizing the beer we BRING, and really enjoying Epcot. When we were little, Epcot was sort of a "Do we have to?" day. Now we all love to walk around the countries, drink, eat, watch the live entertainment - Dad's favorite is the British pub yard beers that are so tall you have to set them on the floor ;~)

Optimus Mouse

As a fellow beer snob, I empathize. As has been previously suggested, the Hess across from DD is probably your best bet. The Rose and Crown and American Pavilion in Epcot have good draft beers, but that's not really a solution for you.

A little off topic, but I think it would be fantastic if the American Pavilion showcased American micro-brews. Anything to keep the rest of the world from thinking that Budweiser and Miller Lite actually represent our idea of a good beer.

Mr. Morrow

As a fellow beer snob, I empathize. As has been previously suggested, the Hess across from DD is probably your best bet. The Rose and Crown and American Pavilion in Epcot have good draft beers, but that's not really a solution for you.

A little off topic, but I think it would be fantastic if the American Pavilion showcased American micro-brews. Anything to keep the rest of the world from thinking that Budweiser and Miller Lite actually represent our idea of a good beer.

Your idea! Four of the best beers I have ever had are Miller High Ligh the Champene of beers lol, Pabst Blue Ribbon, Rolling Rock, and Yuenling Lager. I will take them anyday over the micro beers.

CoffeeJedi

To quote the immortal Hunter S. Thompson:
Good people drink good beer.

Mr. Morrow... I'm having my doubts that you're a good person....

Mr. Morrow

To quote the immortal Hunter S. Thompson:
Good people drink good beer.

Mr. Morrow... I'm having my doubts that you're a good person....

I am telling you try a Yengling next time you are out. I dunno Sam Adams tastes like skunk juice to me. And people who drink Blue Moon irritate me, No orange in my beer please.

On the other end I do enjoy Hienekin :shrug:

djrgolf1951

Original Poster
I've had a Yeungling and it's OK. For nostalgia, I bought a 6 pak of Pabst a while ago since that's what I drank a lot in college.

Either my tastes have changed or the formula has, but it wasn't as good as I remember, but that was 30+ years ago. I would really like to find some Spaten like they serve in Germany. That's some good beer!

Mr. Morrow

I've had a Yeungling and it's OK. For nostalgia, I bought a 6 pak of Pabst a while ago since that's what I drank a lot in college.

Either my tastes have changed or the formula has, but it wasn't as good as I remember, but that was 30+ years ago. I would really like to find some Spaten like they serve in Germany. That's some good beer!

You know what there are only 2 beers that I have had that I will never have again. I have had some bad ones but these are the only 2 I will never drink again.

Guiness and Grolsh :hurl:

G-bone

So, the Magical Express that picks you up at the airport? Or the bus/shuttles that go from the resorts to the parks? Do they have 24 cases of cans that you recall? Thanks.

Finni

If you get a taxi there is a grocery store across from downtown disney.. There is also a liquor store inside it or next to it.. Not sure if you want to hike it from downtown or not.. Would be nice hike..

ddbowdoin

Thats what I was going to say but I don't mind BUd I think Sam Adams tastes Skunked everytime I have it.

Then again my favorite beer is Pabst Blue Ribbon :lookaroun

if you buy the cases warm then refrigerate when you get down to WDW they should be A OK... I went this past may, I flew jetblue (one bag each).. I packed clothes in my carryon and my gf packed food in her checked bag, I then packed 2 cases of BL and wrapped them with clothes. Cheap... I know!

:shrug::shrug::shrug:

trr1

how about taking the bus to DTD then walk off property to the beer and Liquor store across the street?

CoffeeJedi

I am telling you try a Yengling next time you are out.
Actually I like Yuengling! I grew up in Pennsylvania, that was the first beer I ever drank, I still have a soft-spot for it and order it when I'm feeling homesick. Though I can't just walk into a bar down here and say "gimme' a lager" like I could back home, I have to specify brand. (and dangit, in PA, Yuengling lager is only a buck or 2 on draft at most bars!)

I dunno Sam Adams tastes like skunk juice to me.
That's not skunk... that my friend... is the hops.

Skunked beer comes from the beer being exposed to light for too long, and it tastes pretty much exactly like the smell of a fresh road-kill skunk. There are a few weird Euro brews that actually have this taste on purpose, but even a beer snob like me has my limits. :p

However, the hops... ooooh those wonderful, delicious, mouth-puckeringly bitter hops. They're a beautiful thing, definitely an acquired taste though. Took me forever to enjoy an IPA after growing up on a sweet malty lager like Yuengling. I pretty much had to force myself to drink them at first, but I'm glad I did; it's like learning how to appreciate red wine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom