Question from a "Beer Snob"

CoffeeJedi

Phonedave said:
While I like hops myself, more does not mean better. There is a balance that needs to be there.

Yes, sorry, I didn't mean to imply that. I've some beers that were so ridiculously hopped beyond IPA but had no other flavors backing them up; one local variety was called "Hop Hog" and it was just.... not good.

I'd have to say that my all around favorite beer is Red Hook ESB; well balanced and it tastes just as good outside on a sunny afternoon as it does paired with a good meal.

RiversideBunny

OK. Knock me if you want to but one of the best beers I've ever had was when I toured the Coors factory in Golden, CO. At the end of the tour they let you have two beers straight from the tap. I got regular Coors.
It was so fresh and smooth that you could taste each individual ingredient.

When I'm not at the Coors factory, I prefer Dos Equis.
:cool:

njDizFan

Weyerbacher out of Pa. has some great ales. I really like Merry Monks. Of course do to the very high alcohol content, they tend to be a little sweet. Not for your average day of refreshment but delicious none the less.

Atomicmickey

Beer snob and avid homebrewer, here!

I was in WDW at Food and Wine, and that's the time to go for good beer!

That having been said, I engaged in some decidedly non-snob behavior
last time I was there for 10 days.

We stayed at Port Orleans Riverside. At the end of each day, I'd go into
Fulton's General Store and lay down 5 bucks for a plastic pint of BUD LIGHT.
Then I'd stroll the lit path back to my Alligator Bayou room sipping away,
and arrive very happy and tired to sleep until the next day.

I wouldn't drink Bud Light under almost any circumstance otherwise, but given the environment and circumstance, it worked for me.

Ahhhh, Riverside at night . . . . . .

Favorite beer joke:

The Guinness salesman, Coors Salesman, and Bud salesman walk into a bar.

The Coors guy says "I'd like a tall frosty Coors, please."

The Bud guy says "Give me an ice-cold Bud Light".

The Guinness guy says "I'll take a glass of milk, please"

The other two look at him strangely, and he says,

"Well, if you guys aren't going to drink beer, neither am I."

:lol:

kapeman

Favorite beer joke:

The Guinness salesman, Coors Salesman, and Bud salesman walk into a bar.

The Coors guy says "I'd like a tall frosty Coors, please."

The Bud guy says "Give me an ice-cold Bud Light".

The Guinness guy says "I'll take a glass of milk, please"

The other two look at him strangely, and he says,

"Well, if you guys aren't going to drink beer, neither am I."

:lol:

Are we going to go off the rails with jokes?

I hope so!

Here goes:

A priest comes to visit Molly McShannon to tell her that her husband died.

Father Mike: "Molly, dear, poor Patrick feel into a vat at the Guinness plant and drowned."

Molly: "Did he suffer or was it a quick death?"

Father Mike: "It was a slow death, I'm afraid. He had to get out three times to p e e ."

Da-da-da, Da-da-da!

:hammer:

Phonedave

Two favorite beer quotes:

"American beer is like making love in a canoe."

"Put it back in the horse." H. Allen Smith, after he drank his first American beer.

Granted, they don't hold as true since the craft beer resurgence.

American beer (such as Bud, Cooors, etc) used to be the 'better' beer.

When large scale brewing was started, before long distance shipping was practical the beer landscape was very different. Creating 'tasteless' beers like Bud cost more than the more robust ales.

Then Prohibition came along and threw another wrench in the works. The history of brewing in America is quite interesting. A lot of factors caused it to be the way it is.

-dave

RiversideBunny

**Sigh**
US citizens expounding on the "quality" of their beer.... :brick:
:rolleyes:

Elsinore beer anyone?

Once we were eating at a Japanese restaurant, in the US.
Everyone started talking about how good the Japanese Kirin beer was. Then someone noticed on the bottle that it said 'Brewed in Canada by Molson under license'.

:)

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
lol I love Canadian Beer as well!!! In particular Moosehead, Molson Golden, Molsen Ice, and Labatt :D

:ROFLOL: I'll never forget introducing a couple of Marines to Molson Brador in Montreal in the 70's.... They didn't last long, sadly. :lookaroun

In reality, Brador is rather uninspired as a beer, it's only claim to fame is its alcohol content. If you want a really great Canadian beer, Fin du Monde [the end of the world], is a beautifully crafted beer, stronger than Brador at 9%, but not a beer for guzzling anyway. Worth savouring. :king:

Mr. Morrow

:ROFLOL: I'll never forget introducing a couple of Marines to Molson Brador in Montreal in the 70's.... They didn't last long, sadly. :lookaroun

In reality, Brador is rather uninspired as a beer, it's only claim to fame is its alcohol content. If you want a really great Canadian beer, Fin du Monde [the end of the world], is a beautifully crafted beer, stronger than Brador at 9%, but not a beer for guzzling anyway. Worth savouring. :king:

I will give it a try sir :cool:

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Elsinore beer anyone?

Once we were eating at a Japanese restaurant, in the US.
Everyone started talking about how good the Japanese Kirin beer was. Then someone noticed on the bottle that it said 'Brewed in Canada by Molson under license'.

:)
We have a lot of beers brewed under license here, even a Guinness draft that's on par with the original [I've had both at the respective breweries and they were both top-notch :D]. Canadian breweries are often accepted by foreign brewers to reproduce their product rather than pay the shipping costs.

kapeman

American beer (such as Bud, Cooors, etc) used to be the 'better' beer.

When large scale brewing was started, before long distance shipping was practical the beer landscape was very different. Creating 'tasteless' beers like Bud cost more than the more robust ales.

Then Prohibition came along and threw another wrench in the works. The history of brewing in America is quite interesting. A lot of factors caused it to be the way it is.

-dave

True.

Those topics are actually covered in the free mini seminar that the Sam Adams rep gives during F&W.

I think it is a must do.

Atomicmickey

Fin du Monde is wonderful. There's a whole "French Canadian" style emerging that is a bit Canadian, with a healthy helping of Belgian thrown in. I love those beers.

As for "American Beer Quality", well, there's lots of it these days. It was something to sneer at, but no longer--and you're selling yourself short if you aren't giving it a whirl.

This from a beer snob, homebrewer, AND a Canadian!

So, as with all of you, this makes me fully credentialed to have my own opinion, lol.:lol:

I learned something recently. We "sorta" have President Jimmy Carter to thank for the resurgence of quality American beer. Twas during his administration that they repealed the Prohibition laws regarding home brewing. Once quality ingredients started to get out to people, and they started brewing beer at home, they started opening micro-breweries for the first time in many decades.

The rest is sudsy history.

I'm in Minnesota right now, and if you haven't had a SURLY FURIOUS, you're really missing something--a whole new breed of IPA, crafted with my newly favorite SIMCOE hops. I saw someone reference Weyerbacher above, and I think they have a double simcoe IPA that I haven't been able to get my hands on--yet!:)

Oh--and my favorite spot to watch Illuminations is on the steps
in front of CANADA. (just to keep some WDW content in here!)

sublimesting

"Yesterday scientists revealed that beer contains small traces of female hormones. To prove their theory, the scientists fed 100 men 12 pints of beer and observed that 100% of them gained weight, talked excessively without making sense, became emotional, and couldn't drive. No further testing is planned."Sorry ladies...

zurgandfriend

the new hipster beer here in new england is Narraganssett Lager, an old school beer my grandfather used to pound, real working class. only problem, tastes like gasoline... at least I can drink PBR

I didn’t know they still made it!

For us old timers Narragansett used to sponsor Red Sox baseball broadcasts. I can still remember Curt Gowdy saying "Hi Neighbor have a Gansett.”

And a favorite quote:
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer.Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.--Dave Barry

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Fin du Monde is wonderful. There's a whole "French Canadian" style emerging that is a bit Canadian, with a healthy helping of Belgian thrown in. I love those beers.

As for "American Beer Quality", well, there's lots of it these days. It was something to sneer at, but no longer--and you're selling yourself short if you aren't giving it a whirl.

This from a beer snob, homebrewer, AND a Canadian!

So, as with all of you, this makes me fully credentialed to have my own opinion, lol.:lol:

I learned something recently. We "sorta" have President Jimmy Carter to thank for the resurgence of quality American beer. Twas during his administration that they repealed the Prohibition laws regarding home brewing. Once quality ingredients started to get out to people, and they started brewing beer at home, they started opening micro-breweries for the first time in many decades.

The rest is sudsy history.

I'm in Minnesota right now, and if you haven't had a SURLY FURIOUS, you're really missing something--a whole new breed of IPA, crafted with my newly favorite SIMCOE hops. I saw someone reference Weyerbacher above, and I think they have a double simcoe IPA that I haven't been able to get my hands on--yet!:)

Oh--and my favorite spot to watch Illuminations is on the steps
in front of CANADA. (just to keep some WDW content in here!)
I know... Some fine microbrews have crossed my lips over recent years whilst visiting the US, but it's a Canadian rite of passage to cast aspersions on US beers.... :lookaroun

snowpony

here's what i do.......take the magical express to downtown disney westside......there is a Hess gas station across the parking lot......they sell plenty of beer and I think they even have 12 packs available....and its 100% cheaper....They have 24oz bottles of Heineken....$2.50......disney hotel $5 for a 12oz(Heineken is what I drink when I cant get guinness draft). Make sure you take something to carry them back in, because all they have is plastic bags if you buy by the bottle. I had as many as I could carry in those stupid bags....got back on the bus.....and everyone is just staring at me.......at least 12 green heineken bottles 'clanging' around and sticking out of the top of the bags.....not sure if they were looking at me as the "Disney drunk" or thinking 'what a lucky man, I wish I had his beer'....saves me a ton of cash!

Thanks so much for the tip! We are going on Dec. (our 2nd trip) and were wondering what we could do about alcohol in the hotel room. We're on a fixed budget so this really helps a lot. :sohappy:

cmatt

When you think of the hardest beer drinking countries in the world they all seem like pretty good candidates:

America, England, Germany, Canada, Ireland, Scotland, Australia?? The results are actually surprising:

20. Portugal 59.6
19. Canada 68.3
18. Poland 69.1
17. Hungary 75.3
16. New Zealand 77
15. Netherlands 79
14. Croatia 81.2
13. United States 81.6
12. Spain 83.8
11. Slovakia 84.1
10. Luxembourg 84.4
9. Finland 85
8. Denmark 89.9
7. Belgium 93
6. United Kingdom 99
5. Austria 108.3
4. Australia 109.9
3. Germany 115.8
2. Ireland 131.1
1. Czech Republic 156.9

Those are litres per capita (whatever a litre is).

For once I am ashamed of my country's apparent health consciousness in this category....we can do better, I know we can.....

We apparently drink beer as well as we play soccer.

hah - 99 litres per head... a pint is: 0.568261485 litres... :) i presume that is the consumption average per person?

you can keep your rice water also :lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom