Question about Disney Stand-Alone Resorts (D.C, Hawaii)

Debbie

With this news about these two resorts; is it safe to assume the rumor I posted on an earlier thread just might be true? That Disney purchased 500 acres in Satsuma, LA?

Mickey_777

Original Poster
What about an AmAdv or a HoP type attraction?
Yeah, I was thinking somthing along those lines too...

With this news about these two resorts; is it safe to assume the rumor I posted on an earlier thread just might be true? That Disney purchased 500 acres in Satsuma, LA?

I've only read news articles about the one already underway in Hawaii and the 15 acres recently purchased at National Harbor in D.C./Maryland...

TomHendricks

Here is the update from the latest Disney Files magazine for DVC members.

DisneyHawaii.jpg

MousDad

One thing the DC resort will definitely be, is prime location for a DC area wdwmagic meet.

I nominate anyone besides myself to be in charge of that. :ROFLOL:

Mr.EPCOT

What about an AmAdv or a HoP type attraction?

Seriously, instinct tells me that Disney won't be interested in doing that kind of thing. They'll want to build whatever will generate the maximum profit on the land they've purchased. Using some of that space to do a rehash of an attraction that exists elsewhere that many people will have seen already is not the best way to make money. Spending millions of dollars developing a single brand new attraction that will generate minimum returns as opposed to the multitude of other more profitable things that could occupy its space is not the way to do it. I'm telling you, the only way you'll see any kinds of rides or attractions is probably a water park, or maybe some kind of DisneyQuest-style attraction.

Mickey_777

Original Poster
Seriously, instinct tells me that Disney won't be interested in doing that kind of thing. They'll want to build whatever will generate the maximum profit on the land they've purchased. Using some of that space to do a rehash of an attraction that exists elsewhere that many people will have seen already is not the best way to make money. Spending millions of dollars developing a single brand new attraction that will generate minimum returns as opposed to the multitude of other more profitable things that could occupy its space is not the way to do it. I'm telling you, the only way you'll see any kinds of rides or attractions is probably a water park, or maybe some kind of DisneyQuest-style attraction.

A DisneyQuest would be awesome...

majortom1981

I wouldnt belive that anytime a company purchases a lot of land its automatically assumed its disney.

Disney will only really be buying like 10 acer tracts in big cities to make hotels/dvc resorts. Anything even remotely close to wdw or california i cant see happening. (another park wise.)

Dont expect any attractions. maybe some water slides. A lot of people like me would love the disney hotel experience in other vacation places. No attractions are needed. Maybe a character breakfast or dinner or two but thats about it.

luvlifeinfl

One thing the DC resort will definitely be, is prime location for a DC area wdwmagic meet.

Well you have been elected! I am board for it. So you will arrange for wdwmagic to be there for the grand opening.

I agree though I think this would be a great location for such an event.

yankspy

We should eventually have one of those. There seems to be quite a few of us beltway people here.

WDWFanatic

Just an update that the hotel is still a go for the national harbor location after the hawaii location is complete. I caught a glimpse of a sketch of the building and it was not colonial style, definately modern. It will consist of the hotel and an added indoor feature for resort guests only. The building will be visible from the water. That's all i can tell for now. :zipit:

maelstrom

Unless it's indoors, I don't see Disney building a water park in DC. The other local themeparks, Busch Gardens and King's Dominion, aren't open year round because it gets cold and snowy even in Virginia.

Mickey_777

Original Poster
Just an update that the hotel is still a go for the national harbor location after the hawaii location is complete. I caught a glimpse of a sketch of the building and it was not colonial style, definately modern. It will consist of the hotel and an added indoor feature for resort guests only. The building will be visible from the water. That's all i can tell for now. :zipit:

:p My thread lives! Anyways, I was just thinking about this. I really hope they do offer something for the general public. Even if it's a store like they put in Times Square but with DC specific merchandise (went last weekend and liked it a lot unlike most people). Indoor feature for guests only? Hmm...what are the chances they make something really cool?

WDWFanatic

I know there is no lego store at the harbor and they mentioned they were waiting to see what disney was doing first. I will be visiting with the developers of the harbor in the next couple months and they are going to give me a tour perhaps I will be able to see some more. I would think putting some sort of store is a given for a disney hotel. We shall see.

WDWFanatic

Just a quick update, I was up at the National Harbor yesterday and found out that like I thought they will have DVC available at the resort. There is also a proposed waterpark for the guests. Not much else to say until they finish the Hawaii project. I will be up there monthly for meetings so if anything changes I should know pretty quick.

WDWFanatic

I am in commercial real estate and working with them on another large project in the area. We get along very well and talk disney so they give me a few details.

WDWFanatic

Definately check it out, Visit the Peeps store, its very cool. We parked in the front lot outdoors and it was $3 an hour. lots of new restaurants that arent the same names you see all over.

MarkTwain

Awww... not colonial? I was hoping to stay in a hotel that looked like the American pavilion at Epcot or something. :D Thanks for sharing! Any other word on design details you think you can share?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom