Question about Disney Stand-Alone Resorts (D.C, Hawaii)

flavious27

Hello everyone,

I'm new here and so far I really like what I see. I truly enjoy a good Disney vacation and I was thrilled to learn Disney is planning to build a resort here in my backyard of Washington D.C.

I would like to know if anyone has any information as to what Disney would do with a stand-alone resort. From what I've read they purchased 15 acres (at National Harbor) and that's much more land than needed just for a hotel. Does anyone know what's being planned for the resort in Hawaii? Have they begun construction yet and could something similar come to D.C.? What kind of attractions can we expect Disney to build at these resorts considering the space/land available? Anybody know anything? Thanks guys.

It depends on how many rooms and whatever they will have to see if 15 acres is too small, but neighboring Gaylord National is about 42 acres. I don't think that there will be any rides, it wouldn't fit.

WDWFanatic

Awww... not colonial? I was hoping to stay in a hotel that looked like the American pavilion at Epcot or something. :D Thanks for sharing! Any other word on design details you think you can share?

I was not even supposed to see the concept pics they shared with me. Its just a tall rectangle with a rounded top on it with some nice details. They could have a totally different design later on but thats what I saw. It should blend in nicely with the rest of the harbor but you will definately see it from the water since it sits at the top of the project.

flavious27

Awww... not colonial? I was hoping to stay in a hotel that looked like the American pavilion at Epcot or something. :D Thanks for sharing! Any other word on design details you think you can share?

With the location, it wouldn't work. If disney was going to make a colonial themed hotel, it would either be at a park.

MarkTwain

With the location, it wouldn't work. If disney was going to make a colonial themed hotel, it would either be at a park.

You might be right. The Hawaiian resort has a heavily Polynesian style though, kind of like a giant version of something you might see in Adventureland, even though it's surrounded by more modern hotels.

If they wanted something a bit more modern, I think it'd be classy if they went for a sort of contemporary take on neoclassical, since Greco-Roman style buildings are such a huge part of Washington DC architecture.

Something like:

Kempinski-Hotel-Night-View1.jpg

533289.jpg

amaliagen3.jpg

Dunloe_Castle_2.jpg

flavious27

You might be right. The Hawaiian resort has a heavily Polynesian style though, kind of like a giant version of something you might see in Adventureland, even though it's surrounded by more modern hotels.

If they wanted something a bit more modern, I think it'd be classy if they went for a sort of contemporary take on neoclassical, since Greco-Roman style buildings are such a huge part of Washington DC architecture.

Something like:

Kempinski-Hotel-Night-View1.jpg

533289.jpg

amaliagen3.jpg

Dunloe_Castle_2.jpg

Well I meant at either WDW, DLP or DLT. A colonial style hotel at wdw would be interesting, though knowing tdo it would be a deluxe.

That style would fit in with the area but I don't know how tall they want the building, and the size and style would clash.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom