Project Z

_Scar

If they announce WRE for Shanghai.... :(

I don't know why the would since western humor would probably not be the most recognizable to them :shrug: but still.... that's a slap in the face

Anywho, this is all so exciting, but even if MK gets something else... where does that leave Epcot and DAK? :brick:

I'm thinking Frontierland and it has to do with either Toy Story or PatF.... Franchises.

JustInTime

Really? You sure?
Make no assumptions.

I'm not gonna name the land yet, since that would likely give the whole thing away, and I don't need to pi$$ off TDO right now. As soon as I hear a definate "green", I'll spill all I know.

Well, I was going off what that member said...

But I trust you and your judgments. Can't wait to hear more.

enoe01

Lee Thanks for all your info so far on here. I cant wait to finally hear the big news!

Erik

Really? You sure?
Make no assumptions.

I'm not gonna name the land yet, since that would likely give the whole thing away, and I don't need to pi$$ off TDO right now. As soon as I hear a definate "green", I'll spill all I know.

_Scar

Well, with Fantasyland getting all this stuff, TLand already having quite a bit for everyone of all ages- I think an E-ticket would kind of balance it out

JafarMaleficent

Ok I have it narrowed down to 2 things. Tron in tomorrowland or fire mountain in adventureland.I'm probaly wrong. I wish we could see some Shanghai concept art. No matter what it is thanks Lee,Raven and Jaun for sharing your knowledge with us.

montyz81

WRE = Western River Expedition - Think of Frontierland, just BIGGER
WRE was actually a combination of BTMRR and Pirates of the Caribbean. Because so many complained there wasn't a Pirates in Florida in 1971, they changed the WRE Boat ride to Pirates. From the plans drawn up, the WRE boat ride was going to be much better then Pirates and even longer then the CA Pirates ride.

raven

Here's the thing with building an attraction, especially an "E-ticket" attraction: It has to have staying power.

Attractions take a very long to from concept to the time it actually opens. If WDI were to start drawing up plans for an attraction on the next big Disney movie before the movie is released to the public, they risk the change of the movie bombing in theatres and they'd scrap their ideas. If they wait to see how well a movie does before they decide then they risk the hype dying down by the time the attraction opens.

What I am saying is that if they base a movie off of a film or character, it needs to either have been around for a while with gaining popularity or they can draw upon movies and ideas from the past with the same staying power. The opposite of this would be to build a whole new original attraction that has nothing to with Disney movies or current characters.

So it's strange to hear the odd suggestions thrown out like "I hope it's a Homeward Bound ride!" or "Maybe something to do with Enchanted." (These are just examples, not actual quotes).

If you want to have an idea what they might be planning, you have to start thinking like an Imagineer. :animwink:

wizards8507

The thing I like about the thought of Tron is that it's not latching onto the success of a wildly popular franchise, and that it's an entirely original Disney creation. I know the films have been moderately successful but I feel like there's much more creativity that could go into a Tron attraction than if somebody plopped a new Star Wars attraction somewhere. With all the hype about The-Boy-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, people (including myself) are looking for a brand that will draw people. I'd much rather see an original concept that stands on its own, regardless of whether it came from a blockbuster record-breaker or a more esoteric piece. I guess my main point is that nobody comes to ride Splash Mountain because they're such huge fans of Song of the South. I'm confident that a Tron attraction could be one of those things where a kid in 20 years is remembering it as his favorite ride, completely unaware that there were ever two movies that inspired it.

Edit: After reading what Raven said as I was typing this, I think my point is even clearer.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Here's the thing with building an attraction, especially an "E-ticket" attraction: It has to have staying power.

Attractions take a very long to from concept to the time it actually opens. If WDI were to start drawing up plans for an attraction on the next big Disney movie before the movie is released to the public, they risk the change of the movie bombing in theatres and they'd scrap their ideas. If they wait to see how well a movie does before they decide then they risk the hype dying down by the time the attraction opens.

What I am saying is that if they base a movie off of a film or character, it needs to either have been around for a while with gaining popularity or they can draw upon movies and ideas from the past with the same staying power. The opposite of this would be to build a whole new original attraction that has nothing to with Disney movies or current characters.

So it's strange to hear the odd suggestions thrown out like "I hope it's a Homeward Bound ride!" or "Maybe something to do with Enchanted." (These are just examples, not actual quotes).

If you want to have an idea what they might be planning, you have to start thinking like an Imagineer. :animwink:
You mean like this?:lol:
RohdeCartoon.JPG

imagineer boy

Maybe its the ultimate destruction of SGE and the triumphant return of Alien Encounter? :D

But no I'm giving TDO WAAAYYYYY too much credit here...

wizards8507

I think it will be Epcot related. New Pavilions will be added with new attractions.

To summarize what Lee has said:

IF it happens:

It WILL be in the Magic Kingdom.
It WILL NOT be in Fantasyland.
It WILL NOT be in Fronteirland.
It WILL NOT be Adventurers' Club related

Did I miss anything, anyone who's been paying attention?

NYwdwfan

Maybe its the ultimate destruction of SGE and the triumphant return of Alien Encounter? :D

But no I'm giving TDO WAAAYYYYY too much credit here...

If they (finally) get rid of Stitch - and aren't bringing back AE - I hope they gut the space and make something totally new. It didn't work as Mission to Mars (IMO), AE was awesome but they ruined it with Stitch. Enough sitting in a circle staring at something in the middle of the room. An original layout/concept in that space would be welcome (IMO - of course!)

As an aside I took my 7 year old on/in Stitch in December - I didn't want to do it but she was all insistent. When it was over she looked at me and said, "that's IT?! No wonder there's never a line".

raven

The thing I like about the thought of Tron is that it's not latching onto the success of a wildly popular franchise, and that it's an entirely original Disney creation. I know the films have been moderately successful but I feel like there's much more creativity that could go into a Tron attraction than if somebody plopped a new Star Wars attraction somewhere. With all the hype about The-Boy-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, people (including myself) are looking for a brand that will draw people. I'd much rather see an original concept that stands on its own, regardless of whether it came from a blockbuster record-breaker or a more esoteric piece. I guess my main point is that nobody comes to ride Splash Mountain because they're such huge fans of Song of the South. I'm confident that a Tron attraction could be one of those things where a kid in 20 years is remembering it as his favorite ride, completely unaware that there were ever two movies that inspired it.

Edit: After reading what Raven said as I was typing this, I think my point is even clearer.

You post confuses me just a little because an "original concept" and one from a Disney film (Tron) and two different things. That's was one of my points. Obviously if they were to build a Tron attraction they certainly wouldn't leave out any marketing or merchandise opportunity around the movie. They would take every liberty to include these things and the guest would know about that movie if they have to slam it down their throats. That keeps guests buying and seeing Disney movies when they leave the parks. Older guests remember the first Tron and the current film draws upon that and newer viewers. It's a great idea.

The one attraction that goes away from this theory though is Song of the South (Splash Mountain) for obvious reasons. But they still sell merchandise! :lol:

NYwdwfan

To summarize what Lee has said:

IF it happens:

It WILL be in the Magic Kingdom.
It WILL NOT be in Fantasyland.
It WILL NOT be in Fronteirland.
It WILL NOT be Adventurers' Club related

Did I miss anything, anyone who's been paying attention?

They're not ripping out the tree.
It's not an overlay of an existing ride/attraction.
We should like it.

imagineer boy

If they (finally) get rid of Stitch - and aren't bringing back AE - I hope they gut the space and make something totally new. It didn't work as Mission to Mars (IMO), AE was awesome but they ruined it with Stitch. Enough sitting in a circle staring at something in the middle of the room. An original layout/concept in that space would be welcome (IMO - of course!)

As an aside I took my 7 year old on/in Stitch in December - I didn't want to do it but she was all insistent. When it was over she looked at me and said, "that's IT?! No wonder there's never a line".

The problem with the AE/SGE show building is that there's really no room at all to do anything else with the space. Its not big enough for an E-ticket or even a simple dark ride. There's just the two preshow rooms and the two main event theaters. That's why the space has been reutilized with the theater in the round concept.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom