Project Z

misterID

The Space pavilion would have made losing Horizons much more bearable and understandable. It would have been a good replacement. M:S just doesn't cut it.

JustInTime

Jim had a good article about it a few years ago.
Read and learn:
http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_chief1/b/jim_hill/archive/2005/02/10/542.aspx

My initial thoughts? A new pavilion would have been awesome! But with further reading, I saw that they wanted to keep the dreadful horizon's building (great ride, dated/ugly facade). Then I took a second and really thought about everything...that entire concept seems dated even for 1994. And it is dated for the same reasons that we no longer have Wonder's of Life and Living Seas. Epcot really didn't age well. And this would have had the same fate. The time for a large classroom style learning centers is gone. Today's tourists do not want to see that because of yesterday's filed trips to Epcot. It bored us all and ruined the "pavilion" concept. I am sure if we would have gotten an entire Space Pavilion, we would all be begging for a Wall-e re-theme about right now. Glad we got Mission Space...

misterID

It was interactive, the updates could have made it even more interactive. What's so great with M:S? You're basically pushing buttons that do nothing and eventually operate on their own. You have no control, unlike the space walk ride.

I really don't get what's so great about a spinning (or non spinning) simulator?

Horizons was so "outdated" that they ripped off it's ending for the refurb of SSE.:D

The Living Seas was just boring.

There's really nothing wrong with, what someone here once labled, edutainment, when done right.

Outdated in 1984? I haven't seen anyhting like what The Space Pavilion was going to be now. :/

JustInTime

It was interactive, the updates could have made it even more interactive. What's so great with M:S? You're basically pushing buttons that do nothing and eventually operate on their own. You have no control, unlike the space walk ride.

I really don't get what's so great about a spinning (or non spinning) simulator?

Horizons was so "outdated" that they ripped off it's ending for the refurb of SSE.:D

The Living Seas was just boring.

There's really nothing wrong with, what someone here once labled, edutainment, when done right.

Outdated in 1984? I haven't seen anyhting like what The Space Pavilion was going to be now. :/

Yes, you are talking about the concept art. I am sure all the other boring pavilions looked great on paper. Keep in mind it's all the same people here. They don't seem capable of making education fun. Thankfully they gave that up. Aspects (really just one) of the Pavilion sounded neat but the rest sounded like a snooze. I am not saying that M:S is the best ride, I am just saying that in my opinion, I am glad we got it.

And I didn't say Horizons was dated as a ride. The building (most all of Epcot's are) itself was absolute hideous.

NoChesterHester

I love Mission Space, I really do. It is one of the most unique theme park attractions anywhere. My issue has always been what many others complain about, it is almost awesome. Just almost.

It feels like they spent all this money on a really beautiful building exterior and innovative ride system and cheapened out on completing the story. I remember riding it for the first time and thinking not only was the "training" storyline a dud, the ride exit through that unthemed corridor was a huge missed opportunity.

Seeing some of the alternate more fleshed out concepts further reinforces my feelings.

misterID

Yes, you are talking about the concept art. I am sure all the other boring pavilions looked great on paper. Keep in mind it's all the same people here. Aspects (really just one) of the Pavilion sounded neat but the rest sounded like a snooze. I am not saying that M:S is the best ride, I am just saying that in my opinion, I am glad we got it.

And I didn't say Horizons was dated as a ride. The building (most all of them are) itself was absolute hideous.

Well, the concept art looks like you're flying around in a real rocket :animwink:

The ride itself, where you're hanging on the track and you have control at what you're looking at is very cool. The only thing you can compare it to is Buzz Lightyear on a much larger scale. And considering how they could have updated it, the possibilities would have been endless. Plus, all you're looking at is an early concept for the Space Pavilion, instead a fleshed out one.

The thing that gets me, not so much your post, but how some people keep stating how outdated things were... Well, yeah, and they were never given a proper refurb. ALL RIDES get outdated and need extensive refurbs. Sorry if I came off defensive.

I think Eddie had a cool idea(s) for M:S, where it was going to be more like 2001 A Space Odysee. But with what we got, it could have been much, much, better. I was actually really looking forward to M:S, and I was a huge Horizons fan. At this point, I'm more interested in what a big refurbed Horizons (like what was planned at one time) would have been like.

PhilharMagician

Tron 3 is confirmed. Any hope to resurrect project Z?

Yeah I saw that and was shocked! I will recant my words from early on in this thread saying that there was no real market for Tron except for the original cult followers. I honestly never thought Tron would have a part 3. I will say that I will believe it when they actually start shooting Tron 3. Maybe project will happen?

lebeau

I'm still looking for a legit confirmation of Tron 3. The closest I can find is an article about the Tron: Legacy director that suggests that Tron 3 is likely. But certainly no indication it has gotten a green light. It looks like the internet may be jumping the gun. Anyone have a link that says otherwise?

If anyone's interested, I finally got to see Tron 2 last night. (Thank you, Netflix!) Here's my review:

http://lebeauleblog.wordpress.com/2011/04/06/review-tron-legacy/

PKD

Tron 3 is confirmed. Any hope to resurrect project Z?

There is currently a Project Z being worked on as I have previously mentioned, it's just not at one of the four parks but at a deluxe resort. I can't go into detail about it publicly, sorry, but it is in motion.

Now as Lee has mentioned, there appears to be another Project Z out there, but I can confirm that the current one at WDW is not a park attraction.

huntzilla

Original Poster
There is currently a Project Z being worked on as I have previously mentioned, it's just not at one of the four parks but at a deluxe resort. I can't go into detail about it publicly, sorry, but it is in motion.

Now as Lee has mentioned, there appears to be another Project Z out there, but I can confirm that the current one at WDW is not a park attraction.

Hmmm, my interest has been piqued. This wouldn't be a fireworks/nighttime show at Saratoga Springs/DTD?

flavious27

Yeah I saw that and was shocked! I will recant my words from early on in this thread saying that there was no real market for Tron except for the original cult followers. I honestly never thought Tron would have a part 3. I will say that I will believe it when they actually start shooting Tron 3. Maybe project will happen?

I saw the link to the article posted on gizmodo. I think it will be a gamble for Disney to produce tron 3. Looking at the numbers, disney barely broke even with theater ticket sales. We got both movies on blu ray yeste3rday and tron 2 was impressive and a great movie. Leading into a part 3, they will have tron uprising to help booster ticket sales. A ride and a separate land will be the logical steps needed to bring in more than $400 million in ticket sales.

It would be great to see the lounge in real life and experience the light cycle battle. To emulate that same look, disney would need to have a flying coaster that illuminates the track as a train advances through the ride. There would also need to be empty light cycles that race each train.

PKD

Hmmm, my interest has been piqued. This wouldn't be a fireworks/nighttime show at Saratoga Springs/DTD?

No, this project is not in the DtD area at all, nor is it a show of any kind. This is nothing on the scale of an attraction, just an update to an original resort.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
No, this project is not in the DtD area at all, nor is it a show of any kind. This is nothing on the scale of an attraction, just an update to an original resort.

Anything to do with all those blueprints a little while back around Ft. Wilderness?

tirian

Yes I am, there is actually a project going on right now with that designation. I am not contradicting anything that Lee has said about other Project Z's, but I have first hand knowledge of this current project.

Right, that's its actual name. It's a resort update.

The proposed "Sorcerers in the Magic Kingdom" that was mentioned on MiceAge last week is much more interesting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom