Project Z

csm

Well, if they already know the design for china, and the Mk version would be a duplicate, then they know the specific area they would need for the MK version. And I don't think they would be pitching the idea of a MK version if they didn't have a location in mind.

Am I over thinking this?

You are, I'm afraid. Just because the ride fits in Shanghai does not mean it will fit in an existing park - but the point of the matter is there IS a bunch of expansion room around Tomorrowland so I wouldn't worry about it.

I'd worry more about if it becomes a ride they pursue in the first place! :lookaroun

PalisadesPkteer

What about the plussing of a ride in AL near Tiki Room?

Indications are that it is not JC. If it is not the Tiki room itself and not likely POTC and Lee said not touching SF Tree house (and CBJ is in Frontierland) then it has to be Aladdin's carpets.

MickeyPeace

Ok I want my medal for being the second person in this thread to say Tron in Tomorrowland while everyone else was speculating about Adventureland. Ok my first guess was Wall-E in Tomorrowland but hey I was warm, lol.​

My next inclination would be that the ride vehicle will resemble Harry Potter somewhat. It would be some sort of Raytheon arm on a track, part ride part simulator 4D.
Lee?

:king:

csm

My next inclination would be that the ride vehicle will resemble Harry Potter somewhat. It would be some sort of Raytheon arm on a track, part ride part simulator 4D.

Lee?

:king:

What you refer to as a "Raytheon arm" is a KUKA arm. Raytheon sponsors the Sum of All Thrills attraction. They are not the owner of the technology used there-in.

No, Tron will not be a KUKA arm. Lee and I have both already admitted it is a launched roller coaster ride system.

Universal has a multi-year exclusivity deal with KUKA for the ride system used in Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. You won't see that turn up in another park chain's dark ride for quite some time.

yeti

Was I dreaming, or did I hear that Tron would utilize the Vekoma Pandora's Box system?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts6wzmaEUwc

http://www.vekoma.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=35&Itemid=30

pandorrasbox17.jpg

ChrisFL

Premium Member
What you refer to as a "Raytheon arm" is a KUKA arm. Raytheon sponsors the Sum of All Thrills attraction. They are not the owner of the technology used there-in.

No, Tron will not be a KUKA arm. Lee and I have both already admitted it is a launched roller coaster ride system.

Universal has a multi-year exclusivity deal with KUKA for the ride system used in Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. You won't see that turn up in another park chain's dark ride for quite some time.

For the specific one that Universal uses, you're correct, but Disney could use another type of KUKA arm like is displayed at the Raytheon exhibit.

csm

Was I dreaming, or did I hear that Tron would utilize the Vekoma Pandora's Box system?

You were not dreaming; someone did say it, but it was nothing more than their personal speculation which in this case was incorrect.

For the specific one that Universal uses, you're correct, but Disney could use another type of KUKA arm like is displayed at the Raytheon exhibit.

No - Disney cannot put a KUKA arm of any size on a track and use it as a ride vehicle. Nor can anyone else. Not until the exclusivity contract Universal paid for expires.

Skyway

I know I'm irresponsibly over-analyzing an unconfirmed rumor, but here it goes:

Magic Kingdom could have 2 indoor roller coasters right next door to each other in Tomorrowland. Both will likely be illuminated with blue accent lights. Both will likely feature pulsating techno music.

On it's face, these two rides sound strikingly similar.

"But Tron will be so much different than Space Mountain!" screams a million drooling fanbois who have no idea what they're promising.

And you're probably right.

But, ironically, the only reason a new Tron coaster could be placed near Space Mountain is because of the lackluster SM refurb last year.

Think about it.

If Space Mountain had received a slick new track, new cars with onboard audio, and state-of-the-art effects, I don't think Disney would even consider adding a second indoor coaster to this area--- for budget reasons, for strategic reasons, and for thematic reasons.

I don't care how different of a ride system or indoor theming Tron may have. If WDW had received a DL-caliber, 21st century Space Mountain upgrade, there is no way they'd built another 21st century coaster that close.

But by keeping SM a rickety old 70's wild mouse coaster, with off-track music and a new "retro" theme, Disney has given themselves some creative breathing room to build a new experience that will (hopefully) not even be comparable.

Disney can also build an "intense" ride without completely alienating people who prefer the original SM's simplicity.

And the accountants cannot argue "We just dumped a bunch of money on that area of the park!"

I certainly doubt that the SM rehab was intentionally cheapened because Tron or some other high tech coaster would be coming.

But if there is a silver lining to the lackluster SM rehab, Disney is in a position to try again and not just improve a classic (which some will say is fine as-is) but rather build something new and innovative.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
No - Disney cannot put a KUKA arm of any size on a track and use it as a ride vehicle. Nor can anyone else. Not until the exclusivity contract Universal paid for expires.

I didn't say put it on a track, I just said they could use the arms the way they're being used right now in Innoventions

csm

I know I'm irresponsibly over-analyzing an unconfirmed rumor, but here it goes:

A couple of things -- firstly I agree with much of your sentiment.

Tron would be a very different ride - if it even happens in Florida - a multi-launch coaster, right off, would separate it from your very accurate "70s wild mouse" description of Space Mountain.

Yes, they would both be indoors, but does that matter if they are completely different rides? Pirates of the Caribbean and The Haunted Mansion are both indoors too. Granted that's a much broader comparison, but I think you can see the point that exists within it.

Your notion that perhaps the Space refurbishment was cut so far back in order to make a Tron coaster fit in later down the road, while interesting, is really just a conspiracy theory with no basis. The truth is there was no Tron coaster talk when the Space refurb was in the planning - and worse, budgeting stages. The possibility of the if of Magic Kingdom getting Tron is a somewhat recent development.

I'm surprised it's not been brought up yet, but for a while there was consideration going toward a full refurbishment of Tomorrowland for Tokyo Disneyland. It would have involved a new E-ticket indoor coaster tentatively named "Cybermid." In its bare bones, Cybermid was a Rock 'n' Roller Coaster clone with a high-tech theme overlay (and obviously no Aerosmith.) It would have co-existed with Space Mountain in that case, so the notion is not so off the wall, nor in that sense is it even new. This ride is merely an example and *not* rebranded as Tron. I have confirmed for certain that Tron is *not* a Rock 'n' Roller Coaster clone for Shanghai.

NoChesterHester

What does "multiple launch coaster" mean? Thanks in advance.

Small World and Pirates use the same ride system. Never heard anyone complain about that...

Skyway

Your notion that perhaps the Space refurbishment was cut so far back in order to make a Tron coaster fit in later down the road, while interesting, is really just a conspiracy theory with no basis.

I should have made myself more clear. I do not think there was a "master plan" to prepare for Tron or something similar.

But I do think it may prove to have been been a "happy accident" that the SM was not refurbed as well as some had hoped.

In your example of RnRC existing next to Tokyo's SM, I think that would work...as long as Tokyo's SM did not get upgraded with a smooth track and onboard audio as RnRC's clone would likely have.

If WDW's SM had gotten all the bells and whistles during the refurb, I don't think any of us would be having a Tron conversation.

lazyboy97o

Or until another company comes up with a way to pull off something similar without infringing on KUKA's patents.

csm

What does "multiple launch coaster" mean? Thanks in advance.

Small World and Pirates use the same ride system. Never heard anyone complain about that...

Multi-launch means just what it sounds like - the train launches several times over the course of the ride, not just once. Busch Gardens Tampa Bay's new coaster, Cheetah Hunt, will be a great example. The ride actually has three launches over the course of its track layout.

You're totally right about it's a small world and Pirates of the Caribbean. The moral of the story is it's not always about the ride system as much as what you do with it and how you use it to tell a unique story.

csm

I should have made myself more clear. I do not think there was a "master plan" to prepare for Tron or something similar.

But I do think it may prove to have been been a "happy accident" that the SM was not refurbed as well as some had hoped.

In your example of RnRC existing next to Tokyo's SM, I think that would work...as long as Tokyo's SM did not get upgraded with a smooth track and onboard audio as RnRC's clone would likely have.

If WDW's SM had gotten all the bells and whistles during the refurb, I don't think any of us would be having a Tron conversation.

"Happy accident" is actually a good way of phrasing it - though I'm not in any way happy that Space Mountain was redone so on the cheap. Blah!

Tokyo's Space Mountain did just a few years ago get a large refurb, and at the end of the day sadly it was very similar to what ended up years later happening at MK. Although it was a direct clone, it did not get the same treatment that Disneyland received. No new track, no new trains and no onboard audio, but instead a snazzy relighting of the queue and slightly modernized station. Yeah, sound familiar? Double blah!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom