Project Z

Didn't realize people were still so into trying to figure out this project. If it is greenlit then I'll be happy. But there are a few other upgrades at the other parks that I'd rather see get the go first.

Now you layer on more for the other parks? :) Why do I think you're getting a kick out of this?:ROFLOL:

JWG

It's in a park that starts with an M. :p

So, Magic Mountain then? They've already announced The Green Lantern coming, that's no secret. Opens later this year.

http://www.sixflags.com/magicMountain/rides/GreenLanternLA.aspx

So, that's no big news then... ;)

Frankly, if I had to get on this, I would have said Tomorrowland for the new attraction, but not Tron. I would have assumed a new stand alone attraction to take the Galaxy Place Theater Parking space.

I would have then said that Jungle Cruise was finally getting its much due Refurb we've been hearing about for quite some time. But we know that's not the case, so oh well.

spaceghost

Here's the thing with building an attraction, especially an "E-ticket" attraction: It has to have staying power.

Attractions take a very long to from concept to the time it actually opens. If WDI were to start drawing up plans for an attraction on the next big Disney movie before the movie is released to the public, they risk the change of the movie bombing in theatres and they'd scrap their ideas. If they wait to see how well a movie does before they decide then they risk the hype dying down by the time the attraction opens.

What I am saying is that if they base a movie off of a film or character, it needs to either have been around for a while with gaining popularity or they can draw upon movies and ideas from the past with the same staying power. The opposite of this would be to build a whole new original attraction that has nothing to with Disney movies or current characters.

So it's strange to hear the odd suggestions thrown out like "I hope it's a Homeward Bound ride!" or "Maybe something to do with Enchanted." (These are just examples, not actual quotes).

If you want to have an idea what they might be planning, you have to start thinking like an Imagineer. :animwink:

So it's not a Black Cauldron ride? Man... :drevil:

spaceghost

*sigh*
To clarify:

The thing I'm talking about is not in either of the lands beginning with "F".
The thing raven is referring to....has no such limits and could be anywhere.;)

I never said the ride I'm talking about would not tie in to an existing property.

thumbnail.aspx

huntzilla

Original Poster
I *really* didn't want this thread to turn in a begging for info thread. Guys, we just found out a SW Mine Cart, lets be happy with that. I opened this thread simply to speculate on a potential new project using deductive reasoning from the hints everyone has left us. It looked like a few people were questioning my credibility; for the record I know nothing. I have no sources :lol:. I just read this forum way too much and try my best to figure things out through what people say.

After reading today's posts I will say we can cross out Fire Mountain. Based on Lee's comments, this idea doesn't seem to be on the table. Now I know a lot of people are saying Tron but I really can't see it. I LOVED the movie but lets be honest, this movie did not reach fiscal expectations. Besides if there is any Tron attraction planned, its for DL. Plus if it was Tron, the insiders would be hinting at this ride being developed for DL not overseas parks. To me, this points back to Pirate Mountain. This attraction was originally planned for HKDL and I could see it being rolled in SDL. Plus this would make a lot of sense with a new trilogy being planned. Also, Raven had talked about exec's really pushing for this, this franchise could sell as much merch as HP if done right. Hopefully Randy Savage reads this because I am sure he has some concept art he could post. Again, I could be completely wrong but the insiders said it has been mentioned in this thread. Anyone want to do an idea round up?

Also, because people don't say it enough, thank you to everyone who do provide us with info even if it drives us insane :lol:.

PS. Merf was never a nice boy, he was always crazy :p

TinkerBelle8878

I've finally read through all of this and there're are some really interesting ideas. I think basing an attraction on Tron would be a mistake. Neither movie was a huge success and five years from now no one will care about it. I never really got why a sequel was even made except for the fact that everything is now a remake or sequel.

I remember reading about the Mystic Mansion(?) a while back and that sounded incredible. Maybe something like that with the interactive mystery but not a mansion since we already have Haunted.

Now we've only been told no Fantasyland and no Frontierland. Everyone then thinks Adventureland or Tomorrowland.

What about Liberty Square? Just a thought.

If its not Pixar based and possibly not even movie based, then it opens a wide range of ideas that have been talked about for years. Fire Mountain for one.

Or it could be a combo of some old ideas.

Personally I'd love it to be with the Muppets. Its an upcoming movie but characters that have their loyal fanbase and are timeless and age limitless. Would TDO put them in the Magic Kingdom though? There isn't nearly enough of them in the parks and they would sell merchandise.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Z for Zoog Disney? :(

Or maybe they're turning Adventureland into Zombieland? :ROFLOL:

Seriously though, I'm glad they are at least working towards bringing new things into the parks!

Zurg..like Evil Emperor Zurg? :lookaroun

Zoolander?

Zombieland?

rapunZel?

But seriously, I don't see how they could fit anything into Liberty Square.

TRON works because even if people aren't in love with the plot, they do love the lightcycles and how clean it all looks in a digital world.

WDW FTW

Somebody stated it earlier, but i dont want a new E-ticket attraction based off a movie. some of the best rides are just original ideas, but maybe if disney comes out with another film soon on the status of TLM BatB LionKing then maybe they will look into that one day ...

SDav10495

A quick two cents re: Tron naysayers (and forgive me if the point has been made already)--I wouldn't rule out this rumor based solely on the perception that the film "wasn't a hit".

First of all, that perception is problematic to begin with. "Tron: Legacy" has done very respectable business. It was not quite the critical success or box office smash that Disney may have hoped for, but then again they hyped the movie for years and advertised the hell out of it in the past few months, so the fact that it didn't meet those very high expectations doesn't necessarily make it a flop.

Second, let's not forget: a film doesn't have to be a runaway box office phenomenon on the order of "Pirates" to be an attractive choice for a theme park attraction (even if it seems these days that the parks only chase the safe, sure-fire moneymakers). In fact, it may very well be that Disney sees Tron's presence in the parks as a way to ensure that the franchise keeps generating money in DVD sales and sequels. This is not a radical idea; in fact, it's a very old one--let's not forget that a good number of the Disney films we cherish today as classics ("Dumbo", "Sleeping Beauty", etc.) were originally box office failures and owe much of their staying power to the parks. You design a solid attraction, you keep people interested in the brand for years to come--and with a property like "Tron" that lends itself so easily to a potentially advanced, high-profile ride, I can see the theme park route being irresistible to Disney.

And I should note I'm not the first to bring up this theory...just something to keep in mind as we devour these tasty rumors. :slurp: It's one of the big reasons I'm liking "Tron" as a guess for the possible Tomorrowland project, despite whatever disappointment (perceived or real) there may have been at the box office.

RandySavage

Tron is the safest bet. Despite not being the megahit the Studio had hoped for, the sequels (2 additional films) are still in development and, if greenlighted, could come out in 2014-16 range, which would be in the same timeframe as it would take to greenlight and build the ride. It also shares costs with the other parks for which it is being built and qualifies for the SYNERGY directive that Iger has discussed many times. Disney has invested a lot in Tron and are likely hoping its popularity will grow with DVD release and an animated series.

However, the Shanghai co-development statement goes against Tron for a number of reasons stated above (e.g., Marvel-land potentially replacing Tomorrowland, Chinese not as familiar with Tron, etc.).

huntzilla, I don't see a Pirate (Skull) Mountain coming because PotC & Splash Mountain (the two attractions Pirate Mountain is based on) are already there and in close proximity. I think WDI will want to try a new ride type/system (which leads back to Tron).

A lot of the guesses seem to be limited to older projects that have leaked to the online fan community (e.g., Fire Mountain). For every Fire Mountain or Discovery Bay, there are probably 100-1,000 ride concepts that go through blue sky conceptualization (artwork/modeling) at WDI and have never become part of the public discourse - kind of mind blowing.

For example, this Irian Jaya coaster developed for Paris Adventureland in the late 1990s.
IJ_ComboTemp4b.jpg

You can read about it and see lots of artwork at former Imagineer Tom Schillenger's blog:
http://3dconceptualdesigner.blogspot.com/2010/03/project-review-e-ticket-paris-1997.html

camshron55

After reading most of the thread I asked my son what ideas came to mind when thinking about Shanghai/China. The first thing out of his mouth was, "Mushu's Wild Rocket Ride". :ROFLOL:

FWIW - Someone mentioned the pad behind/near Pirates. I was thinking about the scene in Pirates 3 where Elizabeth is in the shantytown with the rickety looking bridges and boardwalks. (Sorry for the poor description. I don't remember the name of that place.) The theming there seems like it could be very immersive while winding back toward a newly built ride. Unfortunately, I haven't the foggiest notion what the ride would be.

But, from the most recent posts, it sounds like that location is way off base. So, back to waiting for the time that Lee and Raven can provide more details.

Atomicmickey

A quick two cents re: Tron naysayers (and forgive me if the point has been made already)--I wouldn't rule out this rumor based solely on the perception that the film "wasn't a hit".

First of all, that perception is problematic to begin with. "Tron: Legacy" has done very respectable business. It was not quite the critical success or box office smash that Disney may have hoped for, but then again they hyped the movie for years and advertised the hell out of it in the past few months, so the fact that it didn't meet those very high expectations doesn't necessarily make it a flop.

Second, let's not forget: a film doesn't have to be a runaway box office phenomenon on the order of "Pirates" to be an attractive choice for a theme park attraction (even if it seems these days that the parks only chase the safe, sure-fire moneymakers). In fact, it may very well be that Disney sees Tron's presence in the parks as a way to ensure that the franchise keeps generating money in DVD sales and sequels. This is not a radical idea; in fact, it's a very old one--let's not forget that a good number of the Disney films we cherish today as classics ("Dumbo", "Sleeping Beauty", etc.) were originally box office failures and owe much of their staying power to the parks. You design a solid attraction, you keep people interested in the brand for years to come--and with a property like "Tron" that lends itself so easily to a potentially advanced, high-profile ride, I can see the theme park route being irresistible to Disney.

And I should note I'm not the first to bring up this theory...just something to keep in mind as we devour these tasty rumors. :slurp: It's one of the big reasons I'm liking "Tron" as a guess for the possible Tomorrowland project, despite whatever disappointment (perceived or real) there may have been at the box office.

I'm with you on all of this. They also somewhat leaked that they're going to greenlight a sequel. The way they sorta "shoved this one at us" means that they think it has legs as a franchise/theme even if the first movie wasn't an enormous blockbuster.

I thought the movie was "OK" and that I wouldn't mind seeing someone else play in that world--I thought the direction was stilted.

So, in sum, yeah. Tron. Probably.

WDW FTW

Well technically this was a tron sequal, even though it was more of a remake. The original tron was such an important movie because of its breakthrough in special effects and stuff, this newer version is no different. The 3d CGI surpassed those of avatar. so i can see Disney riding the franchise and then boosting the movies popularity later on.

yensidfan1991

Hi i'm new been reading the threads for awhile but decided to join em haha...

I think if it's Tron is there any chance that they would just completely change Tomorrowland Speedway? and make it a Grid idea with the vehicles?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom