Project Thermal Springs = Adventureland Crowding Improvements

britain

I wonder what would the new eatery establishment would consist of?

It's looking pretty conclusive that it's simply allowing Bengal BBQ to have its patrons eat in the Indy shop area. But I do wonder how the decor might be affected.

Last edited:

jerryp49

From Natalie Price , a CM :

Here's confirmation of what's going on. This information is on the Cast Members website...

image_43031.png

George Lucas on a Bench

One of the biggest problems with this area is not the Tarzan tree or the strollers in the middle of the walkway or the Indiana Jones line sticking out, but people just stopping or walking ludicrously slow in the middle of the walkway. Why do they do that?! There are thousands of people behind you!

JD2000

One of the biggest problems with this area is not the Tarzan tree or the strollers in the middle of the walkway or the Indiana Jones line sticking out, but people just stopping or walking ludicrously slow in the middle of the walkway. Why do they do that?! There are thousands of people behind you!
To look around at the details of the land? It would be awesome if these crowds were dealt with so the beautiful lands themselves (and not just the rides) could be truly adsorbed. They contribute greatly to remove that part of the experience. You can't really stop and look around (unless you're inconsiderate) or find a place to sit down, for instance. People seem to ignore how this part of the experience has been lost and yet we pay more then ever to visit.

D

Deleted member 107043

To look around at the details of the land? It would be awesome if these crowds were dealt with so the beautiful lands themselves (and not just the rides) could be truly adsorbed. They contribute greatly to remove that part of the experience. You can't really stop and look around (unless you're inconsiderate) or find a place to sit down, for instance. People seem to ignore how this part of the experience has been lost and yet we pay more then ever to visit.

I so agree with this. We're marveling at how clever the Imagineers were who designed such a beautiful compact space yet complain when guests stop to get their bearings or take a moment to absorb it all.

Adventureland is lovely, but there are too many obstacles and obstructions in that area for the type of crowds that Disneyland's operations teams let through the front gates each day. All the visitor can do is push their way through, and it can sometimes be unpleasant. It's a similar situation in parts of Tomorrowland.

TP2000

Original Poster

Thank you! Apparently Disneyland even alerted the media about this change.

From Natalie Price , a CM :

Here's confirmation of what's going on. This information is on the Cast Members website...

View attachment 209386

Well, that makes it official. My grand conspiracy theory that swept in with the June Gloom this year has been proven to be Fake News, and my brief yet beautiful dream of buying everyone a round at Treetop Tapas n' Tipples above the Jungle Cruise dock has just turned into nothing more than valet parking for strollers. :(

So, with that, I'm going to change the title of this thread from "Project Thermal Springs = Skipper Canteen for Disneyland?" to the far more grounded in reality title of "Project Thermal Springs = Adventureland Crowding Improvements".

180º

Well, that makes it official. My grand conspiracy theory that swept in with the June Gloom this year has been proven to be Fake News, and my brief yet beautiful dream of buying everyone a round at Treetop Tapas n' Tipples above the Jungle Cruise dock has just turned into nothing more than valet parking for strollers. :(

So, with that, I'm going to change the title of this thread from "Project Thermal Springs = Skipper Canteen for Disneyland?" to the far more grounded in reality title of "Project Thermal Springs = Adventureland Crowding Improvements".
All the same, I think you deserve to have a custom "Adventureland Treetop Tapas n' Tipples" shirt. Think of all the know-it-all APs* you'll confound. They'll think it's real, like some obscure piece of Disneyland history they aren't cool enough to know about. ;)

*No offense to APs. I am one myself.

SSG

Twas a lovely dream though.

TP2000

Original Poster
@TP2000 Since you won't be able to post a vlog of you getting slowly buzzed at Treetop Tapas n' Tipples, maybe you can post one of you getting slowly buzzed at your home?

How many butlers do you have, by the way?

I had to let Mr. French go last year. He was just getting very argumentative over Star Wars Land. I've heard that he is now employed just over the hill in Anaheim Hills by another aging bachelor by the name of Baxter.

Back to Project Thermal Springs, a name that is really funny. Project Hot Water is a great name for this crowd control plan. It's impressive that they are ripping out Retail $pace for table seating and stroller parking, which tells me they are serious and TDA execs really do understand how much hot water they are in.

Of course, the dark side of that cloud is that this is likely all part of the preparations needed to add Fastpass/Maxpass to Pirates of the Caribbean. During the last month long Pirates refurbishment this winter they ripped up the pavement in front and laid data cables and infrastructure to support the Maxpass Touchpoints like they have at WDW. But with Pirates being the highest capacity E Ticket in existence, that is going to push thousands of people per hour out into the walkways.

When Pirates gets Fastpass, they will be in hot water indeed.

D.Silentu

I had hoped your initial ideas would have been closer to what was in store, but it is good to see Disney being proactive about crowds. However, I've never really understood the fuss about the Bengal BBQ. I remember picking up some breadsticks (tiger tails?) for a snack at some point in the 90's, but to my recollection they were bland. Can someone enlighten me as to what is the attraction of this place?

TP2000

Original Poster
I had hoped your initial ideas would have been closer to what was in store, but it is good to see Disney being proactive about crowds. However, I've never really understood the fuss about the Bengal BBQ. I remember picking up some breadsticks (tiger tails?) for a snack at some point in the 90's, but to my recollection they were bland. Can someone enlighten me as to what is the attraction of this place?

Bacon Wrapped Asparagus, skewered and grilled.
348s.jpg

It's an easy, quick place to get a light meal or hearty snack and then move on to the epic E Tickets nearby.

Also, like most Disneyland dining spots, the menu and quality has noticeably improved since the 1990's.

jmuboy

Some comments :

1- Tahitian Terrace needs to return. DL needs more dining not less
2- confused on Tropical Imports new home. Where is there space next to Bengal for this new location?

D.Silentu

1. Absolutely!

2. It sounds like they're simply squeezing it into that Adventureland retail block that borders the Bengal BBQ. Basically they're just changing a sign.

yookeroo

I can empathize. My dream of turning the Skyway chalet into a biergarten died recently too.

TP2000

Original Poster
I wonder if the name is meant to be a play on releasing pressure. Similar to how hot spring are formed by geothermal vents releasing pressure.

:banghead: Of course! Why didn't I think of that?

I bet you are right.

But it's the whole thing of giving this project a murky secret code name, Project Thermal Springs, that has me convinced there's more to this than just clearing up congestion that has been there for 15 years. Giving up profitable retail space for non-profitable space, a secret code name, press releases, it all tells me they have a long-term goal here. And I think it's part of getting ready for Pirates Fastpass.

yookeroo

:banghead: Of course! Why didn't I think of that?

I bet you are right.

But it's the whole thing of giving this project a murky secret code name, Project Thermal Springs, that has me convinced there's more to this than just clearing up congestion that has been there for 15 years. Giving up profitable retail space for non-profitable space, a secret code name, press releases, it all tells me they have a long-term goal here. And I think it's part of getting ready for Pirates Fastpass.

Is this a "secret code name" or just the name of the project?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom