Project Thermal Springs = Adventureland Crowding Improvements

TP2000

Original Poster
This is an interesting one to follow. I'm wondering if it might be Aladdin for it's kitchen it shares, it's old Tahitian Terrace dining space, and Jungle cruise space.

Yes, that would make the most sense, wouldn't it? And yet this permit is for re-zoning existing retail space into dining space. So they want to turn an existing shop into a restaurant of some sort.

But if it's just a simple switcheroo and not some brand new concept, why the mysterious drama of giving it a secret code name like Project Thermal Springs?

TP2000

Original Poster
I'm dying at the code name... Project Thermal Springs. What? Lol.

It seems like these folks in TDA, and perhaps WDI, take their jobs just a tad too seriously. They give secret code names to stuff, they guard info like it's the nuclear codes, and they stage lame hazmat cleanups at parties (which everyone promptly ignores) to desperately try and get a viral buzz going. Then they leave a dumb manhole cover in the planter, just to make sure everyone knows it was supposed to go viral.

Uh, TDA... that's not how viral works. :rolleyes:

All this cloak and dagger stuff, for a theme park. TDA execs need to just relax and remember they aren't protecting the nation's air defenses nor are they working on a cure for cancer. They aren't running a coast-to-coast railroad that moves millions of tons of cargo per week to keep the economy running, nor are they operating a power or water utility that provides energy and clean water to tens of millions of people.

It's just a theme park that might open a new Treetop Tapas n' Tipples snack bar thing in Adventureland.

TP2000

Original Poster
Losing the Tahitian Terrace was one of the biggest mistakes of DL imo. I loved that restaurant with its ambiance, seeing the jungle cruise boats go by... if they can reopen sit down dining there it would be FANTASTIC. Please let this be happening.

Agreed. They closed that down in the early 1990's, just a few years before retro Tiki culture came back into vogue. Then they spend a ton of money to re-invent a tiki bar at the Disneyland Hotel in a space that is too small and that has a less than charming view. (Nevermind that Disneyland Hotel CM's seem incapable of providing anything more than Airport Sheraton level service at Ritz-Carlton prices).

And there it sits abandoned, for over 20 years. In a park that is crammed full of people at crowd levels undreamed of in 1992, or even 2002.

Curious Constance

Agreed. They closed that down in the early 1990's, just a few years before retro Tiki culture came back into vogue. Then they spend a ton of money to re-invent a tiki bar at the Disneyland Hotel in a space that is too small and that has a less than charming view. (Nevermind that Disneyland Hotel CM's seem incapable of providing anything more than Airport Sheraton level service at Ritz-Carlton prices).

And there it sits abandoned, for over 20 years. In a park that is crammed full of people at crowd levels undreamed of in 1992, or even 2002.
I bet they are just waiting for alcohol sales to begin in DL. Once everyone sees the end of the world won't occur if you can buy a drink inside DL, I'm sure they will make use of these underused locations to springs up various bars.

TP2000

Original Poster
I bet they are just waiting for alcohol sales to begin in DL. Once everyone sees the end of the world won't occur if you can buy a drink inside DL, I'm sure they will make use of these underused locations to springs up various bars.

I agree. 20 years ago I would not have thought alcohol sales in Disneyland were a good idea. Even 10 years ago it would rub me the wrong way.

But now I think it's time to offer that in an appropriate way at select venues. A glass of wine with dinner at the Blue Bayou, a beer with lunch at Carnation Cafe, a tiki drink at Treetop Tapas n' Tipples in Adventureland in the evening, some weird alien cocktail brew at the Cantina in Star Wars Land, etc.

Curious Constance

I agree. 20 years ago I would not have thought alcohol sales in Disneyland were a good idea. Even 10 years ago it would rub me the wrong way.

But now I think it's time to offer that in an appropriate way at select venues. A glass of wine with dinner at the Blue Bayou, a beer with lunch at Carnation Cafe, a tiki drink at Treetop Tapas n' Tipples in Adventureland in the evening, some weird alien cocktail brew at the Cantina in Star Wars Land, etc.
You're setting yourself up for some major disappointment when Treetop Tapas n' Tipples never comes to be.

britain

And they gave the replacement such a beautiful entryway - only to never make much use of it. Every time we've been there since the 90's, someone in my party asks "Oo - is that an Aladdin attraction? Or restaurant?" And 95% of the time, the answer is "Nope, just a nice sign."

SSG

Given the location and code name 'Project Thermal Springs' this will obviously be an Indiana Jones themed eatery designed around Indy's search for the Fountain of Youth.

Antaundra

What's changed in the last 10 years that now makes you think alcohol in Disneyland is a good idea?

Kiwiduck

i don't know about TP but for me there have been no major issues in Disneyland despite the fact that alcohol is free flowing in the area around Disneyland including in DCA. There have also been few to no issues at the Magic Kingdom park since alcohol was introduced there. This leads me to believe it would not be a problem to introduce it at Disneyland either.

bluerhythym

It just makes no sense to add something to Adventureland anywhere other than Aladdin's Oasis. Is it possible that they had re-zoned the area to a commercial space after the Oasis closed? Maybe they had intended to turn the area into a shop and never got around to it, or maybe there's some type of advantage to having it zoned that way (cheaper costs, less regulations - any zoning experts want to chime in?)

Adding some tables to Tropical Imports sounds possible... if they didn't already have a ton of seating available at the Oasis. Disney isn't really one to give up retail space if they don't have to.

It seems like these folks in TDA, and perhaps WDI, take their jobs just a tad too seriously... All this cloak and dagger stuff, for a theme park.

And yet here people are on the internet trying to figure out what it means! ;) I'm not sure its cloak and dagger as much as it is just a fun way to internally identify a project that might not have an official name yet. I hardly think its Iger and Mickey Mouse in the situation room coming up with this one.

D

Deleted member 107043

It just makes no sense to add something to Adventureland anywhere other than Aladdin's Oasis. Is it possible that they had re-zoned the area to a commercial space after the Oasis closed?

This is exactly what I'm wondering.

D

Deleted member 107043

Nothing. It was a good idea 10 years ago too. 20 even.

I've mentioned before that I always, even as a kid, thought it was weird that the very first thing guests would see when they stepped off the Monorail entering the Disneyland Hotel was a bar. And it was named after a Disneyland attraction! It's also odd that you can still smoke in Disneyland but can't buy a beer.

TP2000

Original Poster
What's changed in the last 10 years that now makes you think alcohol in Disneyland is a good idea?

They've shown with recent developments, particularly Carthay Circle Lounge, the 21 Royal Street private dining room, and the greatly expanded Club 33, even the recent Food & Wine festivals in DCA, that they can manage and Imagineer a space and environment that offers alcohol but doesn't feel like a County Fair or a frat party. They've been very classy and very appropriate with their alcohol service in both parks. They've gained my trust on this issue in the last 5 years. I trust them to do it right if wine, beer or cocktails show up on the menu at The Blue Bayou, or Star Wars Land's Cantina, or Adventureland's new Treetop Tapas n' Tipples.

i don't know about TP but for me there have been no major issues in Disneyland despite the fact that alcohol is free flowing in the area around Disneyland including in DCA. There have also been few to no issues at the Magic Kingdom park since alcohol was introduced there. This leads me to believe it would not be a problem to introduce it at Disneyland either.

Exactly.

I've mentioned before that I always, even as a kid, thought it was weird that the very first thing guests would see when they stepped off the Monorail entering the Disneyland Hotel was a bar. And it was named after a Disneyland attraction! It's also odd that you can still smoke in Disneyland but can't buy a beer.

Great point. I kind of miss the old Monorail Bar at the Disneyland Hotel's monorail station. Oddly themed to a Gay 90's cable car instead of a 1960's space age monorail. And apparently mink stolls were highly recommended for ladies in the early 1960's. Everyone has a date, and everyone looks intensely happy. Very, very happy. And not an adorable child in sight. Sometimes I really miss the 20th century.
monorail+bar.jpg

ctrlaltdel

http://www.laughingplace.com/w/news...d-finally-improving-adventureland-crowd-flow/
Here you go:

"After years of being Disneyland's most congested area, Disneyland is making changes to Adventureland to improve crowd flow. On June 12, the Indy Outpost and South Seas Traders stores will close to accomplish this work while also enhancing the dining experience at Bengal Barbecue. Then on June 30, Bengal Barbecue will reopen with indoor seating in the space previously occupied by Indy Outpost and South Seas traders. Stroller parking will relocate to the former Tropical Imports location. Tropical Imports will open at its new location next door to Bengal Barbecue while Adventureland Bazaar will feature select merchandise from South Seas Traders and Indy Outpost.
This work will be done before Fantasmic! returns. By moving stroller parking, the walkways should be clearer for foot traffic"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom