Progress at Everest!

WDWFigment

or a recent blurry attempt at a picture that shows the tarp while barreling through the room. Who has the guts to take their DSLR with a semi-pro flash unit on the ride?
be sure to turn off the auto focus before riding

:wave:

If you don't mind waiting 2 weeks, I will have shots for you. I'm assuming nothing will have changed in that room between now and then...

disneysroyal411

Friend rode it 4 times in a row yesterday (got FastPasses from a family who was leaving) and said the Yeti room was pitch black - couldn't see anything.

He said, "If the Yeti is there, he's definitely hidden well."

I have a hard time believing they got him out of the mountain. Nobody ever saw a crane, and it would be impossible without one - and would take more than one night. Heck, it took them 3 nights to move Pooh's tree across the sidewalk.

That sentence made me laugh out loud! LOL, it is kind of sad... But then again, I don't know how the tree was in the ground and what it's like to move things.

Anyway, I think that the fixing of the Yeti is the Summer Nightastic promotion of a ride/park.

Tom

Beta Return
That sentence made me laugh out loud! LOL, it is kind of sad... But then again, I don't know how the tree was in the ground and what it's like to move things.

Anyway, I think that the fixing of the Yeti is the Summer Nightastic promotion of a ride/park.

Ha! Yeah, it sounds harsher than I meant for it to be. And it's funny to read now.

After watching their behind-the-scenes video on the Disney Blog, their 3 nights of moving the tree were definitely legitimate. They did it right, and carefully. I was just implying that moving a tree across a flat sidewalk took 3 nights and a crane - removing the Yeti from the mountain will take a much bigger (and noticeable) crane, and several nights.

officeboy

Ha! Yeah, it sounds harsher than I meant for it to be. And it's funny to read now.

After watching their behind-the-scenes video on the Disney Blog, their 3 nights of moving the tree were definitely legitimate. They did it right, and carefully. I was just implying that moving a tree across a flat sidewalk took 3 nights and a crane - removing the Yeti from the mountain will take a much bigger (and noticeable) crane, and several nights.

I know very little of these things except that Yeti=big, and the Yeti super structure support is reportedly separate from the building and track. You seem quite confident in what it takes to modify a Yetis location. While I am not disagreeing with you I am curious how you know what it takes to move him.

I assume getting him out of the building involves an internal crane, wench or something to get the parts out. But a crane external to the building to move the parts?

Tigerace81

It would take a external crane to lower him out. They would likely take him out the way the tracks lead into the cave he is in and then lower him down to the ground.

officeboy

It would take a external crane to lower him out. They would likely take him out the way the tracks lead into the cave he is in and then lower him down to the ground.

I can't find it now, but I remember somebody (Lee/Martin maybe?) mentioned his removal and the 2 red roll up doors at ground level. Memory is foggy and a quick search here turned up zilch.

I looked at some aerial pics on Bing and didn't see any roof openings. At least nothing I could identify. But then I don't know what I am looking for.

I guess I assumed you can't get a crane big enough through the access doors and would need roof access to lift anything.

MKCP 1985

Nobody ever saw him go into the mountain. So, who says a crane is the only way to get him out? :lookaroun

Who cares, really? Just fix him!

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
They come is all sizes...

Nobody ever saw him go into the mountain. So, who says a crane is the only way to get him out? :lookaroun

Who cares, really? Just fix him!
One would figure if the SOB is broken, taking him apart in pieces would make sense.

Ironically enough, on the Travel Channel 2 nights ago, I watched about 30 seconds of the special on WDW and I turned it when they showed E:E and all the Yeti coverage. If you havent seen it, they interview a few people and they are talking about him etc. I dont expect them to go back and edit their special, it is just a sign of how long ago this was taped, and how long this have been the way they are.

RSoxNo1

They come is all sizes...

One would figure if the SOB is broken, taking him apart in pieces would make sense.

Ironically enough, on the Travel Channel 2 nights ago, I watched about 30 seconds of the special on WDW and I turned it when they showed E:E and all the Yeti coverage. If you havent seen it, they interview a few people and they are talking about him etc. I dont expect them to go back and edit their special, it is just a sign of how long ago this was taped, and how long this have been the way they are.

I think... maybe I believe

While nothing has been said with any degree of certainty on here, it seems like the Yeti itself isn't broken. The problem is that the Yeti is putting a large amount of stress on it's support structure, and it's the support structure that requires the repairs.

This could mean that the screen is indicative of a few possibilities
1. They are fixing and improving the support structure to return the Yeti to it's intended range of motion.
2. They are fixing the support structure to a point where it can allow for a smaller range of motion for the Yeti
3. They are not fixing the support structure and modifying the Yeti's motion so that it doesn't put any strain on the support structure.

If I had to guess, they're doing option 2.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT

While nothing has been said with any degree of certainty on here, it seems like the Yeti itself isn't broken. The problem is that the Yeti is putting a large amount of stress on it's support structure, and it's the support structure that requires the repairs.

1. They are fixing and improving the support structure to return the Yeti to it's intended range of motion.
2. They are fixing the support structure to a point where it can allow for a smaller range of motion for the Yeti
3. They are not fixing the support structure and modifying the Yeti's motion so that it doesn't put any strain on the support structure.

I really just cant even guess since I have heard things all over the board for so long.

I think we all agree... like Doug said, just fix him. :animwink:

Tom

Beta Return

I couldn't have come up with a better assessment myself. Options 1, 2 and 3 are all extremely valid.

#1 is possible, but it would almost certainly require the temporary removal of the Yeti from the mountain, using my aforementioned cranes.

#2 is more likely, since they really need him to move in a way similar to his original fashion, or else the entire story is ruined.

#3 I hope they're not doing this, but if the original engineers screwed up badly enough (which does happen), this might be the only solution without tearing apart 1/3 of the mountain or more.

stitch2008

I can't find it now, but I remember somebody (Lee/Martin maybe?) mentioned his removal and the 2 red roll up doors at ground level. Memory is foggy and a quick search here turned up zilch.

I remember reading that as well. The Yeti was also assembled inside the mountain too if I'm not mistaken. The mountain was finished before the figure arrived. And on one of those Everest tv specials on Discovery Channel, the showed footage of them installing the figure. It looks as if the figure was put together inside the mountain in pieces. So if it was put together inside, i'm sure it could be taken apart piece by piece and repaired.

Tigerace81

But the Yeti isnt broke. The support structure is. If it was just the Yeti it would be fixed by now. Since its the structure its more complex and harder to fix.

Tomi-Rocket

hope so....

I hope this is true. My whole family loves EE! It's one of our faves when we go. I loved it the first time we ever went on and the Yeti was still in full motion then.

zweltar

Whether it's the support structure or the Yeti, I just hope it gets fixed properly. Halfhearted efforts only cause more problems in the long run, IMO. Just do whatever they need to do to get EE running in its intended manner.

Tigerace81

How would it lead to bigger problems? It would at least restore motion or brace the support structure or at least get repairs going. Then when more funds are available you finish the repair.

Lee

Adventurer
Nobody ever saw a crane, and it would be impossible without one -
Not true.
No crane would be required to remove the yeti from the mountain.

RSoxNo1 said:
They are fixing and improving the support structure to return the Yeti to it's intended range of motion.
This, plus a general refurb of the Yeti is what they are aiming for.
And again...no crane will be needed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom