Problems with Philharmagic 7/22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mmmeredith

Dude, I'm not saying you said anything about the American language. I think we are having communication problems, here. What I'm trying to get across is that while some intend to be rude, some may be rude accidentally because of language and cultural differences. For instance, if I went to France, I would probably be smiling a lot (bad habit, I know). Where I live that is considered normal and friendly, but many French people may perceive me as mentally unstable, as many French people only smile if there's a good reason. Would I mean to appear mentally unstable? Absolutely not, but I would smile none the less because that is what is appropriate in my cultural context, and thusly what I am used to doing. I think we should give people the benefit of the doubt rather than guessing at their intentions.

askmike1

dxer07002 said:
Whether they understand or not, following the rules is not so hard...
Let's set up a little hypothetical situation here. You are an english speaking person (you know a little spanish and some basic french). You have never been to a Disney park before and one day you choose to go to Tokyo Disneyland or maybe Disneyland Paris (perhaps you go there because they are cheaper than the American parks). You enter a theater and the host says (depending what park you are in) "他のために場所を空けるあなたの列を渡る移動ずっと。" or "Veuillez déplacer toute la manière à travers votre rangée faisant de la place pour d'autres." You are not going to know what they are talking about. If you do not understand the directions then you are not going to be able to follow the rules (because you don't know what the person is saying). Knowing the basic english is good, but nobody can memorize every English word used in WDW.

-Michael

Absolutely NOT!!!! What country are we in??? Answer: The The national language is American. NOT Brazilian, Spanish, Cuban, or anything else. If you travel to their country then yes, that is the time to learn their language, if you want to become a more educated person and learn lots of other languages then by all means do so, But just because these foreigners come over here doesn't mean that we should bend over backwards and try to speak their language. </FONT>
Cuban is not a language but a country. By the way some of you write on these posts it seems as if you dont travel much around the globe because it would be practically impossible to learn even the basic language of all the countries that I have visited or plan to visit.

peter11435

askmike1 said:
Let's set up a little hypothetical situation here. You are an english speaking person (you know a little spanish and some basic french). You have never been to a Disney park before and one day you choose to go to Tokyo Disneyland or maybe Disneyland Paris (perhaps you go there because they are cheaper than the American parks). You enter a theater and the host says (depending what park you are in) "他のために場所を空けるあなたの列を渡る移動ずっと。" or "Veuillez déplacer toute la manière à travers votre rangée faisant de la place pour d'autres." You are not going to know what they are talking about. If you do not understand the directions then you are not going to be able to follow the rules (because you don't know what the person is saying). Knowing the basic english is good, but nobody can memorize every English word used in WDW.

-Michael
I agree with nearly everything you said. However, no matter where you are from or what language you speak, you should know that you should not stop in the middle of a theater. If you don't want to sit on the end then don't rush to be the first in a row.

wannab@dis

Mmmeredith said:
Man, no one is reading my posts at all, are they? It's easier to speak a language than to understand a language. Study a new language for a while if you want to experience this first hand. Many non-native English speakers do not understand precisely what they are saying, especially since simple phrases like "USA sucks" can easily be learned by watching TV (soccer matches, perhaps?). I don't think it is appropriate to accuse people of pretending not to understand a language...I dare say it is insulting.

Who cares whether it's harder or easier to understand the language? That doesn't negate the fact they are yelling the phrase or being total jerks while at the parks. Just because you don't understand the language doesn't mean that you have to leave your common sense at home.

Granted, many tour groups of teenages from the States seem to have this same mentaility. Just visit in December while the Pop Warner mess is going on. Same thing except those groups include cheerleaders that scream at the top of their lungs while in lines.

askmike1

peter11435 said:
I agree with nearly everything you said. However, no matter where you are from or what language you speak, you should know that you should not stop in the middle of a theater. If you don't want to sit on the end then don't rush to be the first in a row.
Exactly. It is lack of common sense that make some people rude and stupid, not language difficulties. People can't learn (& memorize) every word of a language, but they can learn to have some common sense.

-Michael

dave2822

It's all confirmation bias anyway. You will be more apt to find a certain thing if that's what you set out to do.

This isn't to say tour groups can't be tough to deal with, but so can any other family, it just so happens tour groups are easier to spot, those brightly colored shirts should serve as targets.

If I set out in the parks tomorrow and look for 10 teenagers who litter, I may very well find them and support my theories. But I may not notice the 10 or more other children or adults who litter as well because I do not already have a pre-set belief that they will cause trouble or not pay attention to rules.

Captain Chaos

Mmmeredith said:
Dude, I'm not saying you said anything about the American language. I think we are having communication problems, here. What I'm trying to get across is that while some intend to be rude, some may be rude accidentally because of language and cultural differences. For instance, if I went to France, I would probably be smiling a lot (bad habit, I know). Where I live that is considered normal and friendly, but many French people may perceive me as mentally unstable, as many French people only smile if there's a good reason. Would I mean to appear mentally unstable? Absolutely not, but I would smile none the less because that is what is appropriate in my cultural context, and thusly what I am used to doing. I think we should give people the benefit of the doubt rather than guessing at their intentions.

OK, let's give people the benefit of the doubt.. Let's have people from foreign contries come here, spew their venom against Americans, and then we say OHH IT IS OK BECAUSE THEY ARE USED TO DOING THAT IN THEIR COUNTRY Do we have to accept that here?? Sorry, we don't.. Heck, I don't accept it from people who are from the USA..

The CMs specify to move down to the end of the row.. If someone from a brazilian tour group plops themself in the middle of the row, causing others to have to climb over them, then should we look at them and say OHH IT IS OK, YOU ARE BRAZILIAN AND YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND? Now, in comparison, if a group of teenage cheerleaders sat in the middle of the row, AMERICAN CHEERLEADERS, and people had to climb over them, everyone would be annoyed and saying they should know better, and calling them rude teenagers..

And on another note: If someone from another culture is used to tossing garbage on the street, because it is a pratice that is accepted where they come from, should we be OK with them for throwing their trash on the ground when visiting here?

Ok, this has gotten way off topic...

To end this post: just because there is a cultural difference doesn't cut them slack.. Maybe you feel that way, but I sure as heck don't... So, I guess we will agree to disagree on this matter....

devilsfan525

Original Poster
Wow... this topic has gotten out of hand..... i just wanted to know if anyone had ever experienced something like this.... and i gave the details for the story to make sense.

I DID NOT post to start bashing on every group of people in the world

DLP Fan

askmike1 said:

That is why in Paris nearly all rides and shows are introduced and instructions are given in French, English and German. So people understand. Im sure Tokyo gives instructions etc in english also. Im sure out of an entire tour group many will speak english as a second language and be able to know what is being said, at least parts of it. It all comes down to manners.

Captain Chaos

devilsfan525 said:
Wow... this topic has gotten out of hand..... i just wanted to know if anyone had ever experienced something like this.... and i gave the details for the story to make sense.

I DID NOT post to start bashing on every group of people in the world

You are right.. it has gotten out of hand... We all have said our piece about our experiences and things got carried away... Let me be the first to apologize if anyone got offended by any of the posts on this thread...

Now, back to the topic... I have never experienced this attraction going down. I saw it twice on my last trip and both times everything seemed to be working properly...

Captain Chaos

DLP Fan said:
That is why in Paris nearly all rides and shows are introduced and instructions are given in French, English and German. So people understand. Im sure Tokyo gives instructions etc in english also. Im sure out of an entire tour group many will speak english as a second language and be able to know what is being said, at least parts of it. It all comes down to manners.

DLP Fan, very good point.. Now, if they were to do this in WDW, you know how many languages they would have to use? Giving the speil would be longer than the show...

bucklmd

If I ever heard a foreign tourist shouting that USA Sucks in Disney World, it would REALLY make me mad. That is one of the rudest things I've ever heard and I'm going to hope that just isn't true. When I first read that post, I didn't think much about it because I wasn't reallly surprised, but the more I think about it and think about how I would react in that situation, it would really bother me.

Oh well. Sorry to get off topic. Just had to throw that last bit in.

magda_96

brazilian tour gropus

I believe that they are also the rudest people that come to central florida. I was at animal knigdom the other day ad there was like a million of them there, i felt like i was in brazil. Annyway in the line for dinosaur half of them would sit down on the ground every 2 seconds and when the line ahead of them was moving they would not get up becasue they were talking. Finally I said something like move it already and they kinda lookedat me and laughed. Next I overheard them talking and I knew it was about us because I speak a bit of Portugese. They sad this look on their face like you would not believe. I said you can make fun of us in english now since you are in america not brazil. I tell you it was easy making fu of them in english since they could nto speak a word it seemed. These people that ome to our country need to learn to respect us and most of all not ruin other peoples vacations. Sorry to ramble but people make me mad, especially little girls and ignorant brazilians. :-(

askmike1

DLP Fan said:
In WDW, all the prerecorded spiels are in at least English & Spanish. Some attractions even say other languages (Fantasmic used to say it in French, but now I believe it is in Japanese). Every park has the ability to do this. But the CM spiels they cannot say in other languages. With Philharmagic, it is Goofy giving the instructions inside the theater and a CM giving the instructions inside the waiting area. With a tour group though, even if nobody speaks English, the tour guide should have repeated all the instructions in there native language.

-Michael

Captain Chaos

askmike1 said:
In WDW, all the prerecorded spiels are in at least English & Spanish. Some attractions even say other languages (Fantasmic used to say it in French, but now I believe it is in Japanese). Every park has the ability to do this. But the CM spiels they cannot say in other languages. With Philharmagic, it is Goofy giving the instructions inside the theater and a CM giving the instructions inside the waiting area. With a tour group though, even if nobody speaks English, the tour guide should have repeated all the instructions in there native language.

-Michael

Mike buddy, that is all I have been saying.... These tour group leaders should be able to speak and understand English... Since they more than likely do, them not repeating it to their group is being lazy... Then, they plop down in the middle of the row, making things harder for everyone else.. Now that is being rude and inconsiderate... Has nothing to do with their culture and what they are used to... They are being rude and lazy... Forget the language barrier and the culture clashes... And yes, this even goes for AMERICANS...

And one more thing, I never heard a pre-recorded speil in Spanish, French, Chinese or any other foreign language.. I do not doubt you that they have these pre-recorded speils in other languages since the monorail does have the one speil in Spanish... I just never heard it... And not for nothing, but, how could these Brazilian tour groups hear ANYTHING when they are being so dag loud and obnoxious?????

Also, doesn't Disney provide a headset for foreign speaking tourists so they can get the speils in their own langauge???

askmike1

dxer07002 said:
And one more thing, I never heard a pre-recorded speil in Spanish, French, Chinese or any other foreign language..
Most if not all the pre-recorded ones now have it. Universe of Energy has a new one (it used to be a CM talking) in English & Spanish. For Voyage of the Little Mermaid, the CM says it in English and then they have a recording in Spanish and some other language. For Magic Carpets, the Genie says the directions in Spanish. I know not all attractions have this, but Disney is adding it little by little. The only one I don't like is UoE because it is too corny and covers up the best part of the music.

dxer07002 said:
Also, doesn't Disney provide a headset for foreign speaking tourists so they can get the speils in their own langauge???
I have seen families wearing these big red headsets but not tourgroups. I think if Tour Groups continue to get a lot of complaints, Disney should run the groups themeselves.

-Michael

NadieMasK2

I was there last week, too. And as far as I'm concerned, it's not about where you are from or what language you speak. It's about respecting others. Period. And it was not only the teens causing the problems. When the tour guide calls out 50 people from the end of the line to pass everyone in front of them so they can all be together there is a problem! Yes I have seen many rude people in the parks in my life, but I tell you I will never go again in July if at all possible. It was a popular topic that many families were discussing while in the lines. I was dismayed that the CM's don't try to put a stop to some of this. Even my children whom we have raised to be very open-minded commented on these rude groups. And at the buffet restaurants, don't get me started! My family has just as much right to enjoy our trip as they do, we paid a lot of money to be there, and by the end of the week I was letting them know it!

This is not about being Brazilian. This is about being considerate and following normal rules of conduct and respect!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom