Princesses may not rule fantasy land after all! Frontierland expansion rumor reality?

I'd be very surprised if they disrupted the revenue stream that is CRT. My understanding is the BatB restaurant is supposed to allievate the demand for CRT, not replace it.

I'm wondering if there isn't an old ride who's days are numbered. (Snow White, I'm thinking of you.) That would be controversial. I just don't know how expensive it would be to gut the thing. But then again, if they are planning to turn it into something else but don't yet know what...

Basically, I have no idea. :shrug:

That would be horrible beyond belief if the Snow White ride was replaced by a meet and greet. For any ride to be replaced by a meet and greet is a fate worse than death.

njDizFan

Snow White would definately be controversial. Although this ride has been proven(to me at least) to be a little scary for younger kids and very tame for the rest of us. Even though SW is one of my favorites, I guess I could stand a year of so of M&Gs at this location if the promise of a mine coaster was coming.

lebeau

That would be horrible beyond belief if the Snow White ride was replaced by a meet and greet. For any ride to be replaced by a meet and greet is a fate worse than death.

Remember the original prophecy, I mean rumor:

The M&Gs would temporarily replace something that would be controversial. Whatever was replaced would be controversial enough to make waves beyond these forums. So, I think you have to think bigger than a run of the mill shop or a facility that sits mostly unused.

But, after the dark days of temporary M&Gs, this facility would be reborn as something else.

So I figure this has to be something with some history that is still in use (in order to be controversial) but that Disney was likely to shut down anyway (since it will be replaced by something else).

lebeau

Snow White would definately be controversial. Although this ride has been proven(to me at least) to be a little scary for younger kids and very tame for the rest of us. Even though SW is one of my favorites, I guess I could stand a year of so of M&Gs at this location if the promise of a mine coaster was coming.

That's why SW is my front runner.

WDWFigment

If it meant a new dark ride coming to take its place, the temporary M&G wouldn't offend me. That ride is pathetic. I really hope replacing that wouldn't raise a "Mr. Toad-esque" fuss on the internet. I'm sure it would; to me, though, if people get all worked up over replacing an attraction such as that that's really past it's prime (in my opinion it's in terrible condition, the quality of the attraction isn't that great, and there is much better use of the real estate), it sort of invalidates the opinions of the online community (in the "eyes" of Disney) as it makes it seem as if what "we" want is simply the parks to stay as museums for the sake of childhood nostalgia.

I dare someone to make a logical and compelling argument that the Snow White dark ride is high quality in its current state without using the words (or synonyms thereof) "classic", "Walt", or "nostalgia."

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
You want controversial? Try placing the M&Gs at the parking lot near IASW. TDO would have a revolt on their hands if people didn't have a place to berth their Nimitz-class strollers....:)

WDWFigment

For what it's worth, my money is on the old Skyway station. Don't know what they'd do there afterward that would be controversial (raze it? I guess that might upset people who think it's pretty), but I think raven might be playing a little fast and loose with the term controversial.

Lee

Adventurer
That's why SW is my front runner.

But that just can't be! Snow White is the very definition of quality dark ride!:fork:

Oh....wait...

Yeah...nevermind...

Attachments

• Snow_BehindTree.jpeg
    Snow_BehindTree.jpeg
    25 KB · Views: 80

lebeau

For what it's worth, my money is on the old Skyway station. Don't know what they'd do there afterward that would be controversial (raze it? I guess that might upset people who think it's pretty), but I think raven might be playing a little fast and loose with the term controversial.

I'm guessing you may be right. The odds are that whatever happens it won't be all that controversial except to those who are outraged by the very existence of M&Gs.

But if this is truly going to be a controversial move, I think it almost has to be a ride that gets the axe.

MiklCraw4d

I like where you are going with this. How about this (for pure wild speculation and unbridled optimism)

1) Remove Snow White and Put M&Gs there.

2) Build new mine coaster and Snow White cottage for new Snow White/Dwarf M&G. Mine Coaster and especially the dwarfs have universal appeal and probably sell lots of merchandise (Every father/grandfather has been provided a Grumpy article of clothing at some point in time.

3) With the now available space from Snow White, replace our Pooh ride with Pooh's Hunny Hunt from TDL. Too much? Well, I can dream can't I...

4) Just for fun, put in B&TB dark ride behind B&TB M&G/Restaurant

I was thinking Snow White, too. I guess that would be controversial - axing a ride for a M&G - but it isn't an especially beloved ride. Besides, one would hope that when the M&G leaves we'd get a better ride in its place. After all, the earliest FL facelift rumors had Snow getting replaced anyway.

I don't know where all the candy talk before fits in - they make tons of money on the Main St. candy store so I doubt they'd do it there, and it would be kind of goofy to cram the M&G into the Frontierland candy store.

Since I'm seeing conspiracy everywhere, I thought that the comment on Don Mattingly's mustache meant that they're replacing the barber shop.

Basically, who knows. I don't think Disney even knows anymore.

Sassagoula

I'll put it plainly: I hate meet-and-greets. Remember the days when you could just run into the characters without waiting for 45 minutes, and it wasn't the focus of your day? Seems so long ago! But it was less than 15 years ago that you could just bump into Tigger in the hub and have a quick photo and move on. Now M&Gs are so wildly popular that it's quickly becoming the sole focus of Disney's marketing. Is that really what people want -- to travel possibly hundreds of miles, spend thousands of dollars to see the legendary Disney World, and in the end just pal around with some adults in costume and go home? Sorry if this comes off as overly critical, if you like characters, that's fine, but there's a lot more to see and do at Disney World and I don't want WDI to neglect other types of attractions.

So, I'm happy at the idea of the current FLE plans getting tweaked a bit to be more ride-oriented. :lol: Hope it's true. Pixie Hollow always seemed pretty blue sky to me anyway, like some of those announced (and then promptly swept under the rug) WS pavilions.

I'm scared what "location" might go away for the sake of temporary M&Gs, though. Raven, can you confirm/deny that is going to be in Fantasyland?

As crazy as it initially sounds, CRT could be a possibility. It would make a lot of guests very angry (there's your controversy!), but the setting would be perfect. And if they wanted to, they could refurbish it afterward (they never get a chance to close during normal operations) and add more themeing, possibly even retool it for a more expensive, exclusive experience. Just a few seatings per day in one large group, maybe give each guest a present, have activities -- like that princess tea at the Grand Floridian. Hey, I didn't say it was an idea I particularly liked! :animwink:

Snow White would be a pretty gutsy choice. As long as it was replaced with a GOOD new Snow White after the M&Gs (or an equally classic Disney movie dark ride), it wouldn't be a bad option.

It would be terrible, but the Tiki Room makes a certain amount of sense with regards to space and pre-existing queue. Though Adventureland is so wrong thematically. Not going to take over the Adventureland Veranda, I assume? Nothing controversial there! Same goes for El Pirata y El Perico.

MiklCraw4d

If it meant a new dark ride coming to take its place, the temporary M&G wouldn't offend me. That ride is pathetic. I really hope replacing that wouldn't raise a "Mr. Toad-esque" fuss on the internet. I'm sure it would; to me, though, if people get all worked up over replacing an attraction such as that that's really past it's prime (in my opinion it's in terrible condition, the quality of the attraction isn't that great, and there is much better use of the real estate), it sort of invalidates the opinions of the online community (in the "eyes" of Disney) as it makes it seem as if what "we" want is simply the parks to stay as museums for the sake of childhood nostalgia.

I dare someone to make a logical and compelling argument that the Snow White dark ride is high quality in its current state without using the words (or synonyms thereof) "classic", "Walt", or "nostalgia."

I agree completely. As long as we know in advance that it's not a permanent thing, I can't imagine anyone getting too upset at the loss of that particular ride. It's simply not that good, and it's by far the worst of the FL dark rides. I was quite pleased in the original refurb plans that it was going to be replaced.

I think you're right - if people get militant about this, it really steals our thunder when something actually important is threatened.

Keeping in mind, of course, that even a crappy ride is better than a M&G, so this is all predicated on the change being temporary...

wizards8507

I'll put it plainly: I hate meet-and-greets. Remember the days when you could just run into the characters without waiting for 45 minutes, and it wasn't the focus of your day? Seems so long ago! But it was less than 15 years ago that you could just bump into Tigger in the hub and have a quick photo and move on. Now M&Gs are so wildly popular that it's quickly becoming the sole focus of Disney's marketing. Is that really what people want -- to travel possibly hundreds of miles, spend thousands of dollars to see the legendary Disney World, and in the end just pal around with some adults in costume and go home? Sorry if this comes off as overly critical, if you like characters, that's fine, but there's a lot more to see and do at Disney World and I don't want WDI to neglect other types of attractions.

It doesn't have to be the focus of YOUR day if you don't like them. I hate them too, but I love that they exist. Every single person who waits in line for a M&G is a person who is NOT in line for Space, Splash, or Big Thunder. The Meet and Greets may not be for you, but a lot of people love them and they actually enhance YOUR enjoyment of the park in a way that isn't immediately apparent.

NewfieFan

In the words of Phineas and Ferb... yes, yes it is! My children love the characters and their trip wouldn't be complete without multiple encounters with them!

And please don't compare it to days gone by... the characters are popular, they couldn't just have them out roaming around. This way is safer and allows everyone a minute to say hi and get their picture. I remember in the early 90s being knocked down by some mother who pushed her kids in next to Minnie to get a picture. I much prefer this set up... thank you very much!

lebeau

In the words of Phineas and Ferb... yes, yes it is! My children love the characters and their trip wouldn't be complete without multiple encounters with them!

And please don't compare it to days gone by... the characters are popular, they couldn't just have them out roaming around. This way is safer and allows everyone a minute to say hi and get their picture. I remember in the early 90s being knocked down by some mother who pushed her kids in next to Minnie to get a picture. I much prefer this set up... thank you very much!

Agree.

Nice P&F reference.

Aren't you a little young to be posting on these forums?

Evil Genius

^^Not to mention the fact these won't just be meet 'n greets! These are designed to be small show/experiences for children to more distinctly interact with the princesses in a slightly more intimate setting.

It's an immersive exerience. I know I can't speak of everyone's children, but I know when my young daughters heard the descriptions and saw the concept art of these princess meets their eyes lit up! This is the sort of magic that makes Disney distinct and not just a park full of rides.

wizards8507

^^Not to mention the fact these won't just be meet 'n greets! These are designed to be small show/experiences for children to more distinctly interact with the princesses in a slightly more intimate setting.

It's an immersive exerience. I know I can't speak of everyone's children, but I know when my young daughters heard the descriptions and saw the concept art of these princess meets their eyes lit up! This is the sort of magic that makes Disney distinct and not just a park full of rides.

Agreed. Many of the peole who slam the Meet and Greets are the same people who are praising Islands of Adventure for their glorified Harry Potter gift shops. Seriously?

UberPlannerMom

Remember the days when you could just run into the characters without waiting for 45 minutes, and it wasn't the focus of your day?

You know what else I remember about those days? A mob scene. A complete and total mob scene. Sure, it was great if you were the first to notice the character,but if not, well watch out! And they only had the one person there to help the character out... Thinking back on it, that had to be pretty scary for the people in the costumes!

As for Snow White.... what exactly does everyone have against it? I have seen all the reports of kids scared to death and have never understood them. My kids knew the story of Snow White going in to it so they never worried a second that the witch was going to "win". I think the art work is lovely. I have to admit that the whole reason I go on Snow White is to admire the beautiful bits, so maybe that is why I am missing what everyone thinks is so bad about it. Would I mind them updating some of the movng bits? No, absolutely not. Do I want them to get rid of a beautiful example of Disney art? No way!

Sassagoula

It doesn't have to be the focus of YOUR day if you don't like them. I hate them too, but I love that they exist. Every single person who waits in line for a M&G is a person who is NOT in line for Space, Splash, or Big Thunder. The Meet and Greets may not be for you, but a lot of people love them and they actually enhance YOUR enjoyment of the park in a way that isn't immediately apparent.

Yes, you have a good point. Those are the same things I tell myself.

I'm comparing because the popularity has skyrocketed, and I don't really understand why that changed so abruptly. I remember meeting plenty of characters in the park as a child (up to 1997 or so) and it wasn't such a big to-do. Clearly it would create a madhouse in the park nowadays. Sorry if that wasn't clear in my post, I had a lot of subjects on my mind.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom