Princess and the frog a failure?

CJR

So i guess people now in days only want to see CG

I wouldn't say that. There are tons of CG movies that do worse than this. It's just not a blockbuster animation film like most Pixar or Dreamworks films. It's not too far from being in the range of the higher costing Meet the Robinson's. Plus, the CG average is far lower than the PatF.

A more recent example of a CG movie that did worse is The Fantastic Mr. Fox.

ILLmaticS0ldier

Original Poster
I wouldn't say that. There are tons of CG movies that do worse than this. It's just not a blockbuster animation film like most Pixar or Dreamworks films. It's not too far from being in the range of the higher costing Meet the Robinson's. Plus, the CG average is far lower than the PatF.

Yea but this was suppose to be the movie that proved that its not about the the image but the story and it's doing bad!!!! It means that Disney might go back to their old ways of CG only!!!!

WDW Vacationer

I guess I'm on the wrong forums since everyone here is a Disney fan and isn't willing to admit that this movie is a failure!!
So,you do not like it. You do not think it was a success.

Everyone who thinks otherwise is biased?

I have not seen the film yet,and may not be able to until DVD,but from what I've seen it is a good film!

Tip Top Club

This movie is so far from being a failure! And let me tell you exactly why.

Everyone knows that we are in a strange transition time into new media, On Demand, Blue Ray, Streaming Netflix movies, and whatever else is out there. For the last year or so, more and more people are skipping the multiplex's all together.

EXCEPT- in the case of event films. And by event films I mean the Hollywood Collossi, such as Avatar, Transformers, Twilights, Harry Potter, to name a few. Now in the 1940s, and pretty much through to the early 90s, Disney Films were event films, and not just first runs, be re-releases as well, because VHS and DVDs weren't really available yet.

And then came direct-to-DVD sequals. DUN DUN DUN! (I think it may have just thundered outside when I said that aloud). The DVD sequals made Disney Films commonplace, coming out every few months. I wouldn't call myself a Disney Purist, but I don't really consider the DVD films to be REAL Disney, or part of Disney's Animated history. So between the fact that people are skipping the theatres all together, and waiting for the DVD, and the fact that for most people who haven't spent the last two years hearing about how it's "THE RETURN TO TRADITIONAL 2-D ANIMATION!" As we all have, may not consider this to be an event.

Don't get me wrong, "Princess" took it's first weekend at the Box Office! Even from that standpoint it's not a failure, yes it did worse then expected, but if you guys didn't notice, every Pixar Film since Finding Nemo has done "Worse then Expected" and that's hardly an exaggeration. They've made it up in DVD sales, which I guarentee you will be astounding, as well as Merchandise, PATF merchendise has generally outsold any other Disney Princess Merch this holiday season, even being a top selling toy at Toys R Us stores accross the country.

John Lassiter said that "Quality is a great business plan. Period." And He is right. So as word of mouth of how great this new Disney Classic is, combined with Great Merch sales, and Exceptional DVD sales next year, I don't think anyone will consider this film to be a "failure."

Thurp

The word of mouth is getting out too. I've had a few people tell me they've heard it's good and say they want to see it. In fact, not 5 minutes ago, I just got off the phone with a friend who called me to ask me if the movie was any good because she figured I had seen it. She was raving about what other people had told her.

I think the movie is doing well and it's just going to get better.

SoccerMickey

Disney's The Princess and the Frog is nowhere near being a perfect film but I wouldn't classify it as a failure. Box office in-take has been below company projections but there a lot of factors that attribute to that:
1. Families have changed the way they go to the movies. PG-13 films like Avatar have become the new family films where animated films have become more home entertainment fodder.
2. A princess movie is a hard sell for families with boys. Just like Cars was a hard sell for girls.
3. December is a hard time to take a family to the movies. This is more of a holiday movie than it is a summer movie but if they released it a few weeks earlier, like Thanksgiving weekend, it probably would have done better than the second weekend in December.
I was really hoping to see a perfect movie with PATF but it has a lot of things that hurts it, in my opinion. I think the musical numbers aren't paced well and I think the main character was a frog for too long but this is a princess I'm sure many girls would like to emulate and that alone makes it anything but a failure because Tiana will have a life as part of the Disney Princess franchise and all that it entails longer than the film will as an important part in the canon of Disney animated features.

jt04

Remember the movie only cost a little over 100 million. There is no way it can fail. It's already made over 50 million at the box office domestically. It's only been in theaters a little over a week. Not sure what the OP is thinking.:shrug:

imagineer boy

Fantastic Mr. Fox was stop-motion. But a few good examples of CG movies that have failed would be Planet 51, Astro Boy, and Delgo which was a CG film that has the worst box office run of all time.

If people just want to see CG movies, then why do they keep watching the old classic traditionally animated films? The medium doesn't matter, what people want is a good story and likeable characters . The medium only enhances that.

BrerFrog

I am not sure if it is a failure because I don't follow the movie industry's numbers, but I hope not because I want to see more traditionally animated features in the future.

Hrudey3032

I guess I'm on the wrong forums since everyone here is a Disney fan and isn't willing to admit that this movie is a failure!!

From Box Office Mojo TPaTF will have made $63,357,000 in 5 weeks and still in top10.Its budget was $105 million so even if it were to average 5 million for 10 more weeks it would surpass its budget without even adding in dvd and overseas sales.Failure? :rolleyes: Really? Those numbers are a success and it doesn't take being a Disney fan to see it was a success.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom