Princess and the frog a failure?

dxwwf3

Watching it again, and it gets better on each viewing. Not an instant classic, like say, Up was for me, but it's a grower.

I'd say that's about right to me too. When I was watching it, it felt very, very average, but while watching the special features it felt better to me. Not a great, classic Disney movie, but is in the Hercules, Mulan, and The Emperor's New Groove class.

I'd say that's about right to me too. When I was watching it, it felt very, very average, but while watching the special features it felt better to me. Not a great, classic Disney movie, but is in the Hercules, Mulan, and The Emperor's New Groove class.

See I think I'm one of the few people that's always loved Hercules since right before it came out in theatres. I'd NEVER seen Emperor's New Groove until a few months back and now I love it.

dxwwf3

I like Hercules and those other films mentioned, but don't love them (Although I think TENG is extremely underrated).

stlbobby

Or the New Math that gets displayed on the forum often!

But ya $104 (domestic) - $5 = $99...I think, less they've changed what 5 is.

And here's a fun song to pass the time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ukpbi2Qxoag&feature=related

So the the money the movie made overseas doesn't count? I believe Disney can use those dollars to pay expenses and fund new projects.

I don't want to get into parsing numbers and making comparisons, especially adjusted for inflation, as has been done all over this thread.

Simply the movie more than doubled its production costs in a shortened theatrical run. It has already done well on DVD and shows good legs. It made dozens of critics' top ten lists, garnered 3 Oscar nominations, sold a ton of merchandise, and definitely made inroads into the African-American market--something Disney has wanted for a long time.

But if someone has decided the film failed they can cite and twist all kinds of numbers, and no amount of reality will dissuade them.

I have admitted the film wasn't the massive block-buster Disney hoped, but to call it a failure is ludicrous. It's not an either/or proposition.

Animaniac93-98

But if someone has decided the film failed they can cite and twist all kinds of numbers, and no amount of reality will dissuade them.

Since when are numbers not reality? If we ignore them then there is no way to judge individual markets and positioning strategies. That is exactly what Disney is doing and to ignore the alterations made to Rapunzel in relation to PatF is truing a serious blind eye to North American audiences and they're opinion of Disney films. The difference in merch and ticket sales related to the film in it's home country is outright staggering and should not be ignored just because elsewhere it's done better at the Box Office.

We live in a global economy where products are adjusted and positioned to fit the needs of individual regions to maximize revenue. It's been an obvious trend that WDFA has done terribly over the last few years in comparison to the animated competition regardless of what the film was in terms of style and content, cost (production and marketing) or critical opinion (which is meaningless in relation to Box office performance along with Oscar noms). Disney knows this and they keep trying to fix it, they wouldn't if there wasn't a legitimate problem.

And isn't it all to convenient that a film like Brother Bear which made $250 million worldwide (unadjusted) has been swepped under the rug by Disney and it's fans? Or that the record setting totals of Oliver and Company, The Rescuers or Robin Hood in the domestic market are too? Or what of Fantasia 2000's dismal $90 million worldwide total (worse than the "dreaded" Home on the Range or Treasure Planet)?

Disney and it's fans have been spinning and ignoring totals for awhile now, this films is no exception. I'm at least trying to point out alternate perspective to logically explain Disney's current thinking, based on *gasp* numbers! Those dreaded figures which businesses are run on. I'd really like to know why they are not part of "reality" when claiming the film is a failure but they are when it's considered a success? Both are legit view points because the numbers mean far more than the basic digits. It's what they are in relation to cost, what they are in terms of time, how much of said numbers go to Disney itself etc. A smart person will take both into account when making future decisions.

I have admitted the film wasn't the massive block-buster Disney hoped, but to call it a failure is ludicrous. It's not an either/or proposition.

So is claiming a film has "legs" without it begin in release for even a year yet.

I'd also like to see statistical evidence (with numbers) proving the African American market has been "significantly" expanded. What if girls of other races have been buying Tiana merch? What share of a market such as "African American girls ages 3-10" did Disney have previously with their various product lines/divisions.

ABigBrassBand

If it didn't do so bad in the box offices, so be it, but I can ask so many people that I know if they liked that movie and get all positive results. Personally, I love the setting of the movie, and how it affects the dialogue and the songs. Its an amazing movie, and thats an understatement.

ILLmaticS0ldier

Original Poster
I LOVED THIS MOVIE!!! I saw it the weekend it came out to show support but to get beatend by alvin and the chimpmunks that bad is horrible!!!! It just shows that audiences don't care for the traditional animated movie.

PG 13 being the family film?????? Ok so why is iit that almost every pixar film makes more than 200 million at the box office domestically???? face it guys its doing worse than expected we thought it was going t be the next little mermaid but I feel that audiences don't reallly care for movies like this anymore!!!!!

ALL THEY WANT IS CG!!!!!!!!!!TRADITIONAL ANIMATION IS BEING SEEN AS SOMETHING OF THE PAST

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

AND I HATE IT!!!!!!!

stitch2008

I LOVED THIS MOVIE!!! I saw it the weekend it came out to show support but to get beatend by alvin and the chimpmunks that bad is horrible!!!! It just shows that audiences don't care for the traditional animated movie.

PG 13 being the family film?????? Ok so why is iit that almost every pixar film makes more than 200 million at the box office domestically???? face it guys its doing worse than expected we thought it was going t be the next little mermaid but I feel that audiences don't reallly care for movies like this anymore!!!!!

ALL THEY WANT IS CG!!!!!!!!!!TRADITIONAL ANIMATION IS BEING SEEN AS SOMETHING OF THE PAST

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

AND I HATE IT!!!!!!!

Hey dont get all upset. CG has its advantages. Traditional has its advantages as well. I don't care what it is. Just tell a good story. Every Pixar movie makes more then $200 million as you say because people have come to expect new, creative, fun stories. That reputation has been built over the course of many years. In my mind, Disney is just retreading in the past sucess and not really doing anything new or creative; as good as Bolt and PatF are, and they are very good. Walt Disney Animation Studios is going to have to build a reputation in light of failures of recent past. Bolt and PatF are good starts. I mean for whats its worth, the Disney store in my town sells a lot of Bolt stuffed animals and PatF merchandise. Tanged, Pooh, and future projects will tell the future. Joe Jump is the project waiting in the wings I believe.

So in the end, Disney must rebuild a reputation, in a world where animated films are a dime a dozen. Then, and only then, will they make $200 million

jt04

Hey dont get all upset. CG has its advantages. Traditional has its advantages as well. I don't care what it is. Just tell a good story. Every Pixar movie makes more then $200 million as you say because people have come to expect new, creative, fun stories. That reputation has been built over the course of many years. In my mind, Disney is just retreading in the past sucess and not really doing anything new or creative; as good as Bolt and PatF are, and they are very good. Walt Disney Animation Studios is going to have to build a reputation in light of failures of recent past. Bolt and PatF are good starts. I mean for whats its worth, the Disney store in my town sells a lot of Bolt stuffed animals and PatF merchandise. Tanged, Pooh, and future projects will tell the future. Joe Jump is the project waiting in the wings I believe.

So in the end, Disney must rebuild a reputation, in a world where animated films are a dime a dozen. Then, and only then, will they make $200 million

Just to add, Alice passed UP in worldwide box office over the weekend. Now I know Alice is not animated, but it does prove the traditional studios can at least do as well as the new guys. And I expect Lasseter will bring WDAS up to that level sooner rather than later. The only thing I disagree with him is that the medium is more important then he does. Traditional animation is just not viewed the same by kids raised on CGI. Hopefully Tangled will bring the best of both worlds. The richness of hand drawn combined with the immersive 3d quality of CGI.

ABigBrassBand

What is so wrong with this movie? I really find it close to TLM IMO in terms of quality and music, same with BaTB. This is actually in my top 3 princess movies, because the music is amazing, the setting is something I've wanted in a Disney film for a while (dialogue reminds me of SoTS for some reason), and the characters are awesome. Prince Naveen is probably the most loveable prince IMO (or really the only one I've fallen in love with by the end of the movie, besides Beast), and I like to see that in a movie.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Finally rented this film. I am pleased to say I really enjoyed it. Tiana was a great character, smart, driven and beautiful. It was wonderfully drawn, told a nice story, and the music was also good. I will be purchasing a copy of the Blu-ray for my collection.

Now since I have seen it, I can say with some certainty why it was not a major smash, and it has nothing to do with hand drawn versus CGI. It was not a roaring success because it is a black movie. There is just no way around it. I searched and searched for another reason and came up blank. I suppose the jazz music may not be to everyones liking, but that ties into the idea of having a black movie. There was no huge desire for a white suburban family to rush to the theatre to see what in their minds is just an animated Tyler Perry film. It is a shame.

Erika

Finally rented this film. I am pleased to say I really enjoyed it. Tiana was a great character, smart, driven and beautiful. It was wonderfully drawn, told a nice story, and the music was also good. I will be purchasing a copy of the Blu-ray for my collection.

Now since I have seen it, I can say with some certainty why it was not a major smash, and it has nothing to do with hand drawn versus CGI. It was not a roaring success because it is a black movie. There is just no way around it. I searched and searched for another reason and came up blank. I suppose the jazz music may not be to everyones liking, but that ties into the idea of having a black movie. There was no huge desire for a white suburban family to rush to the theatre to see what in their minds is just an animated Tyler Perry film. It is a shame.

My family and my dozens of white suburban friends would disagree.

Plenty of well-done, excellent "white" movies have bombed at the box office. Let's not go in this direction, please.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
My family and my dozens of white suburban friends would disagree.

Plenty of well-done, excellent "white" movies have bombed at the box office. Let's not go in this direction, please.

Ok, I was not planning on pressing the issue anyway. Just what I thought was a valid argument based on my own experiences. however, I will lay off, lest anyone misconstrue this as my being a racist.

Erika

Ok, I was not planning on pressing the issue anyway. Just what I thought was a valid argument based on my own experiences. however, I will lay off, lest anyone misconstrue this as my being a racist.

Thank you. It's not so much your opinion that bothers me, as the barrage of subsequent posts I will end up having to moderate :ROFLOL:

glee

I personally think it didnt get enough advertising.(Here in uk anyway)
:rolleyes: I didnt go see it. Not well advertised at all.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom