Prices for the Polynesian DVC Bungalows

dreamfinder

Some actual thoughts....

1. Is the cash price really relevant? There are only 20 of these, I'm sure they will be booked through DVC all the time.

2. If it is relevant. what does everyone think a more reasonable price point is?

Cash price is relevant so that DVC can make it seem like a better deal. I think that the DVC cash prices are about 30-40% over what a similar non DVC room would cost. (This is comparing a standard room at say AKL to a AKL villa) Especially when you add in the ability to pay a premium to reserve a guaranteed week in the bungalow instead of just buying points and hoping to get in. And it is also relevant because they are eating the cost of the non sold points. They are paying for the maintenance, and taking the risk (albeit a slight one) that the unit doesn't rent, and then DVD is out the costs of operating that unit for the week, as well as any lost revenue from still having it on their books.

raven

I'm not sure how you can apply morals to a company. It is not a person. It is a business that only exists to make as much money as it possibly can. It doesn't exist to be nice or fair or charitable. I never understand why people are bothered by this fact.

Walt said he wanted to build a place for EVERYONE to enjoy. Current pricing has cut some families off who could afford it only a few years ago.

It will keep charging more until the point when people come less. And then it will charge less. That's economics.

That happened to Cedar Point a few years back. They finally lowered their prices. Disney? I don't see that happening, sadly.

mikenatcity1

Does anyone know the estimate yearly dues $/point the Poly could be? With the bungalows and pool, it makes me worried that they will be high.

GrumpyFan

If this is really the price range, then I don't have an issue really. I'll probably never stay there because it is so high, but good for them in building something that can demand this kind of price. However, considering this is a Disney resort, and the level of service that they provide is usually considered sub-par when compared to someone like Ritz Carlton or Waldorf or Four Seasons, this price range might not stay that high if people staying there don't get a comparable (expected) level of service.

bhg469

$2100 a night? Is that in American Dollars? Because I can fly to Hawaii and back first class for that kind of money.

For that kind of money you would expect… Well the kind of private concierge that I demand in my private bungalow stays along a beach.
For that kind of money I would expect to be able to swim in the water!

I cannot fathom anyone that would pay this kind of money to be in a room that is a copy of something that costs half as much... Not to mention that the ones in Bora Bora are on a crystal clear ocean and lack those fancy brain eating Amoebas !

I don't know why this is making me as crazy as it is but I am smashing my keyboard right now and my pulse is up.... What the heck is wrong with these people?!?1

PhilharMagician

All I can say is CASH COW.

I did some random numbers and for a one week stay per year over 50 years:

1000 points per week would initially cost $160,000 to purchase

1000 points per year would cost about $5000.00 per year in maintenance (estimated , but not far off)

Maintenance for 50 year would cost $250,000 not factoring in the rising cost of the fees each year.

Total cash investment $410,000 / 50 years is $8200 per year to stay on week.

Not added would be interest if initial points are purchased using a loan. If so you would add another $121,000 in the total cost with a mortgage payment around $2300.00 using Disney to finance for 10 years which I still think is the longest term Disney will finance. This would make the cost per week jump to $10,620 for a one week stay amortized over 50 years.

No mater what, this cost will increase over time because of maintenance fees.

It wasn't all that long ago when DVC points were under the $70.00 mark.:confused:

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
A lot is being made about the price of these vs. Bora Bora. While I admit it seems funny on the surface that the replicas seem to be priced far above the real deal, I think that it's a comparison between apples and oranges. Of course, taking just the room prices into account doesn't tell the whole story, as I'd bet the travel to Bora Bora is a heck of a lot more than it is to WDW (of course, unless you live on Bora Bora, or farther from WDW than you are Bora Bora).

While I would likely value a week on Bora Bora somewhere equivalent to a week at WDW, there are those that would not. There are those that would likely think a week of doing pretty much nothing but relax on a beach drinking mai tais would be nearly the most boring thing in the world. The value of having the Disney parks at their fingertips might just trump the island local, and if so, maybe they would like to have a little island escapism while they ride Big Thunder. For some the thought of travel out of the country is not appealing.

This is once again a decision that matters only to the people who are in the position to purchase one of these, and it is up to them to make the calculations if this is a value to them or not.

I will never and would never spend the amount of money required to stay in one of these suckers. I also likely will never and would never spend the money to travel to Bora Bora and stay at one of those rooms either. I am not their target demographic in any respects.

Also, it's really fun to type Bora Bora a lot.

EdC

I see these as Disney's 'Halo' rooms. Similar in concept to Automotive companies having a halo car. Yeah, not many people can afford them, but they sure did a good job of making you look at those Value suites in AoA and see what a great relative bargain they are; or the other DVC properties for that matter.

These will do nicely to get people to stop at the DVC centers in the parks.

NicTom1211

I will back you up. Someone accidentally posted ALL of the Poly literature, point charts, point buy-in costs, and rack room rates on there. It existed at one point, but has been taken down, and I have the original PDF files to prove it.

Everything being said here is correct.

Might be a silly q, but why are they only showing the studio rates? The phase 1 and phase 2 is only showing studios and the bungalows. They will have all the other accommodations right?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Could someone explain, are these DVC only or what? Will "normal" resort guests be able to book these like with other rooms? If so are these prices for DVC people or regular resort guests?
All DVC room types can be rented using cash, but the rates are far higher that what it would cost you for the same room if you rented the points from a DVC owner.

LeRaposa

All DVC room types can be rented using cash, but the rates are far higher that what it would cost you for the same room if you rented the points from a DVC owner.

So they jack up the prices to sell DVC memberships then? Makes sense. I don't like the idea and it certainly would never convince me to buy into the DVC but I can see why they'd try it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom