Prices for the Polynesian DVC Bungalows

bhg469

I'll say it again, people who can afford these rooms do not give a flying bleep about the $2100. It's not the best use of their money, of course not, vacation isn't the best use of anyone's money, far better to invest it, or simply save it. These people are not ignorant of Bora Bora, or of the 4 seasons, or of whatever, they are simply spending a fraction of a fraction of their wealth on a WDW vacation.

If you poories want to be upset about the bungalows, get upset over the location, or the fact that they are superfluous and cut down on the general aesthetic of the Poly and the lagoon. Not the price. Because lets be honest, the price is meaningless to you(and me) you(and me) couldn't afford it even if they cut the price in half.
Does it not set a precedence?

NelsonRD

GTR is not a 1% product, maybe they would buy one for their kid, but no one in that crowd drives a GTR. Don't get me wrong, I would but if I had hundreds of millions that isn't even on my radar. They may buy something slower and less well built but with a high end brand.... Almost like staying in a villa on a man made lake!

The 1% is 266K a year. Not millions. Besides, there are only 20 of these bungalows, so even if they are targeting the even richer .1%, they are going to sell them off.

flynnibus

Premium Member
There hasn't been a solid argument that didn't boil down to a personal opinion of some sort presented against the cost of these rooms.

Take your pick of vacation destinations with entertainment near by...

Of course you can't get 1 to 1 because there isn't another WDW... but location with proximity to entertainment/activities? Plenty... Take your pick? cabins at ski lodges? cabins near national parks? beachfront homes in hawaii? cali? penthouses in NYC?

Justifications have been
- relative to other absurd disney prices
- exclusive product (yet ignores it lacks exclusive service)
- the audience doesn't care about the price

Being DVC... I assume it doesn't even come with housekeeping right? Compared to the freaking butler service one should expect with these types of 'money is no object' accommodations.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member

Of course you can't get 1 to 1 because there isn't another WDW... but location with proximity to entertainment/activities? Plenty... Take your pick? cabins at ski lodges? cabins near national parks? beachfront homes in hawaii? cali? penthouses in NYC?

Justifications have been

Being DVC... I assume it doesn't even come with housekeeping right? Compared to the freaking butler service one should expect with these types of 'money is no object' accommodations.

But with price no object they just pay the extra and get the mousekeepers to do all the work.

disneydudette

I am probably more angry at while this, an obvious attempt at cloning a very beautiful place on earth in a very dirty lake and charging more to stay there than the actual place its emulating.... It makes my brain hurt...

They are not the same no - but anyone who thinks WDW for a week is worth 5-10k more than actually visiting a REAL tropical paradise needs to get out more. Certainly there is the audience that just has money to burn... but they aren't rationalizing anything to start with.

Can you shed some insight on where these 'cheaper' bungalows are?

I've been looking around for 2-bedroom, over-the-water bungalow, with plunge pool... a week in Sept... and can't come close to Disney's rate?

The Bora Bora FS wants TWICE as much as Disney... no kitchen or washer and dryer either.

Flights from Raleigh are going for $2700pp for our dates... 45hrs travel time... requiring us to book an additional 4 nights in travel hotel rooms or shorten our stay in the bungalow.

At this point... Disney feels like a bargain!

flynnibus

Premium Member
I was just at the Hard Rock, and paid almost $40 for the same items. Disney is really not out of line when you look around. Have you bought a burger at an airport lately? I travel a lot, and $12 - $18 for a burger is normal, and sometimes they don't even include fries for that price!. Yes, it is expensive compared to McDonalds (which I wouldn't eat at in a million years), but so are a lot of places.

And that is the exact line of thinking people have when they SET their prices.... 'that guy gets away with it, why shouldn't we' and the ladder keeps climbing up and up and up. Justifying greed by comparing to greed isn't sanity.. it's just 'me too'

bhg469

Justifications have been

just throw your old towels right in the lake!

flynnibus

Premium Member
Flights from Raleigh are going for $2700pp for our dates... 45hrs travel time... requiring us to book an additional 4 nights in travel hotel rooms or shorten our stay in the bungalow.

and yet at the end of the day.. you are still in central FL over a green lake.

Have you ever traveled outside north america?

bhg469

Can you shed some insight on where these 'cheaper' bungalows are?

I've been looking around for 2-bedroom, over-the-water bungalow, with plunge pool... a week in Sept... and can't come close to Disney's rate?

The Bora Bora FS wants TWICE as much as Disney... no kitchen or washer and dryer either.

Because Bora Bora >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Central Florida.. In fact a over the water bungalow over any just about any tropical island is infinitely better than this...

flynnibus

Premium Member
I just don't understand why Disney keeps catering to the extremely wealthy. I mean I KNOW why they are ($$$) but they have to expect a lot of negative feedback from this. It just looks greedy.

That was kind of my point with the 1%'er product. Normally your 'exclusive, money is no object' product is not sitting right there in everyone's faces. It's made to blend away to NOT be seen, so it IS exclusive, or be set away from the 'riff raff'.

Yet here people think its worth justifying thousands in markup because you are at WDW... where you can mix and sweat with tens of thousands of hot sweaty peons?

I think the demographic is exactly what Disney has been preaching... the toddler audience who wants to goto WDW and pulling their parents along to pay the bills. And here, if you are so filthy rich you don't care, here are the 'best accomodations we have for you sir...'.

A filthy rich couple who don't care about money don't aspire to stay at Disney's Holiday Inn on the swamp and rub elbows with honey boo boo. They go because they take their kids... who Disney has been brain washing.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Because Bora Bora >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Central Florida.. In fact a over the water bungalow over any just about any tropical island is infinitely better than this...

Might as well tear them down.

I guess all the people with the money to spend on these bungalows are too stupid to realize what a sham they are?

disneyflush

Once a room price goes over a certain number, say $800/night for example, does it actually matter how high Disney decides to price them? Who here is really going to be on the fence about staying for a few days if the room costs a SOMEWHAT RATIONAL $1,200/night instead of THE INSANITY OF $2,100/night. They could have announced the cost at $10,000/night and it really doesn't matter to us does it? (Respond with arguments about the merits of higher educational degrees and how your rich friends probably won't even look at the price before booking, yada yada yada.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom