Price Hikes Galore! (Genie+ variable pricing, ILL, refillable mugs, SWGE lightsaber and droids)

Tony the Tigger

Oh…you are very wrong there.

Nothing going on In this country with prices is “sustainable” longterm. It’s getting close to redline unless banks start giving out more credit with little hope for payment on it.

And wdw absolutely will suffer and likely much more than before because of what the Bobs have rigged.

The myth of wdw customer wealth is largely just that.
The myth of Disney suffering from lack of park attendance…

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Anyone think the post-Covid Disney travel bubble is going to pop sooner rather than later the more and more price increase news happens or do you think demand will continue as is and not fall off for either?
Define “pop”??

There is always a travel drawback…across the board…when any disruption hits for real .
Disney will feel it because travel goes first and quickly.

But they are insulated a bit by the glut of dvc and the biggest point backlog ever…so there’s that.

My theory on the next recession - 10 years old and counting - would be put to the test. I “think” I’m right…my hunches usually are…but I’m fascinated to see if I missed on my theory?

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
And that's the thing, for a visitor from the northeast Disney food prices are high but not unreasonable.
I just brought this coke in Philly View attachment 672240

Five bucks and not at the stadium, this was in front of city hall.
Is that a 20oz bottle? I live in NYC and I wouldn't pay $5 for that. TBH, I don't know what soda costs, because I don't drink it. Prices are what they are, and we decide to pay them or not. I don't drink soda, but I don't judge anyone who does.

I'm a DVC member, and I've been renting out my points for three years now, because I don't see the value in the parks. But I don't judge anyone who buys a parkhopper.

Live and let live.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
Well do tell…where are you going?

You have to prove that one. Disney is rarely the “cheapest” when comparing US domestic type travel?

Dish, big boy?
I have multiple times in various threads to places ive been to & what they cost me per day basically to the penny for me & my daughter….

Places ive been too include
Hershey park multiple times
Wildwood
Ocean city, Md
GWL & Kalahari
Rocking horse ranch

All these cost me the same or more… some significantly more

Again i dont need to lie but when it comes to numbers & what i spend on my trips again its simple math kind of like the dining plan is ;)

The myth of Disney suffering from lack of park attendance…
I thought that the last quarterly report from Disney did say that their attendance was down but the revenue was up due to more spending per guest? Did I read that wrong? If that is the case that could be why they need to raise rates on Genie to a fluctuating price scale because they have tapped the number forcing those who do go to spend more.

Honestly though I keep seeing reports about crowds but I thought it was established long ago the reason for the crowds was due to the rides not being maintained and not running them at capacity. Restaurants being closed and lack of entertainment to disperse the crowds. I have always been of the impression that was the problem and not that there were actually more people going than ever before. Along the same lines as charging more for the resorts but having less people in them. I know we went this time last year to Coronado Springs and it was very quiet. You could obviously see the rooms were not filled.

Last edited:

solidyne

going early when park opens has always been the "answer" buy using people's complaints about having to wake early to book a genie its the same logic getting to parks at rope drop is truly not an option id say for a good portion of people that visit just like when parks were open late staying there wasnt an option for all either...
Some inspiring enjambment here. You're developing a distinctly poetic voice!

A-

Raidermatt

It's a new fiscal year as of 10/1. This is not out of the ordinary.
The amount of some of the increases and them coming so soon after fairly recent increases had already been enacted (and not at the start of a fiscal year), is most certainly out of the ordinary. Unless we are defining ordinary as only the last few years.

Tony the Tigger

Oh that’s for fools…

Who says that? That’s not a math based opinion.

Have you read this thread? The predictions/threats are all over the place.

To clarify: I've been "liking" most of the posts that simply state matter-of-factly that folks have decided with a clear head to cut costs - whether by substituting groceries for some sit-down dinners on property, taking less frequent trips, or not going at all. That all makes perfect sense to me. I've done Disney many different ways at different times of my life when I could afford less or more. I appreciate it when I can go at all, and I appreciate it all the more when I can go "first class." I don't typically care if any particular trip is the "be all, end all" because I know there will be more. I'm fortunate to, for now, live only a few hours away and to get FL resident discounts.

Where some folks lose me is when they seem to be acting out of spite, anger, class envy, entitlement (including entitlement to tell Disney what to do with their company just because they are or were a fan.)

I understand a little disappointment here and there. I understand nostalgia. I understand being priced out. I understand individual perception of less value than is worth going. On the whole for me, the good new things tend to balance out the good discontinued things. Not everyone will agree with that. Some will prefer the old Snow White attraction to the new one. Most will not. And then there's the waiting game whereby eventually most of those going will have known no other way - and the things they did know will change. That's not sad, it's just the way it is.

I still miss the Great Movie ride. I also genuinely like Runaway Railway in a different way. I still resent paying to park at a WDW resort. Others may not care.

They are packed, from what I read here, and they still have things to add back in from pre-COVID. And they seem to be adding those things back in fairly steadily. That may give one more family one more reason to go. It may not.

But they don't *owe* us anything but what is promised with admission. If current admission isn't worth it to some who have gone for a long time, they should feel fortunate for having gone regularly up to now, while so many never have and never will. There are other places to go, and I would argue it's healthy to go other places and not vacation in one spot your whole life. Just try not to sound so petty about it in the meantime, as if Disney raised prices "to get you." Go somewhere else. Come back or don't.

Raidermatt

I have multiple times in various threads to places ive been to & what they cost me per day basically to the penny for me & my daughter….

Places ive been too include
Hershey park multiple times
Wildwood
Ocean city, Md
GWL & Kalahari
Rocking horse ranch

All these cost me the same or more… some significantly more

Again i dont need to lie but when it comes to numbers & what i spend on my trips again its simple math kind of like the dining plan is ;)
I would question whether you are truly doing an apples to apples comparison. For example, are you comparing a 1 day trip to Hershey park to 1 day at a Disney park, purchasing single day tickets to each, eating comparable meals, etc? Or perhaps you are comparing a season pass at each? If so, there is no way you come up with the cost being the same. The tickets alone would put you $70 over for Disney for two people, and that's based on Disney's lowest single day single park ticket price of $109 which is only good for 19 days over the course of the next year. Visit any other day and you are anywhere from $100 to $175 in the hole.

I can tell you for sure that we can go to Maui, at the same time of year, staying in accommodations superior to Disney's deluxes, eating at higher quality restaurants, for much less than that same length of stay at Disney. And certainly this is a much better comparison as they are both multi-day vacation destinations as opposed to the largely single day or even day trip destination comparison you are trying to make.

I know most will not agree with me here, but most food prices are on with what I would pay local. Thinks like snacks trend a little higher. And believe it or not Disney prices are not a bad as they could be go any baseball game and football game and order a coke and I bet you it's double what Disney charges

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I know most will not agree with me here, but most food prices are on with what I would pay local. Thinks like snacks trend a little higher. And believe it or not Disney prices are not a bad as they could be go any baseball game and football game and order a coke and I bet you it's double what Disney charges
But Disney world isn't a sports stadium.
The real world comparison would be what other theme parks are charging.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
I would question whether you are truly doing an apples to apples comparison. For example, are you comparing a 1 day trip to Hershey park to 1 day at a Disney park, purchasing single day tickets to each, eating comparable meals, etc? Or perhaps you are comparing a season pass at each? If so, there is no way you come up with the cost being the same. The tickets alone would put you $70 over for Disney for two people, and that's based on Disney's lowest single day single park ticket price of $109 which is only good for 19 days over the course of the next year. Visit any other day and you are anywhere from $100 to $175 in the hole.

I can tell you for sure that we can go to Maui, at the same time of year, staying in accommodations superior to Disney's deluxes, eating at higher quality restaurants, for much less than that same length of stay at Disney. And certainly this is a much better comparison as they are both multi-day vacation destinations as opposed to the largely single day or even day trip destination comparison you are trying to make.
Im making my comparisons based on 2 separate (i can go back even further) 10 day park hopper trips staying at value both times for me my daughter.
Poconos were 4 & 5 night trips
Wildwood were 4 & 5 night trips
Hershey park were 3 & 4 night trips with a Christmas Season trip of 2 nights
OC were 4 & 5 night trips.
RH ranch 3 nights cost me small fortune but we had ablast lol

Hershey Park i had 2 season passes which saved me money

My 10 day park hoppers cost me
715 and 650 for my 2 trips.
Stayedvalue and rooms cost me 140 & 190 per night
I eat at all character & sitdown meals and usually overtip especially the last 2 years and my comments include souvenirs etc…

Disney runs me around 650 for the 2 of us actually a lil less per day and if you want to add in rental car daily cost is around 45 and flights were points but they would gave cost me around 250 pp so say another 50 per day. So all in my cost is around 730-750 per day. Again all basically. In line or cheaper thanthe other places & as i said if you only include the Disney part even cheaper.

dreday3

Well here it is for today
Genie+ $20
RotR $20
GotG $15
7DMT $11

for those prices:

I would pay for Genie + at MK, but that's it.
RoTR - I don't think this ride is that fantastic, but my husband does. So IF this was the only day we could ride, I guess we'd pay
GoTG - yes, never been on it
Avatar - nope, can wait for it in line if we want
7DMT - probably, but I happen to love that ride

Livelovedisney

For every family that says enough us enough, there is 10 families who just up their credit limit and keep swiping....until that changes this greed and "pay more get less" Moto of the current short sited, one dimensional and talentless exec board won't stop this current path.

It's the sad heartbreaking reality of the company that shaped the best memories of my life growing up 💔
Disney has such a big impact on people. My two older kiddos love Disney because they grew up on it. They were able to experience the magic everytime we would go. Now that we have baby number 3 we would also like for him to have those special moments too. So families like mine will keep paying for it. We might decrease the frequency at which we visit or cut our stay short, but we will still visit.

TheMaxRebo

for those prices:

I would pay for Genie + at MK, but that's it.
RoTR - I don't think this ride is that fantastic, but my husband does. So IF this was the only day we could ride, I guess we'd pay
GoTG - yes, never been on it
Avatar - nope, can wait for it in line if we want
7DMT - probably, but I happen to love that ride

one thing the increase to the ILLs is doing to me is reducing chance I would pay for an attraction more than once in a trip. We haven't done GotG yet and our upcoming trip is short but have hoppers so was thinking of getting the ILL more than once - if it goes higher than $15 when we are there, likely won't. Same with for Rise - love the ride, will pay once to avoid a 2+ hour line, but at $20/person, hard to pay more than once

so, in some ways, this is having the effect they probably want

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom