Price Hikes Galore! (Genie+ variable pricing, ILL, refillable mugs, SWGE lightsaber and droids)

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Agree with the past year or two but.. this has been taking place slowly over 15 years. It’s just sped up at GotG speed the last few.

When you look back, this started when Bob 1.0 took over as CEO. When Bob 2.0 was installed as the head of P&R, he hammered the gas pedal. I'm pretty sure I was uneasy about Bob 2.0 from the start, and within months, but no later than January 2017, my worst fears were confirmed, that he was a crap peddler hellbent on extracting as much money from the consumers as he could.

MagicHappens1971

Business thinking of WDW is looking at temporary moving food and wine kiosks to onstage areas during the year when festival goes on. During higher attendance numbers like 12/25-31 , kiosks moved to backstage to allow more volume of guests onstage such as World Showcase. Disney has been doing that for years.
Disney does not move those booths backstage during 12/25-12/31 or any other time of the year.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Disney does not move those booths backstage during 12/25-12/31 or any other time of the year.
There are less active booths for the Holiday Festival. So, they're either moving some backstage or canvassing them up.

Which makes me wonder: It was once said that the maximum length of a festival was set so that the booths wouldn't be considered permanent structures for tax assessment purposes. But now, clearly, they have far exceeded that timeframe for F&W at least. Wonder if WDW is just eating the assessement fee now.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
There are less active booths for the Holiday Festival. So, they're either moving some backstage or canvassing them up.

Which makes me wonder: It was once said that the maximum length of a festival was set so that the booths wouldn't be considered permanent structures for tax assessment purposes. But now, clearly, they have far exceeded that timeframe for F&W at least. Wonder if WDW is just eating the assessement fee now.
That’s interesting! Maybe somebody should measure if they ever get moved 3” between festivuses festivals.

Chi84

Premium Member
I’ve only been on WDW property once for a couple of hours, but I can’t imagine spending more than four days there/vacationing there.
We used to go for 8 days when our kids were little, but with naps, bedtimes and all the other time-consuming things involved with kids we didn't get much done in a single day. Some days they wanted to spend hours at the resort playground or pool.

Your post brought back a great memory! My father-in-law went to WDW only once to visit Epcot and from that point on he insisted that the only to do at WDW was to walk around the world showcase. (I know that's not at all what you meant, but we always found it hilarious.)

spacemt354

Chili's
But what bothers me is that it really seems to irritate people around here that there are still those, like me, who actually like the Disney parks.
I don't think people are irritated because there are those that like the Disney parks.

What fails to be acknowledged in much of the discourse here is that those who are most critical of the Disney parks also also avid fans. The criticism comes from a love of what once was, and through price hikes and cost cuts, they feel the value of the product has diminished.

Yet, there are those that still enjoy the parks despite those predicaments, and that's fine. But everyone has a different threshold for change, and the decisions over the last few years have personally turned me off of the place I grew up cherishing.

Californian Elitist

We used to go for 8 days when our kids were little, but with naps, bedtimes and all the other time-consuming things involved with kids we didn't get much done in a single day. Some days they wanted to spend hours at the resort playground or pool.

Your post brought back a great memory! My father-in-law went to WDW only once to visit Epcot and from that point on he insisted that the only to do at WDW was to walk around the world showcase. (I know that's not at all what you meant, but we always found it hilarious.)
I definitely get the appeal for families. It’s very convenient and a lot of things can be done on property. I grew up going to Disneyland, where going to the parks is as casual as going to the mall. So, the idea of vacationing at a theme park resort seems very strange to me. Then again, I’m not a theme park fan, necessarily, and I’m not a resort vacationer. I like to explore wherever I’m visiting.

Your father-in-law definitely sounds like me. I would be good with spending one day at each park, then leaving to do something else, preferably something unrelated to theme parks. Different strokes!

Jrb1979

I definitely get the appeal for families. It’s very convenient and a lot of things can be done on property. I grew up going to Disneyland, where going to the parks is as casual as going to the mall. So, the idea of vacationing at a theme park resort seems very strange to me. Then again, I’m not a theme park fan, necessarily, and I’m not a resort vacationer. I like to explore wherever I’m visiting.

Your father-in-law definitely sounds like me. I would be good with spending one day at each park, then leaving to do something else, preferably something unrelated to theme parks. Different strokes!
That describes my family to a T except for the theme park part. We don't do all-inclusive resorts either. We love going to different cities and exploring but the difference is we base our decision on if there is an amusement park in the area. On our bucket list is a L.A. trip with stops at Knotts and Magic Mountain

TQQQ

I don't think people are irritated because there are those that like the Disney parks.

What fails to be acknowledged in much of the discourse here is that those who are most critical of the Disney parks also also avid fans. The criticism comes from a love of what once was, and through price hikes and cost cuts, they feel the value of the product has diminished.

Yet, there are those that still enjoy the parks despite those predicaments, and that's fine. But everyone has a different threshold for change, and the decisions over the last few years have personally turned me off of the place I grew up cherishing.
this is exactly how i feel.......

DisneyDebRob

When you look back, this started when Bob 1.0 took over as CEO. When Bob 2.0 was installed as the head of P&R, he hammered the gas pedal. I'm pretty sure I was uneasy about Bob 2.0 from the start, and within months, but no later than January 2017, my worst fears were confirmed, that he was a crap peddler hellbent on extracting as much money from the consumers as he could.
You can look back at the boards on this site from 10-12 years ago, even longer about the “ Death of a thousand cuts” that Disney started then. I remember the little things like the animal bushes around MK and The Contemporary being removed. People were saying you are complaining about that? I and others would say it’s a little thing here and there.. it’s was happening more and more. Seems trivial now with the hundred little things that are gone because they have moved on to bigger things now.
I would never say don’t go.. or it’s not worth it.. or these people are nuts for defending them because value and what people like, they are the ones that decide that. But I remember everything from 1973 to now. In the last 15-20 years it’s been numerous changes and removals and up costs etc where the playing field is no longer the same for every guest. That’s the shame of it. The sad thing is they can’t go back to any of it. They can’t put those little touches back because it costs money. They can’t get rid of the pay for ride because it makes them millions. I guess that’s what we have memories for.😊

MrPromey

I’ve only been on WDW property once for a couple of hours, but I can’t imagine spending more than four days there/vacationing there.

As you probably realize, the attraction count is very similar to DL but spread out across four parks making it pretty much impossible to experience all of it in the same time frame, just due to logistics.

More people spread across those four parks also draws out the process.

But all of that aside, there is way more stuff to do at WDW outside the four main parks. You have to consider the two water parks, spa stuff, boating, golf, horse back riding and other things that almost never get talked about on these forums. Plus, Disney Springs has a lot more to it than DL's Downtown Disney.

I don't think that stuff is what most people on these forums going for a couple weeks at a time are probably doing since again, most of it doesn't seem to get a lot of discussion but if you have the means and the desire, there is plenty to keep someone busy outside of the main theme parks.

MrPromey

What fails to be acknowledged in much of the discourse here is that those who are most critical of the Disney parks are also avid fans. The criticism comes from a love of what once was, and through price hikes and cost cuts, they feel the value of the product has diminished.

You've articulated this perfectly.

It's not like those of us posting here for years (decades for me and others) are part of some undercover operation by Universal super fans to come trash Disney on a forum.

We're not some band of paid internet trolls here to promote Dream Park and attempt to tear down everyone's faith in democracy, capitalism, and Disney.

We wouldn't be spending all this time typing and even more thinking about it all if it didn't still matter to us.

A lot of the people who are so very taken with the place today don't seem to realize that we all felt that exact same way (possibly more so) at one time and that is exactly why we are unhappy, now.

We understand the irrational draw to the place as well as anybody which is why we're so resentful to seeing current management take advantage of it.

bpiper

I thought I remember it being due to building codes. If its under xx days, they follow temporary building building codes, but over the xx days, they have to put a "real" building there.

I remember the stage that high school groups performed at outside of the SW quadrant of Communicore was constantly being taken down and then reassembled.

lazyboy97o

I thought I remember it being due to building codes. If its under xx days, they follow temporary building building codes, but over the xx days, they have to put a "real" building there.

I remember the stage that high school groups performed at outside of the SW quadrant of Communicore was constantly being taken down and then reassembled.
EPCOT Building Code defines temporary as “Intended for use for a period not exceeding 90 days.” (Section 202)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

A lot of infrastructure was installed to enable some -if not most - of the clutter easier / more permanently hooked up to utilities.

Very well put.

Californian Elitist

As you probably realize, the attraction count is very similar to DL but spread out across four parks making it pretty much impossible to experience all of it in the same time frame, just due to logistics.

More people spread across those four parks also draws out the process.

But all of that aside, there is way more stuff to do at WDW outside the four main parks. You have to consider the two water parks, spa stuff, boating, golf, horse back riding and other things that almost never get talked about on these forums. Plus, Disney Springs has a lot more to it than DL's Downtown Disney.

I don't think that stuff is what most people on these forums going for a couple weeks at a time are probably doing since again, most of it doesn't seem to get a lot of discussion but if you have the means and the desire, there is plenty to keep someone busy outside of the main theme parks.
Definitely. I know there’s plenty of things to do outside of the parks on property. Those things just don’t appeal to me. I stated this earlier, but I’m not an all-inclusive resort traveler and I’m not a theme park fan. I’m much more interested in what the place I’m visiting has to offer, culturally. Therefore, staying on WDW property without leaving, for seven days straight, is a no-go for me. I’d rather share that time at museums, going to historical places and landmarks, and doing more things that locals would likely do. It helps that I’m not hellbent on doing everything at WDW. I went to MK in May, spent six hours there, then flew back to CA the next day. Whatever I didn’t get done, I’ll just do it in the future. No need to rush to see everything all at once.

UNCgolf

Definitely. I know there’s plenty of things to do outside of the parks on property. Those things just don’t appeal to me. I stated this earlier, but I’m not an all-inclusive resort traveler and I’m not a theme park fan. I’m much more interested in what the place I’m visiting has to offer, culturally. Therefore, staying on WDW property without leaving, for seven days straight, is a no-go for me. I’d rather share that time at museums, going to historical places and landmarks, and doing more things that locals would likely do. It helps that I’m not hellbent on doing everything at WDW. I went to MK in May, spent six hours there, then flew back to CA the next day. Whatever I didn’t get done, I’ll just do it in the future. No need to rush to see everything all at once.

I can happily spend a week at WDW (or at least I could in the past; not sure if I'd still want to now) but it's also something I'd only do once every few years. It's much cheaper/easier to go there for a week than to fly to London for a week (since I can drive to WDW), but if all things were equal I'd much rather go to London (or Paris, or Rome, or Madrid, etc.)

I'm 100% with you that I'd rather go to museums, historical landmarks, etc. (and have absolutely no interest in all-inclusive resorts or cruises) but Orlando doesn't really offer that. It is the reason I've never been to Disneyland despite being in LA several times, though. Too many other things to do there.

It's an occasional side vacation, partially built on nostalgia (for a lot of things that no longer exist there, unfortunately), for me as opposed to a major destination. Although I don't really know when (if?) I'll go back, because the current experience doesn't sound very fun/good to me.

I wonder if there's a correlation between people's feelings about The Value of a Disney Trip today and where they are in life. As a father of two very small kids so much stuff that might irk me (as a "rational consumer") about the recent price cuts seems to simply fall by the wayside when I can somewhat accurately and happily look forward to a Disney trip that might almost feel like a vacation at points. In fact, the happiness I get from looking forward to our upcoming trip might actually trump the joy I get from the trip itself!

Ten years from now when my kids are tweens/teens, I might not feel so generous. And if I had been going to the parks with my kids for the last 10-15 years then yeah, I can better see where the rub is coming from.

Californian Elitist

I can happily spend a week at WDW (or at least I could in the past; not sure if I'd still want to now) but it's also something I'd only do once every few years. It's much cheaper/easier to go there for a week than to fly to London for a week (since I can drive to WDW), but if all things were equal I'd much rather go to London (or Paris, or Rome, or Madrid, etc.)

I'm 100% with you that I'd rather go to museums, historical landmarks, etc. (and have absolutely no interest in all-inclusive resorts or cruises) but Orlando doesn't really offer that. It is the reason I've never been to Disneyland despite being in LA several times, though. Too many other things to do there.

It's an occasional side vacation, partially built on nostalgia (for a lot of things that no longer exist there, unfortunately), for me as opposed to a major destination. Although I don't really know when (if?) I'll go back, because the current experience doesn't sound very fun/good to me.
That’s the thing, I would actually travel outside of Orlando, if I needed to. I went to Italy in 2019 and spent a month traveling up and down the country. I’d do the same in Florida. If I had seven full days in Florida, I’d do maybe two days at WDW, then head out and go to Miami to satisfy my interest in Cuban culture, then maybe go to St. Petersburg for the remaining part to see historical landmarks. There are too many other things in the state to see and do than going to see Mickey and the gang for seven days.

Given that you’ve been to LA various times, I’d say a trip to Walt Disney’s Magic Kingdom in Orange County is likely overdue, but I don’t blame you for not wanting to go, at the same time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom