Price Hikes Galore! (Genie+ variable pricing, ILL, refillable mugs, SWGE lightsaber and droids)

Tom P.

Please tell me - even ONE THING - I would gain by lying about how many attractions I visited at Disney theme park???

Seriously - WHY would I make it up??? :bored: :bored: :bored:
I dunno. People do strange things on these boards. If not lying, could you simply be mistaken?

Carosuel of Progress is a long(ish) show. It lasts approximately 21 minutes. If you began it at 7:15, it is simply not possible to be at dinner by 7:30. The show would not be finished, let alone the time to walk from Point A to Point B.

I'm not trying to call you a liar. But that's simply not possible.

erstwo

I dunno. People do strange things on these boards. If not lying, could you simply be mistaken?

Carosuel of Progress is a long(ish) show. It lasts approximately 21 minutes. If you began it at 7:15, it is simply not possible to be at dinner by 7:30. The show would not be finished, let alone the time to walk from Point A to Point B.

THE Carousel (ETA - as in 'owned' by Prince Charming, wooden, painted horses, etc. - very regal) - not CoP. Which takes approximately - I don't know 3 minutes to go around in a circle?

Not CoP. I made that point in a much more wordy response that I deleted - however, really what it comes down to - is WHY would I lie? Unless I'm missing some sort of prize given out at the interwebz awards every year?? :bored:

hopemax

Why take the times so literal? Obviously if PP had a photo with a timestamp, they could post that. But I didn't read the list and think "they got in line at this exact time." Especially, if it was a rounded number like 1:00 or 1:15. If lunch at Tony's was 1:15 I just assume riding POTC was more of a 12:50 thing than a 1:00 thing. It's not that big of a deal...

And I think "Carousel" is not the one in Tomorrowland... but the one with the horses in Fantasyland...

Jrb1979

THE Carousel (ETA - as in 'owned' by Prince Charming, wooden, painted horses, etc. - very regal) - not CoP. Which takes approximately - I don't know 3 minutes to go around in a circle?

Not CoP. I made that point in a much more wordy response that I deleted - however, really what it comes down to - is WHY would I lie? Unless I'm missing some sort of prize given out at the interwebz awards every year?? :bored:
I don't doubt that's how your day went but IMO that's an outlier. There is a reason Disney put the disclaimer of getting 2-3 rides a day on their site.

Indy_UK

We are fortunate ‘or not fortunate, depending on your points of view) that we can utilise DAS so haven’t found the need for Genie+

I think if we didn’t have DAS the price of Genie+ would make us have to make a big change to how we vacationed

We are DVC and at the moment, the annual dues on our 420 points and really horrendous £ exchange rate to $ is costing us a fortune. The difference to 6-8 months ago is probably £1500 a year, equivalent to our park tickets per year.

Don’t welcome the price hikes in food either as food was already stupidly expensive. I’d give them the rise in refillable mugs as I still find that really good value

Tom P.

You're right. My fault for misinterpreting which ride you meant. I apologize.

I would agree, however, that what you experienced in your day is very unusual and not the typical Disney experience. And I think you underestimate the number of people who lie about things on these boards. 😂

erstwo

I don't doubt that's how your day went but IMO that's an outlier. There is a reason Disney put the disclaimer of getting 2-3 rides a day on their site.
A day like that isn't an outlier - a day like that is (in my opinion) insanity - I was exhausted at the end of it. I loved being the MK that day - but it wasn't my 'touring' style. However, the teens wanted to ride as many things as possible - and they got what they wanted.

Which leads back to my original point, when I responded to @Sirwalterraleigh 's stance that you couldn't ride on each headliner with Genie+ (as is guaranteed with Express pass) - it's possible with Genie+ to hit all the headliners at MK and then some, even on a busy day. Your milage (and tolerance for arriving early and leaving late) may vary!

erstwo

And I think you underestimate the number of people who lie about things on these boards. 😂
I hope not. I rely on these boards to help me have the best trips possible. My trips vary so much - with my elderly in law who needs to take it slow - with my teens who want to do it all. I hope everyone is doing their best to just keep it as real as possible.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
A day like that isn't an outlier - a day like that is (in my opinion) insanity - I was exhausted at the end of it. I loved being the MK that day - but it wasn't my 'touring' style. However, the teens wanted to ride as many things as possible - and they got what they wanted.

Which leads back to my original point, when I responded to @Sirwalterraleigh 's stance that you couldn't ride on each headliner with Genie+ (as is guaranteed with Express pass) - it's possible with Genie+ to hit all the headliners at MK and then some, even on a busy day. Your milage (and tolerance for arriving early and leaving late) may vary!
That may have been your point…but it’s also a fairly extreme outlier at this point and trending down.

But…I think my reason for commenting was the contention that genie functions “just like express pass”. It’s technical possible but also very unlikely.

It’s not the same product…and the higher big shot Bob pushes the price…the stronger the case there is for Comcast. At least in theory.

MrPromey

I went to USF last year with my (then) 2yo daughter and pregnant wife.

My daughter was 35 inches. Yes, I remember that missing inch meant she couldn't do ANYTHING in either parks. Even Dr. Seuss landing's train ride has a 36in requirement! Well, she could ride the merry-go-round, Shrek 4-D, E.T. and M.I.B. with us, but really 4 rides in 2 parks? Which were about the same my wife could do being pregnant.

I was able to take her on many more rides in Disneyland when she was 8/9 months than 2yo at Uni.
So in spite of how much I think Uni is great, I am not planning to go back until both her and her little brother are over 48 inches or so (which will probably be some 2 years after Epic Universe opens, though they are both above average height for their ages)

We had a similar experience when my son was little. Both your child (and the pregnant wife) are currently blind spots for Universal which always seems puzzling to me because I feel like they could fill that gap pretty easily with more B-D ticket style attractions that aren't expensive and don't need all that much space.

The Yoshi ride coming to Epic Universe should fit the bill and I know they have a Pets ride out in Hollywood that would also be a perfect fit but I've heard nothing about it coming to Florida.

I know that at least publicly, Disney likes to act as though competing with Universal is beneath them but Universal definitely doesn't play coy about their desire to peel back some of those tourist dollars Disney gets so I don't really understand why they've done so little to round out the parks.

Even things like the Jimmy Fallon ride (silly and seems like it should be pretty accessible) end up being too intense for these folks and anyone with motion sickness. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

MrPromey

If people around here are saying that…then they are exactly the target of those “announcements”

But I don’t blame many - if not most - for giving credence to it. It’s corporate/Wall Street espionage

Also, I've always found it weird that announcements about stuff coming some day down the road are used for people to justify the prices and inconvenience of trips being made today - like a trip to WDW is somehow an investment in the future development of the parks - as if the prices won't be 20-50% higher by the time those things (if they ever do - even with the non-blue sky stuff) come along, anyway.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We had a similar experience when my son was little. Both your child (and the pregnant wife) are currently blind spots for Universal which always seems puzzling to me because I feel like they could fill that gap pretty easily with more B-D ticket style attractions that aren't expensive and don't need all that much space.

The Yoshi ride coming to Epic Universe should fit the bill and I know they have a Pets ride out in Hollywood that would also be a perfect fit but I've heard nothing about it coming to Florida.

I know that at least publicly, Disney likes to act as though competing with Universal is beneath them but Universal definitely doesn't play coy about their desire to peel back some of those tourist dollars Disney gets so I don't really understand why they've done so little to round out the parks.

Even things like the Jimmy Fallon ride (silly and seem like they should be pretty accessable) end up being too intense for these folks and anyone with motion sickness. 🤷‍♂️
I think that the idea…just a hunch…is to revisit kid/family stuff after epic opens…probably when they dump the trash Simpsons.

Remember how neglected those parks were when Comcast bought them. Low investment for 10+ years prior.

So they built out to get an on-site clientele…now are opening 2 more parks with more buildout in less than 10 years. Impressive no matter how much you huff it…

So they have some things to address if they continue down this (proven) path.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Also, I've always found it weird that announcements about stuff coming some day down the road are used for people to justify the prices and inconvenience of trips being made today - like a trip to WDW is somehow an investment in the future development of the park - as if the prices won't be 20-50% higher by the time those things (if they ever do - even with the non-blue sky stuff) come along, anyway.
B7…

1665780195651.gif

lazyboy97o

Also, I've always found it weird that announcements about stuff coming some day down the road are used for people to justify the prices and inconvenience of trips being made today - like a trip to WDW is somehow an investment in the future development of the park - as if the prices won't be 20-50% higher by the time those things (if they ever do - even with the non-blue sky stuff) come along, anyway.
I would be more amendable to the argument if Disney didn’t waste so much of the money trying to scheme their way out of doing the things that maintain and improve the guest experience. That’s what’s so bizarre about Disney. It’s not greed, it’s this bizarre backwards thinking where they are spending HUGE sums on avoidance. It’s like avoiding taking out the trash by deciding to remodel your kitchen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom