Price Hikes Galore! (Genie+ variable pricing, ILL, refillable mugs, SWGE lightsaber and droids)

MrPromey

I would be more amendable to the argument if Disney didn’t waste so much of the money trying to scheme their way out of doing the things that maintain and improve the guest experience. That’s what’s so bizarre about Disney. It’s not greed, it’s this bizarre backwards thinking where they are spending HUGE sums on avoidance. It’s like avoiding taking out the trash by deciding to remodel your kitchen.
To me it's more like avoiding taking out the trash by developing an elaborate, highly technical mechanism with many complex moving parts that are easily broken, intended to keep compacting the trash in the kitchen where it will be stored for at least another decade... and forgetting to consider the smell when designing and building it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I would be more amendable to the argument if Disney didn’t waste so much of the money trying to scheme their way out of doing the things that maintain and improve the guest experience. That’s what’s so bizarre about Disney. It’s not greed, it’s this bizarre backwards thinking where they are spending HUGE sums on avoidance. It’s like avoiding taking out the trash by deciding to remodel your kitchen.
The bobs decided to increase price without adding to make it comfortable. They sold it and it was swallowed WHOLE by the magical public.

They threw a Hail Mary and the receiver wasn’t covered in the end zone.

You know this. They haven’t been forced to expand capacity. Hence “galaxies edge”…which is a joke in many ways.

Jrb1979

I don't totally blame Disney. Look at Splash. There is a list a mile long of things that are broken on it yet there is people, even on this board that don't notice.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't totally blame Disney. Look at Splash. There is a list a mile long of things that are broken on it yet there is people, even on this board that don't notice.
It was the greatest ride they built. I know opinions vary…but it definitely was a “finalist”…

And they let it rot in semi mothballs for well over 10 years…

If that doesn’t prove the point…I don’t know what will?

wdwfan4ver

I had a feeling this was going to happen with Genie+. I am surprised Disney only raised prices for Star Wars: Rise of the resistance for WDW in terms of Individual Lightning lane.

The fact is the price increases on Genie+ and what ever individual lightning lane pass attraction will stop when people stop spending money on it. From a national amusement park/ theme park standpoint, Disney has the market for a younger crowd.

Disstevefan1

It’s like avoiding taking out the trash by deciding to remodel your kitchen.
To me it's more like avoiding taking out the trash by developing an elaborate, highly technical mechanism with many complex moving parts that are easily broken, intended to keep compacting the trash in the kitchen where it will be stored for at least another decade... and forgetting to consider the smell when designing and building it.

To me it's like I have MOBS of folks willing to PAY ME to take out my trash and there are so many, I can freely RAISE MY PRICES all I want.

If fact, there are so many folks willing to PAY ME to take out my trash, I needed to implement a reservation system to reduce crowding.

🤣

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
Imagine if Disney just put in the work to actually provide adequate capacity. All of this would be moot. No need to plan. No need to pay more for the hopes of a base line experience.
They will NEVER EVER entertain that idea ever again knowing the money this is generating… sadly no matter what capacity they have people wouldstill pay extra to skip lines & avoid even 30 minute wait times

MrPromey

To me it's like I have MOBS of folks willing to PAY ME to take out my trash and there are so many, I can freely RAISE MY PRICES all I want.

If fact, there are so many folks willing to PAY ME to take out my trash, I needed to implement a reservation system to reduce crowding.

🤣

All while, with a straight face, still not taking out the trash. :rolleyes:

MrPromey

They will NEVER EVER entertain that idea ever again knowing the money this is generating… sadly no matter what capacity they have people would still pay extra to skip lines & avoid even 30 minute wait times
I've said it before and I'll say it again - the day they figured out how to monetize the problem they created was the end of parks managements' goals ever aligning with those of the guests, again.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
I've said it before and I'll say it again - the day they figured out how to monetize the problem they created was the end of parks managements' goals ever aligning with those of the guests, again.
I totally agree but imo they are missing the boat with their guests…. People will pay up we have seen it time and time again even if its not needed and with the $$$ they are charging for these E tickets rides they literally are paying off for themselves in no time directly… would love to know if any insiders know how much each of the ILL have brought in roughly and you have rides that are not brandnew either on that platform…

MrPromey

I totally agree but imo they are missing the boat with their guests…. People will pay up we have seen it time and time again even if its not needed and with the $$$ they are charging for these E tickets rides they literally are paying off for themselves in no time directly… would love to know if any insiders know how much each of the ILL have brought in roughly and you have rides that are not brandnew either on that platform…

How are they missing the boat?

You've just describe exactly how they can spend as little as possible while making as much as possible as long as they can keep an acceptable number of people walking through the gates.

The more crowded and unpleasant they can make it feel, the more money they'll make as long as people en masse don't become wise to the trick and continue to excuse management by suggesting it's out of Disney's control and it's just super high demand for what they're offering because... that's how awesome the magic is?

And as a bonus, they've discovered that part of how they can make it feel that way is by cutting back on operations and staffing to make lower attendance days in the parks feel like busy days, too, allowing them to cut back costs even more while maximizing guest spending.

One would like to think this ability to make money on individual attractions would spur them to start building amazing new stuff to monetize but think about it - why build a new $200-$500 million attraction they'll need to staff and mantain so when it finally opens, they might be able to get $20 a head for people to ride it when they can just up Genie+ by another $5 per person today and the greatest expense is having someone go in change a field in a database?

I'm sure in the half-decade+ it would take them to build that amazing new thing, Genie+ will have risen in price by more than the $20 a head they might have gotten with the attraction, anyway.*

*Of course, they'll still build stuff or gut and refurb existing stuff. There is no way around doing some of that in a competitive market but they're very well incentivized to do the absolute bare minim possible unless an outside force makes them do otherwise, from here on out. They can talk all they want about wanting to make people happy or about trying to improve the guest experience but that's not going to be how they try to make money anymore.

Last edited:

Tom P.

Not to tangent…but that’s EXACTLY what happened. Both Eisner and Roy thought Iger an empty suit…but Roy accepted him just to score the win over Mikey.

One of the accounts - anecdotal - was that Eisner got a call from Diane at the winery the weekend prior to his retirement announcement to tell him “it’s time”

That was the necessary gravitas the Disney family held.

They need that now…cause this clown gotsta go
The sad difference, though, is that all of the prior CEO's at least started out with some measure of potential. Even Iger. Roy may have thought him an empty suit, but he did have some positive qualities and did do some good things. Most of the CEO's have been good at one time but then burnt out or stayed too long. Chapek has been a bad choice from day 1 and I can't see anything positive at all he is doing for the company. I realize 2020 was a mess and there weren't many other good choices waiting in the wings, but I can't believe they went with Chapek.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
How are they missing the boat?

You've just describe exactly how they can spend as little as possible while making as much as possible as long as they can keep an acceptable number of people walking through the gates.

The more crowded and unpleasant they can make it feel, the more money they'll make as long as people en masse don't become wise to the trick and continue to excuse management by suggesting it's out of Disney's control and it's just super high demand for what they're offering because... that's how awesome the magic is?

And as a bonus, they've discovered that part of how they can make it feel that way is by cutting back on operations and staffing to make lower attendance days in the parks feel like busy days, too, allowing them to cut back costs even more while maximizing guest spending.

One would like to think this ability to make money on individual attractions would spur them to start building amazing new stuff to monetize but think about it - why build a new $200-$500 million attraction they'll need to staff and mantain so when it finally opens, they might be able to get $20 a head for people to ride it when they can just up Genie+ by another $5 per person today and the greatest expense is having someone go in change a field in a database?

I'm sure in the half-decade+ it would take them to build that amazing new thing, Genie+ will have risen in price by more than the $20 a head they might have gotten with the attraction, anyway.*

*Of course, they'll still build stuff or gut and refurb existing stuff. There is no way around doing some of that in a competitive market but they're very well incentivized to do the absolute bare minim possible unless an outside force makes them do otherwise, from here on out. They can talk all they want about wanting to make people happy or about trying to improve the guest experience but that's not going to be how they try to make money anymore.
Simply put if historyhas shown us anything Disney guest will pay and pay more when there is more to pay for…

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
Right now, Disney guests are willingly paying more for less.
Listen i get all of that but what im saying is they basically can build a nee ride and literally charge people to ride it and have a good chunk of their investment back directly from charging for the ride… its a win win when you sit back and think about it. These parks are so underbuilt it doesnt matter what they build it will not be enough anytime soon. This way you add to your portfolio and have suckas like us pay for it and give people a better experience & can really start jacking prices up lol

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The sad difference, though, is that all of the prior CEO's at least started out with some measure of potential. Even Iger. Roy may have thought him an empty suit, but he did have some positive qualities and did do some good things. Most of the CEO's have been good at one time but then burnt out or stayed too long. Chapek has been a bad choice from day 1 and I can't see anything positive at all he is doing for the company. I realize 2020 was a mess and there weren't many other good choices waiting in the wings, but I can't believe they went with Chapek.
…dude, we gotta stop meeting like this…😂

…I know. It’s what grates me. People have decided “anyone can do it…” because Iger was a bland personality.

But he wasn’t an idiot. He had long experience in the entertainment biz that proved valuable (not really a parks or economics scholar though)

Chapek…can’t handle himself. Near everything he’s said for 2 years has been a display in public stupidity.
His business experience is in selling cheap product and red lining as much as possible and more.

Couldn’t be a worse fit. My theory is Iger never serious wanted him to follow him. But Bob was a coward when it mattered and somehow was outsmarted by chapek and a bad board. That’s a hit on your legacy, Bob…after you spent 15 years caring about not much else. Tsk tsk.

Last edited:

MrPromey

Listen i get all of that but what im saying is they basically can build a nee ride and literally charge people to ride it and have a good chunk of their investment back directly from charging for the ride… its a win win when you sit back and think about it. These parks are so underbuilt it doesnt matter what they build it will not be enough anytime soon. This way you add to your portfolio and have suckas like us pay for it and give people a better experience & can really start jacking prices up lol

But for that ride to exist, they have to plan, design and then actually build it - all of which cost money they clearly have no interest in spending to expand the parks. Add to that, the idea that it'll take between 5-10 years before they start seeing any return on that investment and that a $300 million attraction will take a lot of ILLs to pay off and I don't think they care to bother.

I'm with you. I fully agree with what you're saying and I think that would be a way to still overcharge but at least with an eye to the future but I don't think things like legacy and long-term future matter to this management.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It’s not you personally…but this is becoming a standard, fan desire refrain. It’s being repeated a lot on threads.

“We’ll get new stuff…we’ll just have to pay for it”

That’s not what the Street wants. They want more money off old, paid for stuff. They don’t want $20 a head off new rides that cost a billion and require new college programmers, mechanics and spare parts.
Yeah but diminishing returns.

Why run a mile to make $2 when you only have to put out your hand to make $1?
Exactly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom