Premium Passholder 20% -- GONE

JimboJones123

Original Poster
Rumor has it, Jan 1, all premium APs will get downgraded to 10% a merchandise discount.

I really don't understand this one at all. As an AP, we never bought any merchandise with the 10%. At all. Seriously, ever.

When we were able to piggyback on my parents' premium passes, we bought tons of shirts, toys, and other whatnots.

Now, Sea World San Antonio gives a 30% merchandise discount on Sundays, so we go shopping crazy there on those days. Our local zoo pass holder discount is only 10%, so we never shop there.

Seriously, I can see this leading to HUGE losses if other pass holders start holding back.

I also know quite a bit of APs that have upgraded to premium just for the extra discount.

Rasvar

I'm actually wondering if a lot of those discounts will just go away. Discounts have always been cyclical. If they think they will do well next year, they will cut the discount but then throw them back later in the year if they are missing their sales marks. I think they are expecting a boost from New Fantasyland. I suspect the numbers may not meet expectations by mid-year.

celluloid

Universal gives me 20% percent on everything, including food and beverage. Busch Gardens does the same, at Busch this even includes cart vendors and Alcohol (which I don't drink but some members of family or friends use it for their beers)
I don't bother getting such passes for WDW anymore because of all the cutsbacks they did on the incentives to their returning customer base.

Next Big Thing

Source? I just purchased the DVC discounted premium pass and I'll be ed if this is true.
I wouldn't be surprised if it's because of the DVC discount deal that it may be going down to 10%. I'm sure they've seen a decent increase in Premium AP's because of that discount.

Patricia Melton

A lot of times I think the people who have Annual Passes come across as demanding way too much...but I side with them on the 20% discount thing. They really should have a 20% discount on purchases because that is an incentive for them to spend more than they probably would otherwise in the long run...while making each individual visit less expensive since they are getting a discount on the food and drink and things they buy.

If they're going to keep selling annual passes they should keep the 20% discount that goes with them.

Longhairbear

Is there anyone who's going to argue that pretty much every other amusment park on the planet offers a much better value than WDW's annual pass? Oh wait, yes there will be. Those who think WDW can do no wrong.:(

There's a reason TDO is offering a $300 discount (!) on its premium annual pass to some of its most experienced customers (DVC members). It's to try to get them back in the parks. I just might consider it after my $199 Universal AP and my $49.99 Six Flags AP expire.:rolleyes:
There is a disturbance in the force that is the DVC members over on another site. One DVC thread is about losing the 20% discount, another is about buying the PAP at the DVC discounted rate. That second thread has no comments, yet, about losing the discount so far, but is not happy about FP+ it seems. The first thread is not happy about losing the 20% discount on all AP. It should be interesting reading the opinions on both threads once it's known that they bought the discounted PAP, only to have the 20% discontinued, and might have limited FP+ when FP goes away permanently.

Doug7856

There is a disturbance in the force that is the DVC members over on another site. One DVC thread is about losing the 20% discount, another is about buying the PAP at the DVC discounted rate. That second thread has no comments, yet, about losing the discount so far, but is not happy about FP+ it seems. The first thread is not happy about losing the 20% discount on all AP. It should be interesting reading the opinions on both threads once it's known that they bought the discounted PAP, only to have the 20% discontinued, and might have limited FP+ when FP goes away permanently.

We were planning to purchase the discounted DVC PAP after Christmas. Our thoughts were that we could add a few nights at a Disney resort before our annual DVC trip, possibly squeeze in an extra trip or two, take advantage of the discounted TIW (reduced) and get the 20% merchandise discount. As we weigh the news of the reduced merchandise discount, we're thinking of doing a Princess Cruise instead of the additional WDW time. We love Walt Disney World, but the reduced maintenance, lock of new rides and attractions, odd cap on FastPass+ for AP's and other ongoing reduced benefits are making me glad we decided against adding on to our DVC membership a few years ago.

articos

This chipping away has been on-going for years, though. Remember when Annuals received (decent) discounts at nearly every restaurant on property? I am surprised at the devaluing of Premier, however.

jmuboy

Starting January 1 2013, Disney will be reducing the merchandise discount at Walt Disney World for Premium and Premier Pass holders from 20% to 10%. This will mean that all Annual Passholders discount will be 10%. The Premier Pass will continue to get a 20% discount at Disneyland.

Seems that the "One Disney" initiative only aligns things when it suits Disney. Unless DL plans to reduce their discount as well.

This is another reason I will use when I am asked why DL is a better vacation spot for a quality Disney vacation the way it was meant to be.

jmuboy

Wow. Again.

Starting January 1 2013, Disney will be reducing the merchandise discount at Walt Disney World for Premium and Premier Pass holders from 20% to 10%. This will mean that all Annual Passholders discount will be 10%. The Premier Pass will continue to get a 20% discount at Disneyland.

Another reason to spend my vacation money and time at DL. They do more to earn it

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom