Premium Parking coming to Walt Disney World's parking lots?

Brad Bishop

WDW is beginning to sound like an airline, looking for fees where ever they can get them -- resort fees, premium parking, tiered tickets. What's next? Bus fare?

I think that's the difference. What they used to do is to increase the attractions to pull in more people. Build more resorts so more people were staying on property. Build DHS. Build AK. Increase the incentives for people to stay on property (EHMs). They used to try to put a carrot out there to get people to come down and enjoy the place. It was a, "If we build it, they will come"-kind of mentality and, added to that, "..we'll make money in the process."

That's a lot different than the current attitude. The current attitude is, "They're coming anyway. How can we extract more money from their wallet without actually doing anything or give them less and pocket the difference."

It feels a lot more mechanized to me. It's not about providing a better experience any longer but just the calculations of, "What can we get do (get away with) to the people who are coming, anyway?" "Where's the data on if we add a resort fee? If we do that, will we lose the most profitable customers?" - that kind of stuff. It's all about a spreadsheet and statistics now.

the-reason14

I don't think it's the premium parking that is an issue here, I think it's the fact that Disney has been doing a lot of cuts lately, and continue to do things that are baiting their guests and not offering them the best experience they are charging them for. I don't have an issue with this, probably because I don't use a car anymore while down there, however with this on top of the rumored $15 resort fee and other cut backs while just having gone through a ticket hike is just not good, period. I hope more and more people begin to have their eyes open and vacation elsewhere, forcing Disney to change for the better.

ryan1

My first thought was "really?" but then I'll never use it nor will it ever affect me so if someone wants to pay to park closer let them.

I'm very happy that free parking is now included in all FL resident season passes so if this helps keep my parking free I'm all for it.

mousehockey37

This isn't going to bother a ton of people. A good percentage of people who vacation at WDW fly in to MCO, then either have a car waiting, take the Magical Express or rent a car and drop it when they get to their resort, not to mention there are a few other ways. This is going to effect people who actually drive to Disney and don't use Disney transportation once there. I mean, c'mon, something like this could actually push people who wouldn't normally use Disney buses and such, to actually use them! Also, as has been pointed out, it's not required. Sure, if you dangle a deal, there's always gonna be someone who'll take the bait... I just keep thinking back to one of the early Simpsons episodes where Homer gets a special parking pass and he winds up on the other side of the fence from his house...

Baloo62

I have enjoyed the AAA Diamond parking perk for years and now that's been taken away to create another up-charge. Bite me TDO. Assuming one goes during the "value" time of year, preferred parking would be 36% of the cost of the actual ticket! Is parking really equal, in terms of vacation dollars, to a third of the Magic Kingdom experience? Now if this were Epcot we were talking about I would say yes....in fact more like two thirds.

Flyersgirl17

i think it's ridiculous. I've been to amusement park which do the same thing but only $5 more. $15? it's just enough. charging with all the little things. Plus i heard the "resort fee" idea has been thrown around again. it's expensive enough to go there that they are nickle and diming us.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
i think it's ridiculous. I've been to amusement park which do the same thing but only $5 more. $15? it's just enough. charging with all the little things. Plus i heard the "resort fee" idea has been thrown around again. it's expensive enough to go there that they are nickle and diming us.

I get being upset about a possible resort fee. I just don't get being upset for a premium parking option.

Flyersgirl17

I get being upset about a possible resort fee. I just don't get being upset for a premium parking option.
i guess it's just another thing that bothers me is all. of course people will pay to not walk an extra few minutes. i just wish it wasn't all about the almighty dollar

betty rose

What concerns me more than this parking rumor is the combination of so many recent news or rumors. I know that other parks do the resort fees, premium parking, and other charges. Still, I'm not sure that's a great reason for Disney to do it.

I'd love to get excited about a rumor of a new ride. Right now, all the rumors are just about price increases or service cuts. I'm a huge Disney fan, but there is a point where it can wear you down and make me wonder if it's worth it.
I feel the same way. We were lucky enough to go during the golden years. DD loves it, because she grew up there, grandson's have been since they were babies. Grandsons are tired of it and want to go to Universal, they are 10 and 13, I agree, but daughter is a Disney crazy. I got over Disney several years ago, but wanted grandsons to experience it, every one in our family is over the "magic", as it doesn't exist anymore except the daughter.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

As long as its really a PREMIUM experience not just grabbing the best parking spaces in each lot and charging 10 bucks extra for them, A UNI premium pass comes with free VALET parking but you can also pay an upcharge and be guaranteed your car in 5 minutes or less.what I object to is Disney's nasty new habit of charging for what once was included and calling it a 'premium' service

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom