Premium Parking coming to Walt Disney World's parking lots?

matt78

How long until they charge you for using the ferry or monorail to get to Magic Kingdom. After all Universal does it with the Hogwarts Express.:banghead:

halltd

This is so stupid. If it were parking across the Lagoon right next to (or behind) MK which avoided the need to take the monorail and/or ferry, THAT might be worth $15. But to pay extra to be in what amounts to the old Diamond lot?? :rolleyes: :jawdrop: :greedy: Absurd!
Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!! How soon everyone forgets the entire reason Seven Seas Lagoon was created and guests were forced to take the monorail and/or ferry to get to the park. The bus loops already annoy me, but parking AT the Magic Kingdom should never be allowed. And I know someone is going to comment on my use of the word never, but I really mean it. We have to hold on to SOME of the ideals as to why WDW was/is so special.

Mike C

I wasn't kidding when I said before, in the "No outside food and drink" thread, that "Six Flags" school of management is here and more is coming to Walt Disney World with the new management there now. Accountaneering is overtaking Imagineering again.

More of this type of thing is going to happen, and a good deal of it will utilize MM+/Bands. The only thing keeping them from charging for parking at Disney Springs is the fact they built the garages through the government. But they still are getting "creative" there too in the future with things to compensate around the edges for this.

Last edited:

gdrj

There are nearly 10000 things that the've done or could do.
I have a hell of a lot less of a problem with them introducing an overpriced paid VIP parking which some people may pay for (but is not required) than I do them raising the prices on parking wholesale (like they did recently).
Adding paid experiences in which I'm not forced to use and has no bearing on my visit bothers me not at all.

I have a few issues with this type of charge (and I don't usually drive to the parks so it really has minimal impact for me).
1- This is more about what can they get away with. They keep taking away or charging for things to see how far they can go. What is next.
2- As they redo the parking at MK I could see them making the a large area for preferred, causing you to have to park further away and having 1/2 of the preferred area empty. Just an annoyance
3- We have been visiting the last 3 years 3 to 4x a year (we've been very fortunate). I have 1 more trip next week after that I am done for awhile. I am not renewing AP's, I am not renewing TIW, and have no plans to visit for awhile. For me enough is enough. They want to thin out the crowds during peak season, I'm going to try to help them out.
4- Doesn't mean we are never going again but instead of a summer visit we are going to the beach, instead of a fall visit looking at a cruise.
5- We have visited Universal once for a day. We will definitely be exploring that option if we have a need to go to Florida.

I always have said that while Disney is not cheap, no matter what I paid I felt I got my money's worth. With HS under construction, EPCOT future World being anything but future I finally will say I don't see the value in the experience. Granted I have visited a lot but with every visit this seems to be a new price increase of some sort.

I understand maximizing profit but at what cost? When they are doing dessert parties at anywhere and everywhere and they keep raising the price it gets to be a bit crazy. I'm kind of surprised they have added a dessert part at 50 bucks a pop on the bus back to your resort. Maybe the next fee will be priority wait for busses?

COProgressFan

Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!! How soon everyone forgets the entire reason Seven Seas Lagoon was created and guests were forced to take the monorail and/or ferry to get to the park. The bus loops already annoy me, but parking AT the Magic Kingdom should never be allowed. And I know someone is going to comment on my use of the word never, but I really mean it. We have to hold on to SOME of the ideals as to why WDW was/is so special.

I think lots of people agree with you, but parks executives have pretty much given up on the "ideals that made WDW special." Sadly, that ship has sailed.

Goofyernmost

I'm curious. What would Disney have to do in order to make you NOT agree with something?
Close... I might not be happy about their policy and charges, but, I do not control the corporation. I do though try and see past my own desires that everything remain the same forever and understand why they would do it. I wouldn't be happy about it and I wouldn't use it. That would be my way of protesting. If I don't give them the money, I am totally unaffected. Besides isn't this just a survey and not a new absolute? If I'm to get upset it would be when it is an actuality and it affects me. This is neither. Why do you care if others are willing to dish out the cash for something that is just barely an extra benefit. That makes them dumber then a bucket of rocks, not the rest of us.

Goofyernmost

Yes, people who are wondering why people are complaining about this, it's not because it's happening and other places do it, it's the precedence it is setting for the across the board money grabs.
They can do all the money grabs they want as long as they don't grab it from me. This one is harmless, it's the others we should be concern about, if we are going to be concerned at all. Increased hotel prices, possible parking charges there, higher prices at Disney Restaurants... none of these are problems for me, but, for those of you that insist that the Disney experience doesn't happen unless you stay on-site... well, you are being exploited.

Me, I have seen a $3.00 per day increase in parking. I can live with that.

MagicHappens1971

The cost overruns at Shanghai Disneyland must be through the ceiling. Also, maybe Disney is attempting to pay for their fabulous new parking garages at Disney Springs. First dynamic pricing on one day passes, then rumors of resort fees and extra parking fees. What increases will we see when Avatar, Star Wars land, and Toy Story land open?
The new parking garages were paid for with tax money.

MissM

I fully understand the intent and the concept however the reality of a whimsical idea in 1971 vs the reality of 2016 is vastly different. No one could have foreseen 20-odd million people a year swarming upon MK. Or it taking an hour (on a good day!) just to get back to your car at the end of the night.

You can park - and walk - easily to any of the other three parks. I never take the tram at Epcot for example. I just walk it. Always winds up faster. It doesn't ruin anything for the enjoyment of my day. But leaving MK can ruin the fun you had when you're tired, it's packed, a monorail is down, they're only running one ferry, etc. Ugh it's exhausting just thinking about it sometimes. Have you ever tried leaving on New Year's Eve? Or when it's at capacity? The system was never designed to handle that sheer amount of people. (I've been on nights where they were running BUSES!!! just to help shuttle people back to the TTC because it was multi-hour wait times.)

I've been literally hundreds of times. And the arrival is never the problem. But the leaving...oh I'd be perfectly fine with it being a little less "magical" and just getting me to my car so I can drive 90 minutes home.

Pirate665

I wonder what Walt would say.....?

This is a statement often ignored now. Because, you're talking about the guy who covertly put a gold roof on a building when his brother was out of town just to get the look right. Today, Walt would be raked over the coals going over board and then discharged from the board chair. Honestly though, if they asked themselves this more often it'd be just a bit better. Say what you will about Eisner, but at least he cared about the company not to let it completely sink.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Obvious answer Marni... surely you can do better. I'm sure none of us were thinking that they were going to donate it to charity.
I could, but this week it's getting tiresome with the multiple price increases. So I kept it short. I've never known so many increases and money grabbing attempts in such a short time.

I recall almost a year ago the warning they were going to try and make money back for the cost of MyMagic anyway they could by little things here and there in addition to the usual price rises. A few dollars here and a few there. Many more up charge events. Charge for anything they can. It looks like it's coming to fruition.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom