Pre-trip report Fort Wilderness Tent Camping

My Family and I were lookin for an inexpensive way to visit WDW. We decided to camp at Fort Wilderness. First let me introduce you to our cast of characters.

Myself Dawn age: 39 yo

1193101968_l.jpg

DD Rosa 10 yo

l_3c47defde07046b6867a6f76512da239.jpg

DM Janet 61 yo

l_85a70260364b7c59b4318bc690497d6f.jpg

DS Nathan 19 yo & GF Stacy 17 yo

l_09dd49760b0ba57a95553d05865b91fb.jpg

DB John 28 yo
SIL Marta 33 yo
DNiece Mercedes 10 yo 1st visit
DNephew Wayne 8 yo 1st visit
DNiece Jasamine 18 months 1st visit

l_7e8c51a03af344ee9e9f90eaca451305.jpg

Here is an updated photo of Jazzy she was 4 months here and she is now 18 months

l_29cab52c0ef44cf9ac26dab24bf542c5.jpg

SamnDawn060304

Original Poster
Date: February 8, 2009 through February 13, 2009

Saving the cost of flying we are driving down to Florida. We will leave our house at 7pm on 2/7/09 and arrive on the 8th at 1pm. We are taken my 2002 Chevy S10 and pulling a small trailer behind it plus my 2008 Honda Civic. We will check out and leave Florida on the 13th @ 10am arriving back in WV @ 2am.

There is a long list of props.

Two 3 room tents
10 sleeping bags
6 air mattresses
1 dining canopy
10 pillows
powerstrips
extension cords

and this list could go on forever you get the idea.

The cost of the lot is $241.85 for 5 nights with 10 people not bad huh?

Well as we are now fighting this bitter cold here today I see that Florida is also 58 degrees there today.:eek: Makes a mental note to pack electric blanket also :rolleyes:

I'll keep you posted. More to come:wave:

KingStefan

This is really exciting! That is definitely a decent price. I've always wanted to try camping there.

How big is that lot? Do you get to pick it ahead of time, or do they assign one to you just before you arrive (like it works at the hotels)?

Keep the pre-trip info coming - this is fun!

SamnDawn060304

Original Poster
You can request one ahead of time but it is not guaranteed. I have requested loop 2000 and lot 2020. I looked at alot of photos of other peoples set up and this looked like the biggest flattest lot. Well I need to add one more person that is going.

DD 62 yo (a little back ground) him and my mom have been divorce since 88 and he is remarried new wife not going my mom yes. BTW my hubby can not go he has to work. :(

This is my DD with Jazzy

m_eedbeee240044ae5fe67d2d038990759.jpg

More to come.

WickedQueen22

I love trip reports! Can't wait to hear how the camping goes. We are debating camping when our littlest is a wee bit older. How brave to camp with a wee toddler!

Happy packing... remember to bring your own water bottles instead of buying them in the park.

SamnDawn060304

Original Poster
Thanks for that reminder. I know that would be smart to bring our own water bottle. Oh Jazzy will be fine she is so smart she already has a huge vocab. The other day she said I peed ... followed up by a " I did I peed" we just about fell out on the floor. :ROFLOL: I told my brother that she gets her intelligence from her Aunt Dawn :D

I plan to take lots of pictures too because I know I was looking every where for pics that would help with my decision.

Adventure

I've always wanted to try camping there myself. Do you have much camping experience? Anyone in your group not fond of camping? Can't wait to hear about your trip. Hope the weather cooperates for you and you have a great trip.

PanfanAL

Fort Wilderness is great. We stayed there in the fall, and had a great time. You will love it. It is big though. The campground is larger than any of the parks, so plan on using the bus system. There is a bus system inside the campground itself, it takes to either the outpost or the marina. From there you get either a boat to MK, or a bus to the other parks. So give yourself a little extra time. But it really works out great.

SamnDawn060304

Original Poster
I've always wanted to try camping there myself. Do you have much camping experience? Anyone in your group not fond of camping? Can't wait to hear about your trip. Hope the weather cooperates for you and you have a great trip.

We are all campers it is the only vacation that we took growing up in the summer time. The weather is the only concern that I have.

Fort Wilderness is great. We stayed there in the fall, and had a great time. You will love it. It is big though. The campground is larger than any of the parks, so plan on using the bus system. There is a bus system inside the campground itself, it takes to either the outpost or the marina. From there you get either a boat to MK, or a bus to the other parks. So give yourself a little extra time. But it really works out great.

Yes I was reading about the transportation taking a little longer unless u rent a golf cart. We would need at least 2 and they are $54 a day:eek: for that price u could rent a compact car :ROFLOL:But I am sure we will get the hang of it.

More to come soon.:sohappy:

SamnDawn060304

Original Poster
Hey Dawn ~ camping in Florida will be better than just about anything in WV. It was -5 here last night! Have fun!

I know that :ROFLOL:it was freezing here too. My brothers water froze so he is spending all day today working on the line. :eek: I think that we have been lucky so far this year though I have not even used a tank of fuel for my furance. :sohappy: Have a good day!

SamnDawn060304

Original Poster
With only 19 days to go I have started packing the kitchen supplies.

Dining canopy
Small refrigerator
Microwave
toaster
electric skillet
coffee maker
can opener
paper plates, cups, & bowls
Plastic silverware
table cloths
clips for table cloth
charcoal
broom/dustpan
coolers
cooking forks
aluminum foil
plastic baggies
lighter
potholders
salt/pepper
dish pan/soap/rags
napkins/papertowels
Fire extingisher spelling? :ROFLOL:
trash bags

All of this fit into 2 nice size totes. except frig & microwave

More to come...:wave:

kstella

The internal bus system is easy to figure out and when in doubt, ask a driver! They're happy to tell you where they are going.

I hope you get a place close to the comfort station. It's always handy to have a bathroom nearby.

Sounds like you have things well in hand for the planning. Hope you have a great time!

SamnDawn060304

Original Poster
The internal bus system is easy to figure out and when in doubt, ask a driver! They're happy to tell you where they are going.

I hope you get a place close to the comfort station. It's always handy to have a bathroom nearby.

Sounds like you have things well in hand for the planning. Hope you have a great time!

Thanks! Happy Birthday hope it is early and not late:). I have made request that are not guaranteed but I asked anyways. Have a great day!:sohappy:

alicia21

My Family and I were lookin for an inexpensive way to visit WDW. We decided to camp at Fort Wilderness. First let me introduce you to our cast of characters.

Myself Dawn age: 39 yo

1193101968_l.jpg

DD Rosa 10 yo

l_3c47defde07046b6867a6f76512da239.jpg

DM Janet 61 yo

l_85a70260364b7c59b4318bc690497d6f.jpg

DS Nathan 19 yo & GF Stacy 17 yo

l_09dd49760b0ba57a95553d05865b91fb.jpg

DB John 28 yo
SIL Marta 33 yo
DNiece Mercedes 10 yo 1st visit
DNephew Wayne 8 yo 1st visit
DNiece Jasamine 18 months 1st visit

l_7e8c51a03af344ee9e9f90eaca451305.jpg

Here is an updated photo of Jazzy she was 4 months here and she is now 18 months

l_29cab52c0ef44cf9ac26dab24bf542c5.jpg
great tips. I enjoyed reading this

SamnDawn060304

Original Poster
Today we will go over the list of things for sleeping & personal.

13 sleeping bags
2 10WX20LX6.5H tents
11 blow up mattresses
12 pillows
10 lights small and large
fan
tarp for under tent
chairs
clothespin
clothesline
umbrellas
rain ponchos X11
rubberhammer
bungee cords
alarm clock
radio
sheets
ear plugs
small hose
phone charger
camera/charger/batteries
camcorder/dvd/charger
navigation system / Map
x-tra batteries for lights
First Aid Kit adding children tylenol/tylenol/chapstick/benadryl/handsanitizer/dramamine/sunblock/aloe/

Timer/x-mas lights for around dining canopy. Timer so that we will have lights at night when we come back at night from the parks.

More to come:sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom