Possible new Star Tours 2 info straight from Anthony Daniels

doop

Awesome news! I've skipped Star Tours my past two trips just because of how boring it has become. I still enjoy the queue though.

CThaddeus

I'd like to be elated about this, but after seeing episodes 1-3, I fear it. I don't want a Jar-Jar, Watto, Gungan, etc. attraction featuring bad stereotype accents. Actually, after visiting Disneyland's Star Tours two days ago, I'm happy with it the way it is. It doesn't feel dated, the line was around 20 minutes, and the people in the cabin with me were having a great time. I didn't notice Disney-MGM's being in any worse of a condition when I was there in December.
If anything were to be changed, the pre-ride video would be about the only thing I'd really recommend. I'm with the poster who said they should keep the same story, and just redo some of the effects (like the comets) using today's technology.

ToTBellHop

6 different ride films? Hahahaha...we are talking about the same Disney, right? You'll get your one ride film and be happy about it ;)

Plus, Disneyland's version only has four simulators, if I'm remembering clearly, and whatever comes to MGM would more than likely come to DL. I'm just wondering if we'll see a queue retheme? Something about the "end of the year" timeframe tells me it would be closer to plugging in the new ride video than creating a completely new ride experience. Either way, can we expect a Star Tours closure this fall, then? Wonder what else they have up their sleeves for MGM over the next year :lookaroun

spaceghost

Tenative approval for a substantial refurb to Star Tours was given several months ago. The scope of the reurb is uncertain, at least to me.
Timeframe mentioned in the article should be fairly accurate.

Been sitting on that nugget for a while. Glad it's getting out there.

That... is the bomb-diggity.

the-reason14

I hope they do something with it. ST is a fun attraction but its more fun to walk through the line then to be on the actual ride. So anything would help there.

mpaul32001

I hope they upgrade the RX-24 droids. Everytime I go on the ride, I hope to get to Endor and it NEVER happens. I think that would be the smartest decision for them to make. Maybe actually make it to the place that's advertised for once....:brick:

Pete C

The ride vehicles are all creaky now and they take you out of the experience. A single StormRider ride vehicle does the job of 3 Star Tours pods as far as capacity, and you get a bigger screen, stronger movement, and "4D" environmental effects in the cabin. Am I crazy or something? Nobody besides me seems to think this is a possibility? Is there any legal reason Disney can't take advantage of the technology they already have at TDS and use it here? I think a simple video replacement would not be a reason to re-visit the park to ride it for a lot of people, whereas a completely new experience would be.

Enigma

Account Suspended
The ride vehicles are all creaky now and they take you out of the experience. A single StormRider ride vehicle does the job of 3 Star Tours pods as far as capacity, and you get a bigger screen, stronger movement, and "4D" environmental effects in the cabin. Am I crazy or something? Nobody besides me seems to think this is a possibility? Is there any legal reason Disney can't take advantage of the technology they already have at TDS and use it here? I think a simple video replacement would not be a reason to re-visit the park to ride it for a lot of people, whereas a completely new experience would be.

UGH. Please as a society im asking everyone can we stop using the term "4D" it has got to be the dumbest buzzword ever.

Champion

I don't know if they'd be using the Stormrider ride system, but I am reasonably sure that they would install some type of new simulator.

Enigma

Account Suspended
I don't know if they'd be using the Stormrider ride system, but I am reasonably sure that they would install some type of new simulator.

From what I understand they actually used Stormrider to test many of the things they wanted to do in Star Tours 2...such as incabin effects.

Champion

From what I understand they actually used Stormrider to test many of the things they wanted to do in Star Tours 2...such as incabin effects.

And one of the other times it was mocked up they used EMVs.

I would say Stormrider (more likely an improved Stormrider system) is probably what they will go with, it just makes more sense than trying to keep the six simulators running.

What is the name of the Stormrider ride system anyway?

jmuboy

What the difference between Stormrider and Star Tours (other than the size?). Are they both the enclosed cabin style simulators?

WhyteAL

I hope they upgrade the RX-24 droids. Everytime I go on the ride, I hope to get to Endor and it NEVER happens. I think that would be the smartest decision for them to make. Maybe actually make it to the place that's advertised for once....:brick:

:lol: and if you really think about it, you actually start off in Endor (under the Ewok village) for the ride quene anyways...:brick: . Of course I think the themeing is supposed to be of studio faux set which is why there are studio boxes and boarding during the entrance to the "A/C" portion of the quene.

Pete C

What the difference between Stormrider and Star Tours (other than the size?). Are they both the enclosed cabin style simulators?

Yes, they are both enclosed cabin style simulators. StormRider is 3x larger capacity-wise, has a larger screen, and has portholes along the sides of the cabin which are displays that show the outside environments going by. I've heard that the movement of the ride is much more impressive than Star Tours. It also has environmental effects that interact with the riders.

For the record I agree the term 4D is stupid, which is why I put it in quotes, but I was just using it because that's what they call it.

I will be riding it for the first time in 3 months so I will be sure to write a trip report.

Champion

Yes, they are both enclosed cabin style simulators. StormRider is 3x larger capacity-wise, has a larger screen, and has portholes along the sides of the cabin which are displays that show the outside environments going by. It also has environmental effects that interact with the riders.

For the record I agree the term 4D is stupid, which is why I put it in quotes, but I was just using it because that's what they call it.

I will be riding it for the first time in 3 months so I will be sure to write a trip report.

Disney doesn't call it 4D anymore.

PhilharMagician

Screamscape now reports today that they were off be one year. That the proposed reopening of ST would be 2009. This at least sounds like a more realistic time frame.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom