Possible Frontierland expansion

yensidtlaw1969

"Ever" is a long time and we really can't say that. Obviously, IASW is not moving any time in the reasonable future; it's unlikely any attraction would except maybe a stage show because it would be fairly easy/cheap (moving Laugh Floor to DHS is probably the only semi-realistic armchair imagineering concept of an attraction moving in the short term that I've seen).

That said, I think IASW moving in the distant future is semi-plausible. Not any time soon, but there are factors that would make it conceivable -- namely, that is is located at a significant choke point for guest movement and because it blocks access to a significant amount of inside the berm land that could be used for expansion. It's possible that somewhere in the distant future that MK might require access to that land and it might be viewed as sensible to move IASW as a way to do it. I am not saying this is likely and it sure as hell wouldn't be any time soon, but it's not an odd idea. As has been noted, IASW is moving in Tokyo due to practical considerations, so it could be done when there is sufficient need. MK at this point obviously does not have the need and there is land elsewhere than can be developed much more easily (even for Fantasyland).

I get that it is annoying to hear people make unrealistic armchair engineering commentary -- especially when the same ones are repeated time and again. I just always question when people talk in absolutes though. Nothing is forever and the MK of 20 or 30 years from now might have completely different needs
For the purposes of this conversation, "ever" is appropriate. It's not moving in any of our lifetimes. Disney does not consider the space behind it an expansion pad. Tokyo's is moving because the current building is unfit for continued use. They didn't decide it would just look nicer by Space Mountain. Unless an earthquake disturbs the Florida showbuilding it's not happening, and even then probably not. The amount of attention the idea is getting on this thread and other places on the net is silly. Any plausibility of this idea is so small and so far away it's actually not worth discussing.

It bothers me that I'm even posting about it, but I'm doing so because people who aren't trolls have started talking about it too, and that shouldn't continue. Especially when there are exciting, real plans on the way.

PhotoDave219

"Ever" is a long time and we really can't say that. Obviously, IASW is not moving any time in the reasonable future; it's unlikely any attraction would except maybe a stage show because it would be fairly easy/cheap (moving Laugh Floor to DHS is probably the only semi-realistic armchair imagineering concept of an attraction moving in the short term that I've seen).

That said, I think IASW moving in the distant future is semi-plausible. Not any time soon, but there are factors that would make it conceivable -- namely, that is is located at a significant choke point for guest movement and because it blocks access to a significant amount of inside the berm land that could be used for expansion. It's possible that somewhere in the distant future that MK might require access to that land and it might be viewed as sensible to move IASW as a way to do it. I am not saying this is likely and it sure as hell wouldn't be any time soon, but it's not an odd idea. As has been noted, IASW is moving in Tokyo due to practical considerations, so it could be done when there is sufficient need. MK at this point obviously does not have the need and there is land elsewhere than can be developed much more easily (even for Fantasyland).

I get that it is annoying to hear people make unrealistic armchair engineering commentary -- especially when the same ones are repeated time and again. I just always question when people talk in absolutes though. Nothing is forever and the MK of 20 or 30 years from now might have completely different needs

I think that the odds of an asteroid hitting the planet and wiping out civilization as we know it are higher than IASW moving.

yensidtlaw1969

People probably said the same thing about Horizons not leaving, Imagination not being changed, 20k not closing.... anything is possible
The difference is that the legacy of It's a Small World far outshines and outreaches any of the above attractions. That song is eternal, whether we like it or not, and the message still bears repeating. The additional 4 Small World attractions around the world corroborate this -- hell, the fact that Tokyo is choosing to rebuild theirs at all rather than invest that money in a new attraction speaks volumes. There's no marketability for them in rebuilding it several yards from where it once stood, but they're doing it anyway because they know what kind of riot they'd incite if they let it die.

I get what you're saying, and it's a point I take somewhat deeply to heart, but this ride actually is different.

Brer Panther

In regards to the "whether or not Splash Mountain works in Frontierland" thing...

They did tweak a few things from the Disneyland version to make it fit more. The music, obviously, and I'm guessing the reason as to why the vultures have top hats and tuxedos is to make them look more like western undertakers (that, and they look cooler with them).

ToTBellHop

In regards to the "whether or not Splash Mountain works in Frontierland" thing...

They did tweak a few things from the Disneyland version to make it fit more. The music, obviously, and I'm guessing the reason as to why the vultures have top hats and tuxedos is to make them look more like western undertakers (that, and they look cooler with them).
Indeed. Because they realized it was a bit of a theming stretch. Water under the bridge though. It's a great ride.

Brer Panther

I also remain pleased that Magic Kingdom doesn't have a Critter Country. Not because it's a bad idea, but because there would be the risk of sticking Pooh there, and Pooh belongs in Fantasyland.

Brer Panther

Doesn't Pocohantas figure in too the Frontierland segments of Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom?

The one problem with a Pocahontas ride? The movie is pretty boring. And maybe it wouldn't be if Jeffery Katzenberg didn't want to make it all "serious" and "Oscar-worthy" (seriously, we almost had a John Candy Turkey!).

ToTBellHop

I also remain pleased that Magic Kingdom doesn't have a Critter Country. Not because it's a bad idea, but because there would be the risk of sticking Pooh there, and Pooh belongs in Fantasyland.
Eh, I don't have a problem with Pooh in Critter Country. I just don't like that they got the worst Pooh ride. Put Pooh's Hunny Hunt there and no one would complain.

doctornick

Original Poster

I don't have a problem with the concept of a Critter Country land, but for WDW, it would belong in DAK.

Also, I'm not sure I'd agree that Pooh "belongs" in Fantasyland, especially as they've increasingly made it more medieval European in character at MK.

Sage of Time

IaSW generates little in the way of gift sales. By removing it they could greatly expand FL by adding franchises that generate considerable sales. It makes sense from a business standpoint. It also would make the MK more aesthetically pleasing and comfortable for guests. There are plenty of good reasons to remove it.
Yeah, just forget all the art, history, and meaning behind IASW. Screw that. Forget the legacy of Mary Blair, the NYWF, and UNICEF.

IASW is a ride that's perfectly in line with the Disney brand: singing children, happiness, and it's family friendly. It's beyond foolish to think that it should be removed.

ProjectXBlog

It isn't like it wouldn't be available. It would just become unique to DL in the US. It isn't vital to WDW's future. Same as many attractions that have moved to yesterland such as 20K, Innerspace, Mission to the Moon etc etc.

It is a theme park not a museum.
wait what? innerspace was never at wdw. mission to mars/flight to the moon weren't big crowd pleasers. and the one salient point you had was with 20k, but that ride was a logistical nightmare for wdw. iasm still gets crowds. i'm just confused, are you doing a weeks-long bit where you just say insane stuff?

ToTBellHop

wait what? innerspace was never at wdw. mission to mars/flight to the moon weren't big crowd pleasers. and the one salient point you had was with 20k, but that ride was a logistical nightmare for wdw. iasm still gets crowds. i'm just confused, are you doing a weeks-long bit where you just say insane stuff?
I wish it was only a week. I think it's life-long, though.

Mawg

Moving rides around to different parks that better fit the theming would be great. But, personally it seems like a waste of money and time at this point just build more and stop closing stuff. Expansion needs to happen before reorganization at this point, these parks are getting too crowded.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom