Possible Frontierland expansion

The Empress Lilly

What's interesting is we have gone full circle...when you look at the 1971 Tomorrowland, it looks amazing again...even though it might have looked dated in the 90s... The lines are timeless. Epic architecture, grandly scaled. Much like Futureworld.
It is a shame the original Gull-wing waterfalls are long gone... Newer technology, lighting and graphics paired with John Hench's classically designed Tomorrowland would still work....and it would look like pure fantasy. That beautiful pristine whitewashed vision of a utopian future society...It had a bold contrast from the multicolored Fantasyland...it worked, really.
The most basic, and most frustrating truth about Tomorrowland. :'(

All architecture is fresh for two decades, then is reviled for two, then is classic for all eternity. So much gets demolished in that short middle bit.

Imagine if Tomorrowland had been left intact. It would be awesome retro futurist forever. Authentic at that, unlike DLP's fake retro future look.
Maybe it's not to late. Wish they would get rid of that 1990s toon space port overlay and restored TL in all its classic splendour. Space Age forever!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The most basic, and most frustrating truth about Tomorrowland. :'(

All architecture is fresh for two decades, then is reviled for two, then is classic for all eternity. So much gets demolished in that short middle bit.

Imagine if Tomorrowland had been left intact. It would be awesome retro futurist forever. Authentic at that, unlike DLP's fake retro future look.
Maybe it's not to late. Wish they would get rid of that 1990s toon space port overlay and restored TL in all its classic splendour. Space Age forever!
And we all know that if and when they redo it they will go Tron themed and start the cycle all over again.;)

rnese

Surely we can all agree that MILF should have a presence in Tomorrow land until the end of time. I look forward to seeing MILF every time I visit. Heck, I have no problem with multiple MILFs throughout the park...or the WDW property for that matter...
Wait...what? Oh...Monster's Inc Laugh Floor?
Never mind...I was WAY off! I'm so embarrassed! Never mind.

DisDan

Surely we can all agree that MILF should have a presence in Tomorrow land until the end of time. I look forward to seeing MILF every time I visit. Heck, I have no problem with multiple MILFs throughout the park...or the WDW property for that matter...

im surprised we can say MILF here

andre85

I like laugh factory =(

Though I might be biased because they used my Eye-Phone joke.

rnese

Some immature, light humor. Sorry mom. I promise to be good from now on.

Sage of Time

Build Discovery Bay and have the wilds of Big Thunder give way to to Steampunk Victorianism.

tumblr_mq3rxa9qTG1r1pz1eo3_r1_500.png

ToTBellHop

Build Discovery Bay and have the wilds of Big Thunder give way to to Steampunk Victorianism.

tumblr_mq3rxa9qTG1r1pz1eo3_r1_500.png
Not in America, I don't think. That would be a wonderful idea for one of the Asian parks, though (similar to how they went with something avant garde for Paris' castle--they have real castles in France and we have the real West...or had).

HauntedMansionFLA

Use the expansion of Pixar place as a means of getting two Pixar properties out of Tomrorowland.
I've said the same thing too. Buzz and Laughing floor over to DHS surrounding other Pixar character themes. Plus, if they ever thought about replacing the Speedway at MK. They could move it over and base it off Cars. It would be different than DLR and the kids get to have fun driving the cars themselves. They really need to have kid / family friendly attractions to even out the park. I am selfish because I just want Star Wars but you can't have it all. Just hoping they come out with awry well thought out park.

rd805

I've said the same thing too. Buzz and Laughing floor over to DHS surrounding other Pixar character themes. Plus, if they ever thought about replacing the Speedway at MK. They could move it over and base it off Cars. It would be different than DLR and the kids get to have fun driving the cars themselves. They really need to have kid / family friendly attractions to even out the park. I am selfish because I just want Star Wars but you can't have it all. Just hoping they come out with awry well thought out park.

DHS already has Toy Story Midway --- doesn't need a second , same movie shooter ride :).

yensidtlaw1969

They moved the Festival of the Lion King to make way for Avatar, Small World is a lot less expensive than that

Not only is this simply untrue, but even if it were it would not afford Disney anything they would consider to be worth the investment of moving Small World.

Festival of the Lion King is a Stage Show, and as far as the infrastructure of Disney stage shows go, it's a fairly traditional one. There are no crazy lifts in the stage, no unusual engineering to the theater -- every component of that show is designed to have been loaded in when they needed to and taken out when it's time to remove the show. The scenic elements are on wheels; many of them are old Parade floats, literally designed to be moved from place to place.

It's a Small World was and is not similarly designed - it is a huge animatronic production filled with heavy machinery and large, bolted-down set pieces in a purpose-built building that was designed to be flooded and be as permanent as can be until they decide to demolish it at great expense or close the park and let the ride rot with it.

The new theater for Festival of the Lion King was designed with this particular show in mind, but a Theater is by it's nature a flexible space, and you better believe they designed it in the understanding that they may one way wish to put another show in there. Small World was designed to last until the building fails or until the end of time, whichever comes first. In Tokyo, it seems, the former is winning that race.

BUT, even IF Disney moved Festival of the Lion King, think about what they got out of it. For the several millions they spent building the new Theater, they got a space in their theme park ready to handle this and whatever the next show one day is, but also the chance to expand their fledgling park in the best possible way, with a visible franchise taking up that newly available prime real estate so that the overall park can more efficiently make back the money that has been invested in it.

Magic Kingdom has no such issues. Beyond the park having plenty of more accessible real estate for them to build upon, Magic Kingdom is making BANK. There is NO financial incentive to undertake worth that exhaustive, and no creative reason either. If they're willing to shoehorn Frozen into Norway, then no idea they have is in their mind *so perfect* for that spot that they wouldn't dream of finding another place to build it before tearing down one of their most enduring and endearing classic attractions and putting it there.

The cost then, further that the demolition costs, to rebuild Small World somewhere else would be SO much higher than building a new theater for FOLK that it's not even funny. Tokyo is making this investment solely because the alternative is to let the attraction fail, and they are thankfully unwilling to do so. If they could keep their Small World running in it's current location until the end of days they would be more than thrilled to do so. The fact is, they can't, so they're taking advantage of the situation.

TL;DR - It ain't happenin'. Ever.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom