Possible Frontierland expansion

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Buzz is definitely a draw to Tomorrowland. 50-70 min waits, usually. Especially during a thunderstorm.

Well then, a huge step for Tomorrowland would be to give the PeopleMover actual substance. So much of the TTA is empty tunnels with zero narration. Adding show scenes inside the tunnels would bring Tomorrowland to life and make the PeopleMover a must-see C-ticket.

Tomorrowland has a lot of wasted potential:
Stitch's Great Escape always half-full
Carousel of Progress always half-full
The PeopleMover not having a lot of substance inside the tunnels (if space is an issue, screen-based show scenes would be perfect)
Nothing on top of CoP (a B/C)
Nothing between Space/CoP (a C/D)
the Main Street parking lot (new attraction behind Buzz)
The Speedway (either make it futuristic, or demo it for Fantasyland)
The space behind the Speedway/Space Mt. (could fit 3-4 attractions)
Tomorrowland Terrace not being open regularly

Expanding/revamping Tomorrowland could help out considerably with MK capacity. There's room for 6-7 new attractions for Tomorrowland and 2-3 new attractions for Fantasyland if they properly used the space.

I agree except for the statement on Buzz. When I was there last Saturday, rides like It's a Small World had 110 minute wait.. Peter Pan - 65 minutes.. Haunted Mansion - 80 minutes.. Seven Dwarves - 110 minutes... Buzz Lightyear never got longer than between a 25 and a 30 minute wait. (Which is the only reason why I honestly waited in the standby for it) It's definitely not a huge reason why people are going to Tomorrowland.

And even on this hot busy day, Stitch, like you said, was only half full. Carousel of Progress was a third full, I wouldn't say half full at all. PeopleMover is fine as it is, except I'd much prefer the futuristic narration to come back. The speedway is shockingly the only attraction in Tomorrowland that can compare queue line wait times to Space Mountain, which is pretty sad.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Oh, by the way, here's a nice little thing I wanted to add in since this thread is on Frontierland!

I watched The Country Bear Jamboree this past Saturday... Crowded park, but this show had a little less than half of the theatre full. Yet, the bears looked good, the audio was good.. And people were ACTUALLY LAUGHING at the right spots! I honestly think that the show shortening and the costume upgrades did the show justice those couple of years ago. When liver lips and big al's curtains opened, there was a pleasant chuckle from the audience. As well as the "I think you should shoot him instead" line.

I dunno, I was just a little shocked at how well it ran and how the audience reacted because the last time I saw it, it was the longer version, and the audience was dead silent. The only little problem I had with the show was that the heads over to the right tend to squeak and click.

MarkTwain

Oh, by the way, here's a nice little thing I wanted to add in since this thread is on Frontierland!

I watched The Country Bear Jamboree this past Saturday... Crowded park, but this show had a little less than half of the theatre full. Yet, the bears looked good, the audio was good.. And people were ACTUALLY LAUGHING at the right spots! I honestly think that the show shortening and the costume upgrades did the show justice those couple of years ago. When liver lips and big al's curtains opened, there was a pleasant chuckle from the audience. As well as the "I think you should shoot him instead" line.

I dunno, I was just a little shocked at how well it ran and how the audience reacted because the last time I saw it, it was the longer version, and the audience was dead silent. The only little problem I had with the show was that the heads over to the right tend to squeak and click.

I make a point of always watching the Country Bears and I've had the exact same observations. I wasn't originally a fan of the idea of cutting the show down, but something about it seems to be playing with audiences really well. It seems people are laughing and following along much more than before.

Magenta Panther

What bother

Yeah, they do, and they just don't move as smoothly as they once did. I saw a video on Youtube not long ago that featured the heads in the Mile Long Bar, and they look and move great. I wish I could find a comparison video somewhere...I wonder, how much of the programmed movement of today's Bears figures are original AA programming, and how much of it is computerized?

CinematicFusion

To me, tomorrowland is hard because the fantasy of the future has caught up to us.
I always saw Tomorrowland as just that...a preview of what is to come.
We are living in the tomorrowland fantasy future.
Look at the crazy technology we have at our disposal...which we take for granted...that wasn't around in the late 60's and 70's.
It is freaking amazing!

The future of tech now is sorta scary. Artificial intelligence. Designer babies. Computer implants in our brains to increase intelligence...maybe on day being able to download our memories onto a computer chip and then upload them into a brand new younger clone of ourselves. Movies have been made about this...it isn't out of the realm of possibility.

But....do you want to make rides about this type of future?
We are moving so fast now that anything Disney creates in tomorrowland will feel dated.

I guess Disney needs to do what they have been doing and concentrate on the fantasies brought to us by the IP's they have bought. Marvel, Lucasfilm, Pixar and less on a version of real time future possibilities.

zooey

I can't imagine it's an original concept which makes me think it's got to be woodys roundup... Very curious what this could entail. Exciting stuff!

afar28

To me, tomorrowland is hard because the fantasy of the future has caught up to us.
I always saw Tomorrowland as just that...a preview of what is to come.
We are living in the tomorrowland fantasy future.
Look at the crazy technology we have at our disposal...which we take for granted...that wasn't around in the late 60's and 70's.
It is freaking amazing!

The future of tech now is sorta scary. Artificial intelligence. Designer babies. Computer implants in our brains to increase intelligence...maybe on day being able to download our memories onto a computer chip and then upload them into a brand new younger clone of ourselves. Movies have been made about this...it isn't out of the realm of possibility.

But....do you want to make rides about this type of future?
We are moving so fast now that anything Disney creates in tomorrowland will feel dated.

I guess Disney needs to do what they have been doing and concentrate on the fantasies brought to us by the IP's they have bought. Marvel, Lucasfilm, Pixar and less on a version of real time future possibilities.
That is true, but I think what they are going for now is a "retro" tomorrowland, based on the 70's view of the future. So adding Monsters doesn't exactly make sense but the theming of the land does.

Wikkler

That is true, but I think what they are going for now is a "retro" tomorrowland, based on the 70's view of the future. So adding Monsters doesn't exactly make sense but the theming of the land does.
That's not what they're going for now. That's what they were aiming for 20 years ago. Now Tomorrowland is a place to put properties that don't belong in the other lands of MK.

IMFearless

I would agree, but I am partial to a Jules Vern/Steam Punk look making TL at DLP right in my wheelhouse.

I tend to think it's much more future proof because of it, as it is clearly a fantasy version of the future, whatever the present is like.

With MK so heavily being a fantasy based park it makes sense that TL should not aim to reflect reality too much. For me that was always the FW part of Epcot's role but we all know how that's turned out.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I tend to think it's much more future proof because of it, as it is clearly a fantasy version of the future, whatever the present is like.

With MK so heavily being a fantasy based park it makes sense that TL should not aim to reflect reality too much. For me that was always the FW part of Epcot's role but we all know how that's turned out.
Absolutely. The only way to future proof a future theme is to go retro/impossible future. It you want to be realistic, you better be prepared to change the entire place every 24 months.

Bocabear

What's interesting is we have gone full circle...when you look at the 1971 Tomorrowland, it looks amazing again...even though it might have looked dated in the 90s... The lines are timeless. Epic architecture, grandly scaled. Much like Futureworld.
It is a shame the original Gull-wing waterfalls are long gone... Newer technology, lighting and graphics paired with John Hench's classically designed Tomorrowland would still work....and it would look like pure fantasy. That beautiful pristine whitewashed vision of a utopian future society...It had a bold contrast from the multicolored Fantasyland...it worked, really.

The Empress Lilly

I make a point of always watching the Country Bears and I've had the exact same observations. I wasn't originally a fan of the idea of cutting the show down, but something about it seems to be playing with audiences really well. It seems people are laughing and following along much more than before.
And you yourself? What do you think of the new show?

IMFearless

I think with technology moving forward so quickly these days it is almost not something kids get excited about any more.

I can remember being 11 and staring in awe at my friend's microwave! That was in 1992 - I was amazed as we never had one - my dad was convinced they would cause cancer!

I can't imagine a child these days noticing technology in the way older generations did because it has simply always been there. It would be like my generation being fascinated by gravity at age 8, it's just old news!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
What's interesting is we have gone full circle...when you look at the 1971 Tomorrowland, it looks amazing again...even though it might have looked dated in the 90s... The lines are timeless. Epic architecture, grandly scaled. Much like Futureworld.
It is a shame the original Gull-wing waterfalls are long gone... Newer technology, lighting and graphics paired with John Hench's classically designed Tomorrowland would still work....and it would look like pure fantasy. That beautiful pristine whitewashed vision of a utopian future society...It had a bold contrast from the multicolored Fantasyland...it worked, really.
Odd how that works ain't it? Had they just left it alone, people would have complained about the dated look for about a decade, but would be raving about the retro look today.:)

lobelia

I think with technology moving forward so quickly these days it is almost not something kids get excited about any more.

I can remember being 11 and staring in awe at my friend's microwave! That was in 1992 - I was amazed as we never had one - my dad was convinced they would cause cancer!

I can't imagine a child these days noticing technology in the way older generations did because it has simply always been there. It would be like my generation being fascinated by gravity at age 8, it's just old news!

I think kids can get excited about future technology. It just has to be introduced. My son may not be interested in genetically modified food or gene replacement but show him something that will make him hover, a virtual 3D screen or magnetic (or a phone battery that lasts longer) and he is very excited. So much so, I saw him tear apart a flashlight to try to make something electromagnetic.

Back to the thread though......Cowboys and guys in coonskin hats rock!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom