Possible Changes coming to the Guest Assistance Cards (GAC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaklgreen

So tell me what your average day at Magic Kingdom consists of and we can compare how much better a time I am having

You are taking this very personally and your emotions have you not hearing what I am saying. I believe you feel that if you want to go to WDW you damn well will go. That is great that is how most feel. That there in fact is the rub. Everyone "thinks" it is a right, but I am saying that why would people think that? Who the heck do we think we are? 50 years ago people knew life had limitations and that you can't always have what you want. It is horrible to have a disability or illness. Even if you have your health and are physically able to do things does not mean you have a god given right. As far as WDW goes as I said it is an amusement park with rides some of which do not even allow disabled people on due to safety issues. No one is owed anything in this life so we should all do what we are able to do and be happy with that.

jaklgreen

Bingo!

There's obviously some very, very strong opinions on this from current GAC users. The tone with which they've interacted with just me in the last 6 hours shows that pretty clearly, let alone others. I won't pretend to understand their emotions, I'll just smile politely and continue on. :)

If Disney had a system in place for the last 15 years where people who can't be in crowds or lines for extended periods of time can show a pass and easily skip those lines, then there's the problem. (Let's just forget about dissecting why someone who can't wait in lines or be in large crowds would then willingly vacation at a crowded amusement park.)

It's gotten to the point where too many people have a GAC card and are hopping from ride to ride and zipping in the exit or Fastpass lane at will, and with the ability to ride an attraction over and over as many times as they want. Or they can just go through a park doing only the popular E Tickets for a few hours, and then leave satisfied with their multi-ride park experience (while an able-bodied family that entered the park at the same time is still stuck in their second 90 minute Standby line of the day).

The problem is that Disney created that system and left it wide open for abuse; parents can go in to Guest Relations and say they have an autistic child (and the kid can be anywhere on the autism spectrum, or not be autistic at all and simply be impatient and mildly medicated like their parents) and there's no way for anyone to have to prove anything or show any paperwork, and a smiling hostess in a plaid vest will hand them their Golden Ticket GAC that allows them open and easy access to whatever ride they want.

If you have a GAC, there's no need to plan your day around Fastpass times, no need to wait in 2 hour Standby lines when the Fastpasses run out or are blocked from your use because you already have a Fastpass elsewhere, and no need to prioritize your park experiences and skip things because the park closes at 10PM and you're running out of time. Just show your GAC and go!

There's gotta be a better way, and I think Disney is on the verge of coming up with that. This should be interesting to watch unfold. ;)

Agree. I can't see of any way that is fair and reasonable, someone will always "cheat the system". Getting rid of it all together might be the only fair option and have everyone stick with the fastpasses. I am sure that Disney would probably get a lot of crap for that.

jaklgreen

I have not used GAC so I can only say from my own observations of people I have seen use it. There does seem to be a bit of a wait time discrepancy between those with and without one. Mostly in the favor of with. I truly believe that most people have no issue with that when it comes to legitimate disabilities. The problem is this is what causes the abusers to get a GAC.

arko

You are taking this very personally and your emotions have you not hearing what I am saying. I believe you feel that if you want to go to WDW you damn well will go. That is great that is how most feel. That there in fact is the rub. Everyone "thinks" it is a right, but I am saying that why would people think that? Who the heck do we think we are? 50 years ago people knew life had limitations and that you can't always have what you want. It is horrible to have a disability or illness. Even if you have your health and are physically able to do things does not mean you have a god given right. As far as WDW goes as I said it is an amusement park with rides some of which do not even allow disabled people on due to safety issues. No one is owed anything in this life so we should all do what we are able to do and be happy with that.

I'm sorry but I am not the one who compared surviving the holocaust to feeling entitled at a theme park. 50 years ago the disabled were locked away in sanitariums because we knew life had limitations, did that make it right.
I have never claimed it is my right to have a GAC or not wait in lines. My argument is simply stating any system is "fair" is impossible because no system will encompass all disabilities and be abuse proof at the same time, fair is a subjective term, based on each persons experience and how the system affects them.
I was simply giving examples on how the return system will not work for everyone equally.

And the reason we go to WDW is actually partially therapy, getting accustomed to large crowds is something that he gets to experience in a non dangerous milieu, and over the years he has become more and more tolerant of them. He also feels safe trying something new and occasionally he tries a new ride ( not always a success), but at least he tries.Lines are a little different because his coping mechanism is to walk away and trapped in a line he can't do this.
If Disney limits the accommodations to the point where he is no longer able to enjoy himself, then we will simply not go anymore, its Disneys park, i am just visiting.

jaklgreen

I'm sorry but I am not the one who compared surviving the holocaust to feeling entitled at a theme park. 50 years ago the disabled were locked away in sanitariums because we knew life had limitations, did that make it right.
I have never claimed it is my right to have a GAC or not wait in lines. My argument is simply stating any system is "fair" is impossible because no system will encompass all disabilities and be abuse proof at the same time, fair is a subjective term, based on each persons experience and how the system affects them.
I was simply giving examples on how the return system will not work for everyone equally.

And the reason we go to WDW is actually partially therapy, getting accustomed to large crowds is something that he gets to experience in a non dangerous milieu, and over the years he has become more and more tolerant of them. He also feels safe trying something new and occasionally he tries a new ride ( not always a success), but at least he tries.Lines are a little different because his coping mechanism is to walk away and trapped in a line he can't do this.
If Disney limits the accommodations to the point where he is no longer able to enjoy himself, then we will simply not go anymore, its Disneys park, i am just visiting.

Then you are obviously not the type of person I was referring to. That being said, even though we know life is not fair, to even things out Disney probably should do away with the whole GAC system the way it is set up. They are trying to help everyone with every problem. And most people have some kind of problem. Who is to say that people with "this" issue should be accommodated over someone with another issue. Someone has flat feet and it is painful to walk, they issue a GAC. I have seen pregnant women with a GAC. They hand them out to everyone who asks. Getting rid of the whole system and letting people use the fastpasses would be better. That would work for most people. They can sit and wait somewhere else until it is time for their fastpass just like the GAC does.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Then you are obviously not the type of person I was referring to. That being said, even though we know life is not fair, to even things out Disney probably should do away with the whole GAC system the way it is set up. They are trying to help everyone with every problem. And most people have some kind of problem. Who is to say that people with "this" issue should be accommodated over someone with another issue. Someone has flat feet and it is painful to walk, they issue a GAC. I have seen pregnant women with a GAC. They hand them out to everyone who asks. Getting rid of the whole system and letting people use the fastpasses would be better. That would work for most people. They can sit and wait somewhere else until it is time for their fastpass just like the GAC does.
But this would put everyone back on a level playing field. That's just unacceptable.

ddrongowski

You know what they say about the word assume....
to take for granted or without proof: to assume that everyone wants peace. Synonyms: suppose, presuppose; postulate, posit.
to take upon oneself; undertake: to assume an obligation.
to take over the duties or responsibilities of: to assume the office of treasurer.
to take on (a particular character, quality, mode of life, etc.); adopt: He assumed the style of an aggressive go-getter.
to take on; be invested or endowed with: The situation assumed a threatening character.

Tom Morrow

Tom Morrow

After all, that is what everyone here is saying that they just want to enjoy WDW "just like everyone else".
Yep, and it all boils down to this:

Should guests with a disability have the opportunity to ride...
1. The same amount as everyone else? or
2. More than everyone else?

Number 1 is the fair choice that treats everyone as equals and does not give them advantages. The ADA strives for equal accommodations, after all. But the "use alternate entrance" GAC falls under number 2, and this is why it is so abused.

awoogala

This is incorrect we use a GAC for my son with autism and are AP and the last one we got in May was for 2 months. While this may have changed since it has not been 18 months

same here. Just went to WDW with a friend in January...who got a gac (and never needed to use it, since her issues didn't "flare" while we were there). They asked when she was coming back (dvc/ap) and offered a much longer gac- good until October.

arko

Yep, and it all boils down to this:

Should guests with a disability have the opportunity to ride...
1. The same amount as everyone else? or
2. More than everyone else?

Number 1 is the fair choice that treats everyone as equals and does not give them advantages. The ADA strives for equal accommodations, after all. But the "use alternate entrance" GAC falls under number 2, and this is why it is so abused.

The problem is its not that simple if it were Disney would have changed it years ago. When Disney first implemented the GAC, I am sure it knew there would be some level of abuse, but like most companies it could not for see how the internet would change how rapidly information could be disseminated. Case in point the thread about drivers licenses and fast passes probably has already increased the frequency of that happening 100 fold.
Now abuse aside the argument becomes one of "fairness", is it fair for Disney to give those with a disability an advantage when waiting in line, vs those without a disability. Now lets be clear the GAC is not an entitlement its as you have said an accommodation, but its Disney's choice as to how big the accommodation is and how it is implemented. Its very easy to see how people perceive the current implementation as unfair, because first it does clearly give an advantage, and they are not able to get this benefit. So the only fair thing to do in your mind is to lessen the benefit to the disabled to a certain degree so that they have less of an "advantage".

So lets ask this question, which is more upsetting the abuse of the GAC or the perception that the GAC allows a disabled person to possibly ride more rides than everyone else, because these are 2 separate and distinct complaints.
The First, GAC abuse I think is not something any of us would argue about on either side, the only question is how do you stop it, and that has no easy answer.
The second is the perception that the GAC means the disabled can ride more rides than a non disabled user, and this is where the whole notion of "fairness" comes into play. Disney with it current policy says yes, reality is variable, because based on disability someone maybe limited on how rides they can do in a day, how many hours they can spend in the park, narrowed interests etc.

So in other words if GAC abuse did not exist, would you still object to someone with a disability going on Buzz Lightyear space ranger spin twice in the same time it takes you go once, and how would it negatively affect your Disney experience.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I am shocked how many people think it is their God given right to go to an amusement park. The ADA did not set up their rules so that handicapped people can go on splash mountain, the government stepped in and made laws so that people with disabilities can go to the grocery store or to the bank or the store to buy clothes and use a restroom in a public place. It is not reasonable to expect an amusement park to accommodate all types of disabilities and that is what the law states. The fact that Disney does all of these thing to try to accommodate everyone is very admirable. And for all of you who think I don't "get" it, I do, you do not know my family situation. I was raised to know that there are limitations in life and you can't always have what you want. There are many many people who are unable to go to WDW for various reasons. Like I tell my kids life is not fair. There are other ways to find entertainment then going to WDW.

Good or bad - the Ada was written mostly open-ended, the be codified by the federal agencies. And it does apply to amusement parks as interpreted and codified by the gov. The Ada has effectively been expanded in scope to try to include all activities - not just essential ones

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
But anything built since 1990, including all of DHS, DAK, several key attractions at Epcot, and all of DCA has fully wheelchair accessible queues. Since the early 1990's it's been illegal to build a public facility otherwise.

Simply not true, all rides have a wheelchair access queue but not ALL are the standby queues. For example, SSE requires a separate side entrance for wheelchair access and most if not all attractions limit wheelchair rider counts to two parties or so. And don't forget the very tiny and slow elevator that is required to get to Soarin and Living with the Land.

EPCOT: Gran Fiesta Tour, Captain EO, Living with the Land, O'Canada, Soarin', Spaceship Earth
DHS: American Film Institute, Honey I Shrunk the Kids, Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular, Beauty and the Beast Stage Show

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
And it's 100% true. We've had to wait as long as 30 minutes even with the card. Disney is doing their best to accommodate with a balanced view in mind.

We have waited over 90 minutes for attractions like BTMRR, TSMM, HM while going through the FP line and then shuffled to the alternate wait area for wheelchairs.

And i very much agree, Disney does a great job of accomodating my wife's needs as much as they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom