Possible Changes coming to the Guest Assistance Cards (GAC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TP2000

The GAC designation that everyone is upset about is not for people with wheelchairs generally, it is for those where the disability is not obvious. And not all people in wheelchairs have exactly the same needs or limitations, some can transfer from the chair to a car, and others are wheelchair bound.

Yes, and Disney has done great work making old vehicles newly wheelchair accessible. At the 1955 Jungle Cruise, they have a boat with a wheelchair lift. At the 1966 and '71 Small World rides, they also have boats with wheelchair lifts, etc., etc. Disney didn't have to do this because the rides are from the 1960's and way past grandfathered status under the ADA laws. They just did it because Disney is awesome that way.

And at new rides, they have special cars where a wheelchair can slide right on and then go through the ride per normal. Like the new Little Mermaid rides found on both coasts;
125+copy.jpg

But I can't think of a reason why the person in the wheelchair who will use these vehicles can't wait through the 60 minute wheelchair accesible Standby line, or pull a Fastpass and plan their day around the Fastpass time like everyone else.

As for GAC holders without wheelchairs, they would basically get an extra Fastpass every couple hours during their visit. If they have some disability where they can't wait in lines or be in crowds, yet they willingly visited a crowded amusement park, they get one extra Fastpass every couple hours. In addition to being able to use the regular Fastpass system and being able to plan their day around the shows and rides they want to see.

Animaniac93-98

You make it sound so idealic and awesome, if only real life were so simple and straight forward and everyone fit into your neat little vision of how it should be.

If we agree that Disney should not have to accomodate every possible medical or physical guest problem, then I see no reason for @TP2000 or anyone else to get condescending remarks for offering solutions to specific cases.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
If we agree that Disney should not have to accomodate every possible medical or physical guest problem, then I see no reason for @TP2000 or anyone else to get condescending remarks for offering solutions to specific cases.

The point is more that he and others are only offering solutions that they perceive meet the needs of specific cases.

As I said, there are myriad different disabilities. Instead of destroying all the good Disney does, why not just accept that some people will abuse the system. I have no data, but I'd bet that the percentage of voter fraud in the US is significantly higher that that of abused GACs.

Animaniac93-98

Instead of destroying all the good Disney does, why not just accept that some people will abuse the system?

Because the level of abuse has affected everyone to an extent that the system hurts more than it helps (or at least more than it should). That's why it's being changed, though the negative media coverage did not help either.

I have no data, but I'd bet that the percentage of voter fraud in the US is significantly higher that that of abused GACs.

Using this data, I can assume the opposite, with respect to voter fraud specifically:

"Out of the 197 million votes cast for federal candidates between 2002 and 2005, only 40 voters were indicted for voter fraud, according to a Department of Justice study outlined during a 2006 Congressional hearing."

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/voter-fraud-real-rare/story?id=17213376#.UeR0tm3NnPA

If MK's average daily attendence is around 40,000 people, then it's not hard to assume the number of abusers in a given day is higher than voter fraud cases in most national elections.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Because the level of abuse has affected everyone to an extent that the system hurts more than it helps (or at least more than it should). That's why it's being changed, though the negative media coverage did not help either.

Using this data, I can assume the opposite, with respect to voter fraud specifically:

"Out of the 197 million votes cast for federal candidates between 2002 and 2005, only 40 voters were indicted for voter fraud, according to a Department of Justice study outlined during a 2006 Congressional hearing."

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/voter-fraud-real-rare/story?id=17213376#.UeR0tm3NnPA

If MK's average daily attendence is around 40,000 people, then it's not hard to assume the number of abusers in a given day is higher than voter fraud cases in most national elections.

You assume that every fraudulent voter gets indicted... ;)

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
So, a person with a disability who chooses to utilize a GAC to partake in some of the same experiences as those without are viewing themselves as "entitled?" And here I was thinking the majority if them were simply trying to overcome their handicaps to share in the proverbial fun....

arko

Yes, and Disney has done great work making old vehicles newly wheelchair accessible. At the 1955 Jungle Cruise, they have a boat with a wheelchair lift. At the 1966 and '71 Small World rides, they also have boats with wheelchair lifts, etc., etc. Disney didn't have to do this because the rides are from the 1960's and way past grandfathered status under the ADA laws. They just did it because Disney is awesome that way.

And at new rides, they have special cars where a wheelchair can slide right on and then go through the ride per normal. Like the new Little Mermaid rides found on both coasts;
125+copy.jpg

But I can't think of a reason why the person in the wheelchair who will use these vehicles can't wait through the 60 minute wheelchair accesible Standby line, or pull a Fastpass and plan their day around the Fastpass time like everyone else.

As for GAC holders without wheelchairs, they would basically get an extra Fastpass every couple hours during their visit. If they have some disability where they can't wait in lines or be in crowds, yet they willingly visited a crowded amusement park, they get one extra Fastpass every couple hours. In addition to being able to use the regular Fastpass system and being able to plan their day around the shows and rides they want to see.

There is a difference between a crowded park and and a line that has no perceived way of escape (real or not). But I wouldn't expect you to understand the difference. Again your assumption is that its easy to plan your day when you have a disability, every disability is different and in many cases your disability plans your day not the other way around, sometimes having the flexibility of not having to wait means you get to ride the ride , because when they gave you a return time your son or daughter has an autistic melt down and you have to leave, are they a spoiled brat or do they simply not understand when the nice CM explained to them how fair it is.

As I said the term fair does not apply here because its a subjective term, a return system is fair to you because you see the perceived benefit to those who don't use it thus swinging the pendulum more towards what you perceive as the middle ground.

Whatever system they come up will be at best a compromise and will not be fair to everyone to whom they have made accommodations for in the past.

The current system errors on the side of accommodating the disabled without trying to categorize, this is to the detriment of the non disabled who do not enjoy the benefits of this accommodation. But because the accommodation is generous it is easily abused, and with the advent of the internet the information on how to do so has spread rapidly and widely in the last few years.
So in response Disney will have to reduce the accommodation in some manner which benefits nobody and only hurts those who need it.

bubbles1812

The point is more that he and others are only offering solutions that they perceive meet the needs of specific cases.

As I said, there are myriad different disabilities. Instead of destroying all the good Disney does, why not just accept that some people will abuse the system. I have no data, but I'd bet that the percentage of voter fraud in the US is significantly higher that that of abused GACs.
I am all for people getting their needs met in reasonable ways, but your suggestion to just accept that "abuse happens" seems absolutely ridiculous to me. You can throw out random irrelevant facts about voter fraud, but that doesn't support your points at all, and I think discredits you a bit (when you make good points) because it is so silly.

Abuse of the GAC system has been a problem for years. There has been countless tangential evidence given on here from guests and CMs alike. And not only on here, but on countless other sites as well. And now the media has demonstrated how really easy it is to abuse the system, highly embarrassing Disney in the process (which they deserved).

Yes, there are no "numbers", but it's been pretty obvious if you read that the number of abusers is far more than just a few as you threw out there. The abuse of the system not only hurts able bodied and/or minded guests but those that are disabled like yourself.

Your needs are met under the current system. That's wonderful. Im sorry it might get more difficult for you though certainly Disney will still accommodate you the best they can, as you have praised them in this thread of doing. That is of course assuming you will still go to WDW.

But do you not think others needs aren't met? And that perhaps the rampant abuse of the system may contribute to that? Sorry, I just find that assumption you make quite odd, as well as the suggestion to just accept the abusers as part of the system, when in fact, all guests are hurt by said abuse. Addressing this problem will not "destroy all the good Disney has done" as you suggest. In fact, they are trying to make it better... for EVERYONE, as again, it impacts all guests, including you.

jaklgreen

So, a person with a disability who chooses to utilize a GAC to partake in some of the same experiences as those without are viewing themselves as "entitled?" And here I was thinking the majority if them were simply trying to overcome their handicaps to share in the proverbial fun....
No, the people who expect places like WDW to give them whatever they want and get mad if they are treated like everyone else are "entitled". There have been many posts basically saying "we have a disability and have suffered so therefore we should be given special accommodations". I have no problem with GAC and the fact that Disney provides them, my issue is with those that feel like its their "right". That fact that you are not understanding me shows that you really have not had a bad life. Never had to worry about where you next meal is coming from. Or run from your home because someone is shooting at you. It is all about perspective on life. Most people have a rosy life in America and really have not clue what hell is. Complaining about waiting in line at WDW is my case in point.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Who has said they expect it? Most on here have said they utilize it to enjoy the parks as those without disabilities would. I suppose you can toss your "entitled" lot out with those masses who abise the GAC....

arko

I am all for people getting their needs met in reasonable ways, but your suggestion to just accept that "abuse happens" seems absolutely ridiculous to me. You can throw out random irrelevant facts about voter fraud, but that doesn't support your points at all, and I think discredits you a bit (when you make good points) because it is so silly. Abuse of the GAC system has been a problem for years. There has been countless tangential evidence given on here from guests and CMs alike. Yes, there are no "numbers", but it's been pretty obvious if you read that the number of abusers is far more than just a few as you threw out there. The abuse of the system not only hurts able bodied and/or minded guests but those that are disabled like yourself. Your needs are met under the current system. That's wonderful. But do you not think others aren't met? And that perhaps the rampant abuse of the system may contribute to that? Sorry, I just find that assumption you make quite odd.

Denying that the abuse is rampant is a mistake, the internet and plain old human nature made it a certainty

jaklgreen

Who has said they expect it? Most on here have said they utilize it to enjoy the parks as those without disabilities would. I suppose you can toss your "entitled" lot out with those masses who abise the GAC....

But people do expect it. Even going as far as saying it is required by the ADA. As I said that is not the spirit of the ADA law. What do you think would happen if Disney stopped giving out GACs altogether and told people just to use the fastpasses. After all they do not have to give you a separate sitting area if you can't wait in line they do that for good service. Don't you think there would be an outrage with people saying that Disney "needs to" or the very least "should" make all of the accommodations.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
But people do expect it. Even going as far as saying it is required by the ADA. As I said that is not the spirit of the ADA law. What do you think would happen if Disney stopped giving out GACs altogether and told people just to use the fastpasses. After all they do not have to give you a separate sitting area if you can't wait in line they do that for good service. Don't you think there would be an outrage with people saying that Disney "needs to" or the very least "should" make all of the accommodations.

The only thing they hope to expect is the opportunity to spend a day as enjoyable as others without disabilities, to the best extent they can. Anything else about "entitlement" is someone else's labeling....

jaklgreen

You are stuck on the term entitled and missing the whole point. WDW is an amusement park and no one "needs" to go there. If someone has a disability and wants to go that is great as long as they know their limits and Disney is able to accommodate them in whatever way they need. But I question why many people especially ones with issues with crowds even put themselves and worse their children thru that. My niece is autistic, she needs her routine and structure and my sister knows that it would be way too much stimulation for her so she does other things that are fun with her.

TP2000

Enjoyable as others? OK, then spend half of your day waiting in line just like everybody else.

I'm tired of hearing about those who are entitled to a better time than I am.

Bingo!

There's obviously some very, very strong opinions on this from current GAC users. The tone with which they've interacted with just me in the last 6 hours shows that pretty clearly, let alone others. I won't pretend to understand their emotions, I'll just smile politely and continue on. :)

If Disney had a system in place for the last 15 years where people who can't be in crowds or lines for extended periods of time can show a pass and easily skip those lines, then there's the problem. (Let's just forget about dissecting why someone who can't wait in lines or be in large crowds would then willingly vacation at a crowded amusement park.)

It's gotten to the point where too many people have a GAC card and are hopping from ride to ride and zipping in the exit or Fastpass lane at will, and with the ability to ride an attraction over and over as many times as they want. Or they can just go through a park doing only the popular E Tickets for a few hours, and then leave satisfied with their multi-ride park experience (while an able-bodied family that entered the park at the same time is still stuck in their second 90 minute Standby line of the day).

The problem is that Disney created that system and left it wide open for abuse; parents can go in to Guest Relations and say they have an autistic child (and the kid can be anywhere on the autism spectrum, or not be autistic at all and simply be impatient and mildly medicated like their parents) and there's no way for anyone to have to prove anything or show any paperwork, and a smiling hostess in a plaid vest will hand them their Golden Ticket GAC that allows them open and easy access to whatever ride they want.

If you have a GAC, there's no need to plan your day around Fastpass times, no need to wait in 2 hour Standby lines when the Fastpasses run out or are blocked from your use because you already have a Fastpass elsewhere, and no need to prioritize your park experiences and skip things because the park closes at 10PM and you're running out of time. Just show your GAC and go!

There's gotta be a better way, and I think Disney is on the verge of coming up with that. This should be interesting to watch unfold. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom