Possible Changes at Test Track

sillyspook13

To make the ride more futuristic there should be a mirror, and as you pass the mirror you can see yourself riding in a car of the future.

That would be a novel idea...:lookaroun

DarkMeasures

And while they're at it, add a couple of inversions and corkscrews. And then at the end they could simulate driving off a cliff with a massive freefall. That definitely says Epcot to me...

Um..... the difference with that is making the ride going 100 mph would not change the height limit. Heck, the imagineers originally planned for Test Track to go to 100 mph and the ride is capable of that.

100 mph isn't that intense, but it would add enough to really bring the ride to a new level. I know many people who complain about Test Track because it's just "riding around in a car."

Figment1986

what about making the car go up and incline, miss a turn and fall 90 degrees AKA sheikra ;)

actually, i like the idea of enahancing the areas to be more themed to the zone rather than leave the area wide open and bare...

then they could change some of the ideas and make everything fit better... have you teleport between the test sites??

Tom Morrow

I doubt the current track structure can support the cars traveling at 100 mph...

You know, I really don't get why some of you think it has to be "futuristic". Sure, its called Future World, but Future World has always been more about how mankind can shape our future more than being like you are actually supposed to be in the future.

Granted, vehicle testing doesn't have much to do with that, either. But oh well. I like Test Track. Its a fun, unique experience, despite what some of you say - and heres why: When you're driving in your car, you're not sitting in an open air electric powered car, driving itself, flying across a tiny narrow track suspended in the air through high banked turns.

If they were to change Test Track to a Cars theme... I would be PO'ed.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Do a simulated tyre blow out, or a mum and push chair walking scross the track, or simply let loose any poorly animals from AK, mind you I dont fancy hitting a sick rhino.

naumoney

Make the ride go 100 mph.

Easy solution. building a giant loop on the turn that is far away from the building. If the track goes outside of the park's boundaries, they could easily do 100 mph without extreme banking.
The original idea was to make them go 100 MPH, but GM thought it would be "inappropriate" to have the ride exceed the speed limit.

...however it is a *bit* too 90's which is nice, and i like the design of the show building, but the style of the cars for example look tired and dated.

Who ever said 'futuristic' car testing has got it spot on, also marni i aggree it needs to be better themed.
Hows this for futuristic?
DSCF0129-1.jpg

This wheel less model was one of the prototypes presented to GM. GM made the final selection on the one we have now, so I can't believe that they would complain about it.
I have heard that GM wants the rider numbers to go up or they will not renew their sponsorship. Although the ride is popular, they can never keep their numbers up because of breakdowns and the complexity of shoving people in the cars quickly enough.
I would love upgrades though. I've always been disappointed with the brake test, my idea is to have the car somehow mount on a sled for this test, and have the sled slide sideways, then spin around before stopping so the car can dismount back onto the track. Or figure out a way to turn all 4 wheels the same direction so the car will "slide". Plus, some cool spinout test or something else small could be added here:
DSCF0117.jpg

fillerup

I'm not quibbling with anybody complaining or questioning TT's suitablity for something called Future World. Maybe it is no more than a ride in a car through a test routine circa 1996.

But.....how is Soarin related to the future - except maybe a new generation of hang gliders. I guess hydroponic gardening is kinda sorta future related - whoopee.

How is Nemo Seas related to the future anymore?

How is UOE related to the future? In fact, how could any ride that takes you past miilions of years extinct critters be about the future?

And Imagination? What's with that?

As for criticism of a bad post show - I'm open to hear suggestions of a better one in FW.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The original idea was to make them go 100 MPH, but GM thought it would be "inappropriate" to have the ride exceed the speed limit.
The banked loops would also have needed to be steeper - WDI wouldn`t do this due to the angle guests would be held at during an E Stop.
This wheel less model was one of the prototypes presented to GM. GM made the final selection on the one we have now, so I can't believe that they would complain about it..
GM complained the attraction opened 18 months late with less than reliable technology - so much so they pulled their Rocket Rods sponsorship during R&D. And we all know what happened there.....

kcnole

I'm not quibbling with anybody complaining or questioning TT's suitablity for something called Future World. Maybe it is no more than a ride in a car through a test routine circa 1996.

But.....how is Soarin related to the future - except maybe a new generation of hang gliders. I guess hydroponic gardening is kinda sorta future related - whoopee.

How is Nemo Seas related to the future anymore?

How is UOE related to the future? In fact, how could any ride that takes you past miilions of years extinct critters be about the future?

And Imagination? What's with that?

As for criticism of a bad post show - I'm open to hear suggestions of a better one in FW.

That's a true and valid statement. Truthfully, Future World should now actually be called World of Discovery or something like that as that would better fit the theme.

fyn

Bravo on missing the point of the original Epcot pavilions. The premise of UoE, WoM, SSE, etc., is to show the *path* that each facet of human life has taken, and to present an optimistic view about WHERE IT IS GOING. (*gasp* the future!)

That was the whole idea behind all of those original rides. Did you even go on Universe of Energy, The Living Seas, SSE, or WoM? The whole point was to learn about where we've been, and to speculate where we're going.:eek:

I got that when I was 10.

JWG

That's a true and valid statement. Truthfully, Future World should now actually be called World of Discovery or something like that as that would better fit the theme.

Accurate. I think Disney needs to pick one location to be Future World, wheter it be Tomorrow Land at Magic Kingdom or the front side of Epcot and make it work. I argue the same about Future World - the Laugh Floor is not futuristic unless you stretch to say interplanetary travel to get to the laugh floor is the future component.

Make one a true "tomorrow" land (Tomorrow Land at MK), and make the other (Epcot) a knowledge/Discovery world as Epcot has become. Innoventions can be about things that will simplify or make life more enjoyable and the pavilions can talk about life and how its changed, will change and what we can do to improve it. SSE tackles communications past to present, UoE should be updated to address the emergence of hybrid vehicles and alternative fuels, JII will be re-done to further explore personal imagination, WoL will show Decomp. in process as it rots :)p ), etc. Test Track could be updated to show transportation past to present and into the future.

FYI, one quick thread hijack comment - The Seas with Nemo -> TERRIBLE. Its nothing but 3D screens of Nemo hiding from his dad with nothing else. I didn't get it, I'm glad I didn't wait to ride it, and I don't see how it will sustain itself once the novelty of it being relatively new is gone. I liked the current JII more than Nemo.

Ok, back to the Test Track commentary...

Chernobog

I'd like to see a Tron version of the ride complete with light cycles. That would certainly fit the theme of Future World better...not to mention the 25th anniversary of the movie.

cb3k

I second the name change...the name "Future World" is too much of a generalization for an entire HALF of such a massive park. SSE, with Project Tomorrow right behind it, and Innoventions just beyond that (although Innoventions is now becoming dated and "un"futuristic) Seems worthy of the title FUTURE WORLD...These attractions with the culmination of the hideous LaL tombstones, the fountain, and the somewhat Future"ish" looking design of the Electric Umbrella and MouseGear are all fine...It is the Pavillions that pose the problem, so the only plausible solution is to change the name of the entire section currently known as FutureWorld...

Champion

I second the name change...the name "Future World" is too much of a generalization for an entire HALF of such a massive park. SSE, with Project Tomorrow right behind it, and Innoventions just beyond that (although Innoventions is now becoming dated and "un"futuristic) Seems worthy of the title FUTURE WORLD...These attractions with the culmination of the hideous LaL tombstones, the fountain, and the somewhat Future"ish" looking design of the Electric Umbrella and MouseGear are all fine...It is the Pavillions that pose the problem, so the only plausible solution is to change the name of the entire section currently known as FutureWorld...

DiscoveryLand or DiscoveryWorld.

CThaddeus

I'd like to see a Tron version of the ride complete with light cycles. That would certainly fit the theme of Future World better...not to mention the 25th anniversary of the movie.

This is an idea I could definitely get behind...but only if there were some educational aspect involved, like maybe computer knowledge.

Epcot82Guy

DiscoveryLand or DiscoveryWorld.

While I understand these have been bantered around, I REALLY dislike them both. Maybe it's the old Discovery Zone play centers. Maybe it's that Discovery is too generic. I just have always shuddered when I saw those names since Project Gemini. Not that Future World has sadly been left in the dust, but I hope it goes in another direction.

I personally always liked the idea of the Future World's Fair as the front half with Innoventions Plaza, SSE, etc part of "Future Core". That way, the central attractions would be updated to showcase future ideas and the idea of future while the rest could be more geared toward Accomplishment/Showcasing Achievement.

naumoney

GM complained the attraction opened 18 months late with less than reliable technology - so much so they pulled their Rocket Rods sponsorship during R&D. And we all know what happened there.....
I realize that, I was just answering all the people who are thinking that there should be a futuristic vehicle design. The exact quote says something about them not wanting to make a vehicle that looked futuristic in 1996, then looked dated soon after, so they went for a current look.

Dizknee_Phreek

You know, I really don't get why some of you think it has to be "futuristic". Sure, its called Future World, but Future World has always been more about how mankind can shape our future more than being like you are actually supposed to be in the future.

If they were to change Test Track to a Cars theme... I would be PO'ed.
I agree on both of these accounts.

Bravo on missing the point of the original Epcot pavilions. The premise of UoE, WoM, SSE, etc., is to show the *path* that each facet of human life has taken, and to present an optimistic view about WHERE IT IS GOING. (*gasp* the future!)

That was the whole idea behind all of those original rides. Did you even go on Universe of Energy, The Living Seas, SSE, or WoM? The whole point was to learn about where we've been, and to speculate where we're going.:eek:

I got that when I was 10.
Although I think your reply was a tad bit harsh and condescending (remember, not every one has gotten a chance to ride the attractions in the original state, if they were able to ride them at all), I agree with you. It took me a little while to fully grasp it...but you're right...Future World is not about being futuristic, but as a look as to how we got where we are, and what we might can do to get to a better future. It's about looking at our lives and our world in a different way, and looking beyond our "norm".

While I understand these have been bantered around, I REALLY dislike them both. Maybe it's the old Discovery Zone play centers. Maybe it's that Discovery is too generic. I just have always shuddered when I saw those names since Project Gemini. Not that Future World has sadly been left in the dust, but I hope it goes in another direction.
Ugh...agreed. I've always hated the thought of changing "Future World" to "Discovery _______". THAT, to me, feels dated. Which, I think it could mainly be because the Discovery Zone play areas, like you said. Nothing screams early 90's to me than that...and I LOVED the 90's. But...I don't like that for Epcot. To me, Future World sounds good and it sounds right and it should stay. Maybe instead of suggesting a name change, people should change their perception of what exactly it means.

MythBuster

The problems at Test Track were tied to the Project Manager, who messed up a lot of things, trying to go cheaper and making some miscalculations and the basically had to redo the whole ride control system. Instead of firing him, he just moved to another department and now he is Vice-President in charge of maintenance for the parks. So if you are wondering why the maintenance is lacking in some attractions, he's the main problem, get rid of the workers and only have minimum coverage and don't stock parts, it saves on the overhead. Got to keep costs low.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom