Poseidon’s Fury at Universal’s Islands of Adventure Closing Permanently May 9, 2023.

Tom Morrow

Lost Continent is too small to have Hyrule put in, especially if that Hyrule is the one in Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom. They’ll probably instead put in a new ride on the Sinbad and Poseidon space.

See the pics I posted a few pages ago. If they demolish Sinbad and Poseidon, they have over five acres to play with there, which gives them room for at least one full size e ticket and more. Super Nintendo World in Japan is only between about 3.5 acres.

Can we please stop bringing up the idea and rumor that Legend of Zelda is going to take over Poseidon's Fury/Lost Continent?!?! That rumor was likely killed in the pandemic, IOA already has a castle-esque building (Hogwarts), and changing LC would be doom for Myhtos Restaurant, which is very popular.

The popularity of Mythos is, for some reason, massively overstated by the theme park enthusiast community. The reality is that it won some sort of award for "Best Theme Park Restaurant" from... I don't even remember who gave it... for the first few years of the park's existence. Universal then kept the banner up boasting that it was voted the BEST theme park restaurant for many years after the fact. The award hardly meant anything. The restaurant has never been insanely popular. It only sticks out because it's pretty good compared to the rest of Universal's kind of bad food offerings. Atmosphere-wise, it's neat because of th cave-like interior, which is not specific to any IP or anything, and could easily be rethemed while retaining the aesthetics.

Last edited:

comics101

I haven't seen Poseidon's Fury since 2012 when I went to Universal for the first time but I'll try to check it out again before it permanently closes.

If this signals the end of Lost Continent, RIP. My absolute favorite part of the land was the area music, especially the score that plays near Mythos. Probably my favorite area music in the entire resort.

Fortunately in the Internet-era, Area Music Loops can live on forever!

Andrew25

The popularity of Mythos is, for some reason, massively overstated by the theme park enthusiast community. The reality is that it won some sort of award for "Best Theme Park Restaurant" from... I don't even remember who gave it... for the first few years of the park's existence. Universal then kept the banner up boasting that it was voted the BEST theme park restaurant for many years after the fact. The award hardly meant anything. The restaurant has never been insanely popular. It only sticks out because it's pretty good compared to the rest of Universal's kind of bad food offerings. Atmosphere-wise, it's neat because of th cave-like interior, which is not specific to any IP or anything, and could easily be rethemed while retaining the aesthetics.
That banner was nothing more than a marketing gimmick for those passing by. You could get day of reservations.

Mythos was popular with fans since it was relatively cheap for a table service restaurant, only a $2-3 more than a bland cheeseburger at one of the quick services, and really good quality.

Brer Oswald

Lost Continent is too small to have Hyrule put in, especially if that Hyrule is the one in Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom. They’ll probably instead put in a new ride on the Sinbad and Poseidon space.
If they put in a Zelda land, it’s just going to be Hyrule Castle Town and maybe some forested outskirts. We’re not getting full BotW Hyrule.

Animaniac93-98

The real important question for me now is: does Hyrule have a mischievous, talking fountain that likes to shoot water at unsuspecting Guests?

I hope so.

I think Universal will recycle as much of the land's infrastructure as possible, much the same way they did with Merlinwood.

Magenta Panther

I respected Poseidon's Fury more than I enjoyed it. Well-done for what it was, but yeah, maybe it's time for it to go. I hope a dark ride goes in its place. Plenty of space there, as I recall. As for what IP, Zelda would be a good choice. The game has mythical overtones that could be a good match for that area, especially given its proximity to Mythos (great place to eat!)

JoeCamel

That banner was nothing more than a marketing gimmick for those passing by. You could get day of reservations.

Mythos was popular with fans since it was relatively cheap for a table service restaurant, only a $2-3 more than a bland cheeseburger at one of the quick services, and really good quality.
Exactly, where else can I get a $10 sliced beef french dip with fries served to me with cloth napkins and waitstaff in dress but the showstopper is the view of Hulk/Doom and toons across the water. I usually got a prime table in the belly just a bit outside peak hours by asking when I checked in at the desk.
The beef medallions evolved over the years from the banner award time of haute cusine to still exceptional pre covid after the kitchen refurb but remain a value in any park.

Last edited:

Casper Gutman

Entertainment venues sitting empty... refurbishing an attraction right before closing it down... it seems Universal keeps copying Disney, the world leader in theme parks!!!
I agree with you completely! IoA now has a whole bunch of vacant attraction space - three huge entertainment venues - and that’s a problem. What’s more, it seems unlikely any of them get filled until 2026 or 27 at the earliest. It seems to be hard not to waste a lot of space at a resort’s second theme park.

JT3000

I agree with you completely! IoA now has a whole bunch of vacant attraction space - three huge entertainment venues - and that’s a problem. What’s more, it seems unlikely any of them get filled until 2026 or 27 at the earliest. It seems to be hard not to waste a lot of space at a resort’s second theme park.
IOA uses its relatively small space more efficiently than most (which leads to questionable sightlines, but that's a topic for another day.) While I'm sure they still have no plans for the Toon Lagoon theater, Poseidon is presumably closing precisely so they can finally do something with Lost Continent. How long that something will take, we don't know yet, but we should at least wait until the project stalls out before complaining.

Last edited:

My95cobras

ahhhhhhh….. the new troll of the thread…. I knew there would be one. Donnie! Get inhere, you’re being outdone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom