Pop Century Phase 2 to be torn down?

In my City, if a building is vacant for a period of at least two years, it must be demolished. Is there a possiblility that the County or othere entity has a similar ordinance so that these Buildings had to be demolished.
Or, with all the people that have been heading over there to take pictures, or just hang out in the cacant buildings, they may have just wanted to get rid of that liability.
Does anybody know for sure that anything is planned, or are there just the same old rumors? Any Insider knowledge on this one?
There is only the Main Building and two of the Hotel Buildings over there anyway. With a few footings. Thats not alot of tear down.

Sad,but I'm still waiting for a Hampton/Disney Alliance.

I assume you mean Hampton Inns, which is owned by the Hilton Hotels Company. They also own Double Tree, Embassy Suites, and The Hilton named hotles.
Didn't Hilton, Inc and Disney open the Swan or Dolphin when it was first constructed? And theres a Hilton and Double Tree near Downtown Disney on Disney property. Disney doesnt really have any "alliances" with too many hotel companies beyond Lease deals for thier property do they?

Phonedave

In my City, if a building is vacant for a period of at least two years, it must be demolished. Is there a possiblility that the County or othere entity has a similar ordinance so that these Buildings had to be demolished.
Or, with all the people that have been heading over there to take pictures, or just hang out in the cacant buildings, they may have just wanted to get rid of that liability.
Does anybody know for sure that anything is planned, or are there just the same old rumors? Any Insider knowledge on this one?
There is only the Main Building and two of the Hotel Buildings over there anyway. With a few footings. Thats not alot of tear down.

I know that WDW permitting is watched pretty closely, but up in my neck of the woods we have a office building that construction was halted on many years back. The owners did *just* enough to keep it in a state of "construction". They did some steel work one year, put a roof on an other, etc. It kept it from being considered adandoned.

It really is not a lot to tear down, old concrete gets re-used as fill. I have no idea what, if any, build systems are in place over there.

-dave

DavyPR

Seems that the early years wont be built but they can still constuct other buildings for the value priced resort and rename it pop culture resort and add some more fun icons to the mix. theres been new things in the past 6 years that can be added.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
For those who are trying to keep hope alive, the letter recieved from guest communications said rather explicitly that the buildings will be torn down, pop century phase 2 will not open.

DisneyMusician2

Do they really need more value resort space? I am also not sure POP DVC would be a big seller. I know if I was going DVC and had the cash, I'd be looking in the Deluxe areas.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
A year ago I could not spell engineer. Now thanks to a Devry home study course I is one.:lookaroun

What is actually there on those exposed foundations? Is there a full slab or just the stem wall?
i think that i might pick me up one of them. i hear they got this online night course and in just 2 years you can get an engineering degree. that's awesome. sign me up. :D got to get me a computer first

goofntink

A year ago I could not spell engineer. Now thanks to a Devry home study course I is one.:lookaroun

What is actually there on those exposed foundations? Is there a full slab or just the stem wall?

On the exposed foundations there are only slabs for a couple of buildings. The rest were dug and leveled for footings and concrete, but they ended up filling everything back in with dirt. Also,from our understanding the building have to be torn down. Alot of it I would agree would be due to the fact no maintenance was kept on the existing structures. There is a building here called the I-4 eyesore in Altamonte Springs,and the only reason it is still there is because they periodically due some sort of construction and keep the permits current, as well as have the building inspected by a structural engineer every six months.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
As Id never stay there I could give a flying fugazi.

Still I enjoy reading up beat story's like this. Shows Disney is not afraid to make changes in these fluid and dynamic times.

JML42691

If this is actually true, then I wish that they could find a way not to do this, how can it be called a [Pop] Century? I guess we will have to wait and see, maybe they are clearing them for a new designed Phase 2.:shrug:

jimmyritt33

construction in Sept.?

Well my family was going to book Pop for September but now with this news about construction we are having second thoughts. to what extent are they doing construction?

DisneyJoe

Well my family was going to book Pop for September but now with this news about construction we are having second thoughts. to what extent are they doing construction?

The construction would be on the other side of hourglass lake, I highly doubt it would interfere with anyone's stay at Pop Century.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.

When you check in you are given a sledge hammer and allocated a wall or room your party must demolish, dependent on length of stay. So its extent is how quickly you do your share.

sweetpee_1993

Last I saw it, there were doors and windows. The video linked on page 2 of this thread also shows windows and doors (almost all of which are closed).

I was thinking of the youtube video I saw recently that showed a person walking around and in some of the structures. I don't recall seeing the doors/windows. Cool if it was weathered in. I suppose the slabs would have been compromised, tho. Thanks for the info! :sohappy: Did you work on this project?

Disneykidder

Interesting thread. I must say, looking at the video, the buildings would make a perfect underground rave site...totally hot!!

Seriously, what a waste of space?! Disney spent big $$ building that, and let it go so long? Instead of constantly building more DVC units and expanding other resorts, they should have finished what they started. Waste of $, space, manpower and time.

No, I don't think it would become a DVC. Does not fit in with the other DVC units currently out there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom