Pop Century Phase 2 to be torn down?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Agree. I wasn't trying to imply that DVC fits everyone's situation, but it allows some to get larger accomodations. It truly is relative to your situation. I'm not a DVC member yet, but I do see the value proposition.
Understood. We desperately wanted to be DVC members. We went on the tour twice but the numbers did not pan out without drastically altering our frequency of travel and our length of stay. The family of 5 was also an issue as the studios and 1 bed room units only accommodate a party of 4 so it was a 2 bed room and above.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
For the first time in more than 7 years we will be staying off property on purpose because of this. We are getting a cabin (almost identical to the ones at Ft Wilderness) at a camp ground just behind MK for $250 per week. This comes with free wi-fi plus all the activities at the camp ground which are pretty extensive. If it works out this will be our new place to stay when at WDW.
holy cow.... your staying off property. too bad that camp ground isnt "Raccon Lake". not that it is around anymore, but it sure did have some "cousin eddie" type qualities (we were on a college budget)

let me know how that is for you, sounds like a good price and i might be following you there one day.

lebeau

We are probably staying off site for the first time on our next trip.

Frankly, my wife doesn't want the "Disney magic" for the whole trip. Even if the free dining is offered, she won't bite. She wants a break from it.

Personally, I'd always choose to stay on property all things being equal. But when I look at how much farther our dollar goes off-site, it's hard for me to argue with her.

Disney really does need to come up with more affordable options for families with more than 2 kids. It's a shame Pop Centry won't be one of those options.

Having said that, I totally get why they won't follow up on Phase 2.

MousDad

To you. Many people feel that staying off-property detracts from the Disney feeling/magic. The DVC is popular for a reason.

Not Magic = family of 4, tired and hot from touring the Parks all day, squeezing into a motel-sized room every night.

Magic = staying off property in a 2BR Condo for 1/2 to 2/3 the price as a Disney Value.

IMO, of course.

I've given my reasons for preferring to stay offsite in many other threads, so I won't repeat myself here. I am a Disneyphile to the core, but when I do stay on property some day, it will just be as a novelty. I don't really prefer it from a practical standpoint.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
holy cow.... your staying off property. too bad that camp ground isnt "Raccon Lake". not that it is around anymore, but it sure did have some "cousin eddie" type qualities (we were on a college budget)

let me know how that is for you, sounds like a good price and i might be following you there one day.
That price is kind of an insider deal. Some friends of ours are members of that particular campground and that is their members only rate. They allow them to extend it to friends and family but they have to check us in (kind of like the old AP rates). I will find out what the rack rate is at that place and also what the membership costs as well.

DME

Has anyone else noticed that the Legendary Years buildings are 4 stories and not 3 like every other value resort?

Ausdaddy

Not Magic = family of 4, tired and hot from touring the Parks all day, squeezing into a motel-sized room every night.

Magic = staying off property in a 2BR Condo for 1/2 to 2/3 the price as a Disney Value.

IMO, of course.

I've given my reasons for preferring to stay offsite in many other threads, so I won't repeat myself here. I am a Disneyphile to the core, but when I do stay on property some day, it will just be as a novelty. I don't really prefer it from a practical standpoint.

You are, of course, entitled to your viewpoint and I respect that. Your presentation is a bit biased, however. Your "Not Magic" line uses terms like "tired and hot" and "squeezing" into the room. The "Magic" line just lists facts about size and pricing. I concede that it can be cheaper and produce larger accomodations. However, you will also be "tired and hot" returning to that condo and have to drive further (or drive, period). You are also not surrounded by Disney theme and service. That is clearly a trade-off you're willing to make. So be it. I am not and i have a family of 4, also.

MousDad

You are, of course, entitled to your viewpoint and I respect that. Your presentation is a bit biased, however. Your "Not Magic" line uses terms like "tired and hot" and "squeezing" into the room. The "Magic" line just lists facts about size and pricing. I concede that it can be cheaper and produce larger accomodations. However, you will also be "tired and hot" returning to that condo and have to drive further (or drive, period). You are also not surrounded by Disney theme and service. That is clearly a trade-off you're willing to make. So be it. I am not and i have a family of 4, also.

That's why I said IMO. What's Magic to you is not Magic to me.

Also, I don't consider staying offsite a trade-off. I'm not giving up anything I need or want to stay offsite. It's what I prefer.

Not trying to argue, just clarifying.

joel_maxwell

That price is kind of an insider deal. Some friends of ours are members of that particular campground and that is their members only rate. They allow them to extend it to friends and family but they have to check us in (kind of like the old AP rates). I will find out what the rack rate is at that place and also what the membership costs as well.
sounds good, let me know what the experience is like as well. Especially the travel in to the parks. any back roads in or do you have to get on the I-4?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
sounds good, let me know what the experience is like as well. Especially the travel in to the parks. any back roads in or do you have to get on the I-4?
I think it will be all back roads but to be quite honest I do not even know exactly where this place is or the name of it for that matter. I guess I should probably find that stuff out before we leave next Friday.

joel_maxwell

I think it will be all back roads but to be quite honest I do not even know exactly where this place is or the name of it for that matter. I guess I should probably find that stuff out before we leave next Friday.
i think that would be wise... and especially so you dont have to pull over and ask, how embarrasing. :lol:

Slowjack

Yeah, I understand the OP's post, but value is not all dollars and cents (or maybe, sense, in Disney's case?). I would love to see more affordable accomodations for larger families, but staying off-site does not increase value for many folks. You're trading value for cheaper/larger accomodations. It's certainly an individual or family decision. I'm not saying a trip isn't magical, if you stay off-site. To some it is, to some, it isn't.
I understand what you are saying, and indeed, I always stay on-site myself, but I think if you include things like "magic" in a value calculation then the term becomes meaningless. Obviously the perceived value, including intangibles, of all items is high to whoever buys them, otherwise they wouldn't be purchased. But under any use of the word "value" in which some things are a better value than others, off-site rooms are a better value, plain and simple. That doesn't mean that some people don't prefer paying more to stay on-site, of course.

boldlyreal

For the first time in more than 7 years we will be staying off property on purpose because of this. We are getting a cabin (almost identical to the ones at Ft Wilderness) at a camp ground just behind MK for $250 per week. This comes with free wi-fi plus all the activities at the camp ground which are pretty extensive. If it works out this will be our new place to stay when at WDW.

What are they called?

Pioneer Hall

It's upsetting that the resort probably won't get done. Maybe some day since ideas are never scrapped...however I feel that Pop Century might need a name change then since it isn't a century anymore.

As far as the comments on DVC and its overwhelming presence. DVC is a completely different entity from Parks and Resorts. While funding of course is spread throughout Disney, DVC doesn't affect regular resort building as much as people think. DVC is incredibly popular and profitable. Disney would be foolish to not capitalize on it the way that they are. Resorts sell out very quickly (especially compared to other time share entities) and guarantee visits and added money. It is honestly a no-brainer if you think about it, and it does add larger accommodations (at a cost).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom