Pooh Queue Rumor: Tigger Bounce Spot to be removed

Mammymouse

We all love the Imagineers for their great creativeness. After all they make the magic for us. But maybe the Imagineers should work a few days (especially in peak season) with the CMs that work the attractions they are re-imagineering so they can get the real feel of how their ideas will work. Boots on the ground trumps ideas on paper any day. That might save a lot of aggravation and money. Just my 2 cents. By the way doesn't Disney have or used to have some sort of program where no matter your position in operations is you got to experience others' jobs - manager doing ride loads, etc.? Does this carry over to Imagineers?

RSoxNo1

That arrangement never made sense to me. Why not put the Peter Pan machines over by the Haunted Mansion. Then you could put the Splash Mountains ones over by the Jungle Cruise. And then..... :brick:

I personally think that either having one central location per land for all of the machines or put them right by the attraction.

Normally the machines are next to the attraction. The thing with Winnie the pooh right now is that the area across from it is currently under construction. When you have machines that are not in use (PhilharMagic) it's much easier to use those than put the machines in a new temporary location when an existing temporary location exists.

As for centralized Fastpasses, I would love to see this. They tried it out at the Animal Kingdom a while ago using the It's Tough to be a Bug Fastpass machines, but stopped. The thing is, if people are already confused by the Fastpass system now, a centralized system could be more confusing to the masses.

Having said that, I'd love to see touch screen computers in multiple park locations that would function like this:

How many people in your party?
(Select # of people)

Scan X # of passes

Which attraction would you like Fastpass?

Space Mountain: 1:05 PM - 2:05 PM
Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin: 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM
Stitch's Great Escape: 11:40 AM - 12:40 PM
Town Square Theater Princesses: 11:40 AM - 12:40 PM
Town Square Theater Mickey: 11:45 AM - 12:45 PM
Peter Pan's Flight: 1:30 PM - 2:30 PM
Winnie the Pooh: 12:45 PM - 1:45 PM
Mickey's PhilharMagic: 11:40 AM - 11:55 AM
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad: 12:30 PM - 1:30 PM
Splash Mountain: 12:40 PM - 1:40 PM
Jungle Cruise: 11:40 AM - 12:40 PM

(Make Selection)

Machine prints out X # of Fastpasses for selected attraction

RunnerEd

Normally the machines are next to the attraction. The thing with Winnie the pooh right now is that the area across from it is currently under construction. When you have machines that are not in use (PhilharMagic) it's much easier to use those than put the machines in a new temporary location when an existing temporary location exists.

As for centralized Fastpasses, I would love to see this. They tried it out at the Animal Kingdom a while ago using the It's Tough to be a Bug Fastpass machines, but stopped. The thing is, if people are already confused by the Fastpass system now, a centralized system could be more confusing to the masses.

Having said that, I'd love to see touch screen computers in multiple park locations that would function like this:

How many people in your party?
(Select # of people)

Scan X # of passes

Which attraction would you like Fastpass?

Space Mountain: 1:05 PM - 2:05 PM
Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin: 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM
Stitch's Great Escape: 11:40 AM - 12:40 PM
Town Square Theater Princesses: 11:40 AM - 12:40 PM
Town Square Theater Mickey: 11:45 AM - 12:45 PM
Peter Pan's Flight: 1:30 PM - 2:30 PM
Winnie the Pooh: 12:45 PM - 1:45 PM
Mickey's PhilharMagic: 11:40 AM - 11:55 AM
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad: 12:30 PM - 1:30 PM
Splash Mountain: 12:40 PM - 1:40 PM
Jungle Cruise: 11:40 AM - 12:40 PM

(Make Selection)

Machine prints out X # of Fastpasses for selected attraction

I like it. If they would put one of those at the current fast pass locations, you could get off of the attraction and immediately get your fastpass for whatever instead of, for example, walking from Soarin' to Test Track only to go back over and queue up for Mission Space. That's a great idea!!!! :wave:

TheBeatles

I spoke to someone involved with Next-Gen and he said Disney is still "learning" about the ins and outs of the interactive queue.

They learned their lesson with Space--people not moving because they are playing the games-- and introduced an optional queue at Pooh and Mansion.

I see the bounce pads as a lesson learned.

Operationally, I've been told and read from those who know, that WDI does not ask or consider input from the people who actually operate the attractions. I'm not sure if that's how its always been, but that's the way it is now.

Getting back to the attraction itself, Cast Members are not happy with the new queue. Noise is the chief complaint. Also, as someone stated, the merge point is a nightmare.

I tried the bounce pads--with a small group of adults-- and all of us loved it and we had to prevent ourselves from bumping into each other or pushing the pad too deep into the ground.

NewfieFan

I spoke to someone involved with Next-Gen and he said Disney is still "learning" about the ins and outs of the interactive queue.

They learned their lesson with Space--people not moving because they are playing the games-- and introduced an optional queue at Pooh and Mansion.

I see the bounce pads as a lesson learned.

Operationally, I've been told and read from those who know, that WDI does not ask or consider input from the people who actually operate the attractions. I'm not sure if that's how its always been, but that's the way it is now.

Getting back to the attraction itself, Cast Members are not happy with the new queue. Noise is the chief complaint. Also, as someone stated, the merge point is a nightmare.

I tried the bounce pads--with a small group of adults-- and all of us loved it and we had to prevent ourselves from bumping into each other or pushing the pad too deep into the ground.

I would have to argue this! I'm sure the CMs know more than I do but I didn't find the queue loud at all, in fact I found it the complete opposite. Instead, of young children screaming and crying they were entertained and laughing. I'd rather listen to a child laugh than a child scream!

And what is the lesson learned from the bouncy spot? Do we even know yet what the problem was with them? Were they too bouncy? Tripping hazard? What?

Rob562

I agree, I'd presume that the Pooh FP machines will eventually be across the path from the attraction. We just have to put up with them at Philharmagic until next year (or later, depending on what goes on with the Dwarfs mine ride construction)

-Rob

TheBeatles

I would have to argue this! I'm sure the CMs know more than I do but I didn't find the queue loud at all, in fact I found it the complete opposite. Instead, of young children screaming and crying they were entertained and laughing. I'd rather listen to a child laugh than a child scream!

And what is the lesson learned from the bouncy spot? Do we even know yet what the problem was with them? Were they too bouncy? Tripping hazard? What?

Trust me... the CMs think it's too noisy.

The lesson learned--in my opinion only-- is that the bounce pads are too much of a risk. They were TOO bouncy when first introduced and now they are a tripping/accidental contact risk.

Disney is very big on safety, especially for Guests, and I don't feel this area is in accordance with that goal.

Cosmic Commando

Al Lutz's most recent column has the story of the new water slides at the Disneyland Hotel pool. Apparently, the steps have no lights so you can't see where you're going at night and WDI did not think about the sight lines for the lifeguards. The operations people will have to hire extra lifeguards until they can figure something out and they are not happy. Isn't this something that Disney used to pride itself on? Thinking of every little detail? Now they don't even think about how lifeguards are going to see the swimmers when they build a pool? It seems like every project has an effect that breaks or is turned off quickly, or some operational problem like this.

Rob562

I agree, I'd presume that the Pooh FP machines will eventually be across the path from the attraction. We just have to put up with them at Philharmagic until next year (or later, depending on what goes on with the Dwarfs mine ride construction)

-Rob

Yes, I'm replying to my reply...

The latest aerial photo posted today here on WDWMagic shows a new free-form concrete area behind the wall directly across the path from Pooh. I'll bet that this will be the ride's new FastPass machine area.

-Rob

RSoxNo1

The latest aerial photo posted today here on WDWMagic shows a new free-form concrete area behind the wall directly across the path from Pooh. I'll bet that this will be the ride's new FastPass machine area.

-Rob
I thought that's what Lee referenced as an area where one of the castle walls would go,

NewfieFan

-Rob

Can't remember what thread I read it in now but I remember reading something just a few days ago about the TLM and Pooh's FPs being in the same spot!?!

Rob562

I thought that's what Lee referenced as an area where one of the castle walls would go,

No, it's much too far away from where the castle walls will be for it to be part of that. It's my understanding from the concept art and blueprints that the wall sections will essentially create a dotted line from the Snow White side of Mrs. Potts over to the Village Haus bathrooms. (Basically right over-top of where Dumbo is now)

This new patch is another 75-100 yards down, almost directly across from the Pooh entrance.

-ROb

RSoxNo1

Can't remember what thread I read it in now but I remember reading something just a few days ago about the TLM and Pooh's FPs being in the same spot!?!

That'd be an odd choice, as the Mine Train will be smack in-between the two.

-Rob

If anything I would guess that the Mermaid and Seven Dwarfs machines would be close by. Even with that though the entrances aren't really close.

Neverland

We all love the Imagineers for their great creativeness. After all they make the magic for us. But maybe the Imagineers should work a few days (especially in peak season) with the CMs that work the attractions they are re-imagineering so they can get the real feel of how their ideas will work. Boots on the ground trumps ideas on paper any day. That might save a lot of aggravation and money. Just my 2 cents.

This. Imagineers are all about theming, which is great, but sometimes they make a CM's job hell just to preserve the theming of an attraction or area. WDI hates things like '(no) stroller parking' signs, and queue ropes, but they are essential, especially in the Magic Kingdom. I also agree with the Pooh queue being horrendously loud. Trying to talk over the bells, horns, drums, clicking radishes, etc, is a nightmare. It's nice on paper, but in person, it's grating.

NoChesterHester

Boots on the ground trumps ideas on paper any day.

While understanding the operational aspects is vitally important I would just like to point out that being focused and driven only by real world operations can stifle creative ideas. I've seen it in many design professions that when someone gets too focused on the pragmatic the creativity disappears. Now I would never say that pragmatism isn't important, but breaking the cycle of what we already know is important for moving forward.

jmuboy

In agreement that this a good choice for this space. Those bounce pads were an injury and lawsuit factory. The cutely themed Pooh meet and greet from DL will look nice in this cozy space. I hope a pergola or awning is there to cover those poor employees inside the costumes from the blazing sun.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom