Pooh Queue Rumor: Tigger Bounce Spot to be removed

JimboJones123

Bingo! You just nailed it on the head.

The Pooh queue as designed, even the Tigger bouncing-lawyer trampolines, is a brilliant and lovely design. For Tokyo Disneyland.

In America, where people have less respect for property and believe their precious-precious angel children can do no wrong no matter the situation, this queue would seem to have a life expectancy of about six months.

But.... because it's in WDW, where maintenance standards are the lowest of the American properties (Back-to-back WDW and Disneyland trips in recent years confirms this, especially at the big animatronic E Ticket attractions. Ask Martin if you wan't a more impartial opinion, since I'm naturally suspect as a Californian), this queue has an even lower life expectancy of about four months.

The new Pooh queue is a good sign, because it seems to show WDI run amok with wonderfully creative queue ideas. But it's also a huge warning flag, because it's apparent that they either asked for no input from the people who actually staff and operate the park, or worse, WDI completely ignored everything the operations folks told them from their 40 years of park operating experience.

Most of the Imagineers in that video linked here look fresh out of college. It's doubtful you'd put a top Imagineer on a queue remodel anyway, but these folks look like they need some real-world life experience. Plus about two weeks of working in the theme park and watching how people interact with it and treat it. Five years of theme park operations experience is what's really needed here before becoming an Imagineer, but two weeks would be a good place to start.

I give this queue four months. Let's chat again in April. :lol:

Don't be too quick to praise DL and dog WDW or park upkeep. It was basically the opposite pre-2005. DL was becoming quite the dump. DCA was a joke of a park for quite a few years before the first big overhaul of dumping Superstar Limo for Monsters Inc and adding ToT. DL, pre-Buzz, hadn't seen anything new at all since Indy.

In fact, it was so bad leading up to the 50th, Roy posted a photo essay article at the savedisney.com site showing more than 1/3 of the attractions in the park shut down or tarped up for rehab or facework. It was really pathetic over there for about two years. It basically was a cleanup of about five + years of neglect in the actual park while they were building DCA, Downtown Disney, and the Grand Californian. Imagine what would happen at WDW, and what we would post if everything else went untouched while FLE took place!

Don't be too down on WDW, they have been doing a pretty good job polishing things up over the past 2 years. It is a legit complaint that they have dumbed down some of thr more unique items at times though. But FLE is changing that more and more.

ABigBrassBand

I don't even remember seeing them last time I went, so I'm assuming they were blocked off and are being taken down.

Good riddance, I could see it now. "Injury at world-class Disney theme park"

IlikeDW

Oh... my... Gawd. What were they thinking?!?

I agree that Amber Samdahl, if she is the lead designer here as she appears to be in the video, needs to polish up her resume'. Some really, really poor decision making skills were put on display here. And to think how much money was wasted on this? It makes you shudder. Is there no system of checks and balances at WDW where operations management can put their foot down and say no to a WDI idea?

For the record, I can lament the sleezeball lawyers and the sleezeball folks who employ them after their precious angel trips and falls in a bouncy queue at Disney World. But you have to realize that's the reality we live in now. You can't pretend the modern world stops at the edge of the Pooh queue.

My other thought watching that video was... How many weeks will all of those effects work for? It's been almost 60 days, do the honking radishes still work? Are the gophers still popping up? Do the drums still look like watermelons? I can easily imagine that things are broken or becoming worn and not the "fresh and polished" queue the Imagineers were gloating about in the video. And if the queue is showing signs of wear and breakage at the 60 day mark, what does it look like at the 6 month mark? A year from now? Three years from now? :eek:

Who on earth approved spending the money on this???

Is this the "Next Gen" queue experience stuff we've been hearing about? If so, this just sounds like an idea doomed to failure and broken equipment, and a monumental waste of money. I'm utterly amazed here.

As of Sunday everything still looked good and worked. They are doing maintenance on it. Will find picture later, on the bell spinners there are these little nylon balls that hit the bells to make them ring, one day two were missing the next day they were all fixed. To me it looks like they are trying to keep the area clean and functional, it really gets used hard and heavy.

Ohboy!

What if a guest slips on the moving walkway at Haunted Mansion or while stepping into a boat on It's a Small World? What if a kid falls off the slide at the play area near Splash Mountain? How about kids goofing off at Tom Sawyer Island or Swiss Family Treehouse? There's some inherent risk involved when you or your kids partake in just about anything at the parks. A good Disney-retained lawyer should be able to make most frivolous lawsuits go away...they must get a new pile weekly.

Besides...it's Tigger's spot...what else are they going to to at Tigger's spot?

TalkingHead

I'm amazed at some of the comments defending the bouncing pads. Are some of you so blind in your defense of all things Disney that you can't see that these things were a bad idea from the start? Guess I shouldn't be surprised, considering the site and everything.

Ohboy!

Not me...I'm FAR from an apologist. I just think that in this instance, the reaction is overblown. You can see what it is before you CHOOSE to enter the area and then CHOOSE to try to bounce.

RSoxNo1

The problem with the Tigger bounce pads is that they're way too bouncy. They can definitely stay in the same area, they just need to change the bounciness so that they only move an inch or two. They can make up for this change by perhaps adding an audio response every time a child steps on them.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
The problem with the Tigger bounce pads is that they're way too bouncy. They can definitely stay in the same area, they just need to change the bounciness so that they only move an inch or two. They can make up for this change by perhaps adding an audio response every time a child steps on them.

I think that could be a reasonable solution. I also think there was a design flaw in how small the pads are. I'm sure this is mainly designed for children, but I'm sure plenty of adults would have played too. As a previous poster mentioned, it is hard to get your entire foot on the pad so you don't fall. I have kind of big feet for a girl and I could totally see myself misplacing my foot and doing a world class face plant. Tigger's Bouncy Place = Tigger's Crashy Place for me.

thelookingglass

Don't be too down on WDW, they have been doing a pretty good job polishing things up over the past 2 years. It is a legit complaint that they have dumbed down some of thr more unique items at times though. But FLE is changing that more and more.
Yeah, while they are doing quite a bit of sprucing up around WDW, the general state of upkeep of the parks and attractions is still pretty bad. Its rare these days to ride even the biggest E-tickets and not notice something not working.
Not me...I'm FAR from an apologist. I just think that in this instance, the reaction is overblown. You can see what it is before you CHOOSE to enter the area and then CHOOSE to try to bounce.
Unfortunately, this is not how lawsuit-happy people think. Also, I don't think the reaction is overblown at all. The way the pads are so small and sink pretty far into solid ground means injuries are very likely to happen. I also agree with others that its quite alarming that something like this got past the drawing tables.

powlessfamily4

Because the posters here are outside of its target demographic. I've noticed a lot of people on these boards take issue with park additions that aren't aimed at them or focus specifically on children. If they can't personally enjoy it then it's deemed a waste.

I agree!!
The concept for this is great... the execution not so good. Having said that, how many parents here allow their children to go into the inflatable moonwalks and allow them to bounce to their hearts content? We all hear the shrieks of laughter and the cries of pain.

I say use at your own risk. Your always going to have those parents who uses poor decision skills, however I think most parents are responsible enough to handle it. If it is that big of a deal turn it into an inflatable tunnel.

BrerFrog

I saw some guests in there the day before yesterday. I thought they had opened up the area, but when I returned it was closed again and no guests were bouncing. I am guessing they just jumped through the tress that are blocking the place and entered without permission. :shrug:

WDWFREAK53

The problem with that is that it would imply Disney is acknowledging the area is dangerous.

But aren't all playgrounds and water areas the same way?

How is it different from the safety spiels? They are implying that it's dangerous to put your arms and/or legs outside of the ride vehicle.

Tigger1988

Someone on Twitter just said the Bounce area is currently open to guests. So maybe we all need to wait and see if this rumor comes to fruition before condemning the whole idea.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom