Polynesian Refurb

Condorman

Indeed. It's superior to the Poly in just about every way, and for a fraction of the price most of the time (especially if you have or can drag someone in even briefly who can produce FL identification). Then again, I think any of the three hotels at Universal are better than any hotel at WDW in every way.

(Disclaimer: I've stayed at many of the Disney hotels and multiple WDW hotels in every category... but I haven't stayed at all of them... so, my absolute statement is less than absolute.)

Your seething hatred for all-things Disney has been well-documented time and again, and your opinion on these boards is as fair-balanced and relevant as a rib-eye steak in a vegan's diet. But so long as it makes you feel like you've added an inch to your manhood... :rolleyes:

jlsHouston

gosh I just re-read my post and I am thinking you actually admitted to all these complete strangers 2 weeks was a long time and hard process for you to decide to shell out over 5 grand.... I hope no one thinks too terribly badly of me, I am so excited though....13 more days to MAGIC:D

jlsHouston

well not exactly a whim..:p I knew we were coming back for Thanksgiving week last summer.. but I procrastinated the entire month of October over whether to incorporate a cruise, then what to do about the airfare being so expensive that week.. then I went into what resort dilemma mode...by this past Sunday I was approaching panic mode to book the trip ..such relief yesterday followed by tremendous excitement!!!

jeff teeter

I just saw on the wdwmagic Polynesian refurb page they show the Polynesian volcano pool being closed 3/4/13 - 3/15/13 right in the middle of my spring break I have scheduled in the Tonga longhouse. I have an email into the Polynesian itinerary office. I hope that's a mistake. I can't imagine staying at the Polynesian with the volcano pool closed. If this is true, they would have a lot less disgruntled guests if they just closed the resort for a month or two and get it fixed. I’ve had the trip planned for over 9 months and not one word about the pool closing. Awesome..

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I just saw on the wdwmagic Polynesian refurb page they show the Polynesian volcano pool being closed 3/4/13 - 3/15/13 right in the middle of my spring break I have scheduled in the Tonga longhouse. I have an email into the Polynesian itinerary office. I hope that's a mistake. I can't imagine staying at the Polynesian with the volcano pool closed. If this is true, they would have a lot less disgruntled guests if they just closed the resort for a month or two and get it fixed. I’ve had the trip planned for over 9 months and not one word about the pool closing. Awesome..

There has been rumor after rumor about the State of the State of the Poly forever. The one I could almost buy into is waiting for the Floridian to be complete and then start the planning slate for the Poly. The Poly keeps receiving band-aids and face-lifts but nothing addresses the major issues that plague this resort and the pool is a constant thorn.

I just can't believe they'd address the pool during Spring Break. January or February is pool rehab time. So sorry.

tikiman

Actually January to March is typically the time they close to do maintenance. I have heard from a few non-Disney sources the March dates and someone told me that Disney Reservations told them these dates but no one at the Polynesian has any info about the pool being closed in March. I did get an email from a person inside Disney that told me it would be closed the last week of February along with some days that the Spirit of Aloha Show would be closed for some work to be done. Anyone that books a resort from January to March is always at risk of the pools being closed for maintenance.
Unfortunately the way projects are planned, the resort staff does not know about the plans until last minute and often guests are not notified ahead of time. Last year when the east pool closed to be resurfaced I had been hearing dates for months. No one at the Polynesian were told about it and then when the dates came they changed the dates the day they were to start. When they finally started work the guests were told that day with a note in their room.

jeff teeter

The Polynesian itinerary planning office responded to my inquiry about the volcano pool closing, "Currently there are no plans confirmed for the Nanea Volcano Pool to be closed in the month of March. I cannot guarantee that this information will not change in the future but as of right now there is no pool closing scheduled for March." I guess I will have to wait and see (and pray a little bit)..... I've been going since the early 70's and have run into a pool closing at the Polynesian before... no fun... I usually don't go this time of year, but my daughter's high school has a music program during spring break at Disney so I couldn't go during my usual slots... On the bright side- even if the volcano pool is closed, still better than staying at the old golf resort (I hated that as a kid).....

Tom

Beta Return
The Polynesian itinerary planning office responded to my inquiry about the volcano pool closing, "Currently there are no plans confirmed for the Nanea Volcano Pool to be closed in the month of March. I cannot guarantee that this information will not change in the future but as of right now there is no pool closing scheduled for March." I guess I will have to wait and see (and pray a little bit)..... I've been going since the early 70's and have run into a pool closing at the Polynesian before... no fun... I usually don't go this time of year, but my daughter's high school has a music program during spring break at Disney so I couldn't go during my usual slots... On the bright side- even if the volcano pool is closed, still better than staying at the old golf resort (I hated that as a kid).....

Unfortunately, it's true. The Nanea Volcano Pool is scheduled to be refurbished 03/14/13 - 13/15/13.

But then again, a significant number of the resort pools will be undergoing refurbs during February and March.

phi2134

I haven't stayed at the Polynesian since I was a lite kid, all I know now is that it is one of the most expensive hotels. Have the rooms usually been premium type rooms and is it worth the money to stay there. I would just for the food, but curious what others think.

Tom

Beta Return
I haven't stayed at the Polynesian since I was a lite kid, all I know now is that it is one of the most expensive hotels. Have the rooms usually been premium type rooms and is it worth the money to stay there. I would just for the food, but curious what others think.

I've stayed there once in my life, and it was August 2011. We had a 50% discount so we stayed Club Level (Hawaii) and had a first floor room with an "obscured MK view". It was wonderful. The atmosphere at the Resort is like none other.

No, it's still not worth $500 a night, because the rooms are still just "hotel room" (granted they'll be a bit nicer, with much more contemporary bathrooms after this refurb). But the price is that high because of supply/demand. People pay it and they keep filling rooms.

jeff teeter

Tom,

Im actually staying 3/9/13 - 3/13/13 at the Polynesian, so maybe I'll get lucky. I started going to the Polynesian in the mid 70s when I was a kid. It was always my favorite. I continued the trips once or twice a year until 2004 when I bought a DVC membership. I still try to go to the Polynesian once every few years, usually in late September when the crowds are not too bad. I prefer the Hawaii long house, but had to stay in the 1-bedroom princess suite in Tonga this trip (It sounds like this is due the refurb of Hawaii). I'm guessing the Hawaii lounge is closed also due to the refurb. Is the tonga lounge expanded during the Hawii refurb? If I remember they usually only offer cold food at the Tonga lounge.

I got remarried last year at Aulani. I still love the Polynesian (probably due to all my memories with my parents), but I think Aulani is now my favorite resort. The ocean-front (especially from the hot tubs) is hard to beat.

Jeff

Figments Friend

-

Glad to hear the Poly is getting some love.
Adore this resort....although i have yet to have stayed there. I make it a point to visit whenever i spend a day at the Magic Kingdom, as nothing beats having breakfast at the Kona and then taking your sweet time to get over to the Park.
A very relaxing, and soothing way to begin a day that later on usually becomes a little harried.

Blufusion

Im new on this site. But have been going to WDW since 1982. Have stayed at The Contemporary and the Dixie Landing and at FW. Also have stayed at many of the hotels at Lake Buena Vista. This last year I had the money to do holiday like I have always wanted. Instead of doing WDW I went and stayed at the Marriott Kolina Resort in Oahu Hawaii. It is the last hotel right past Disney Aulani. I stayed for 8 days had a suite and a rental car for all 8 days plus roundtrip airfare for 2 plus a 45 minute helicopter flight over Oahu for a total cost of $4000.00. Why did I get such a great rate? My partner works for Marriott. We went thru their travel agency and had the best time of our life. The reason I say this . I have always wanted to do WDW and stay at the Contemporary Resort but after looking at their room rates. The room alone would have cost us for what we paid or our whole trip. We go to Orlando we stay at the JW Marriott for a $80.00 a night and we drive to WDW. WDW is fun but they are in my opinion overpriced and not worth it as far as what you get. But thats just my look on life. We will be going in 2014 for a week and more than likely we will stay at Universal Hard Rock Hotel and not staying at Disney.

ProfSlim

Anyone been to the resort in January to confirm an update on room/longhouse rehab ? Last I spoke to Disney the plan was for Hawaii to be first (in January) with others to follow through the year. Tikiman had also thought this to be latest plan (knowing anything can change).

tikiman

Anyone been to the resort in January to confirm an update on room/longhouse rehab ? Last I spoke to Disney the plan was for Hawaii to be first (in January) with others to follow through the year. Tikiman had also thought this to be latest plan (knowing anything can change).

I have photos of the Hawaii room gutted and work starting on Samoa. Hawaii and Samoa started on time from the schedule I have on my site. It will be interesting to see if they finish ontime.

tikiman

When I booked, there was no mention of any refurbs happening to the Poly. But I'm booked for May, so maybe before then...? I don't know.
Work will continue until about August or September if they stay on schedule. Other construction might be planned after that for the pool area and the GCH but not sure yet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom