Polynesian Refurb

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Saw this YouTube showing the construction progress on the bungalows. Pretty good as it lets you see what will and will not be directly blocked by the bungalows.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
And another one that looks at the resort construction and ends with a current waterfall and a photo of how the lobby will look when the waterfall is gone.

GrumpyFan

Walls all around upstairs as of today.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 62
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 60

freediverdude

It looks like the bungalows will block the views from the Hawaii building? Those are expensive rooms to block the view of, lol. And then it looks like Tahiti's views will be fine! Are those bungalows going to be 2-bedroom? They look big, but maybe not big enough to be the grand villas. And only 1000 points per night I'm sure.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Tahiti's view will be blocked as well. They just haven't begun the construction on that side yet.

And I have been in the Hawaii lounge since the construction and YES the stellar view is gone. Only rooms on the 3rd floor can see over the bungalows.

I read somewhere that the villas were supposed to be the 3 bedroom grand villas. @tikiman will know.

tikiman

Tahiti's view will be blocked as well. They just haven't begun the construction on that side yet.

And I have been in the Hawaii lounge since the construction and YES the stellar view is gone. Only rooms on the 3rd floor can see over the bungalows.

I read somewhere that the villas were supposed to be the 3 bedroom grand villas. @tikiman will know.

Internally they were calling them Grand Villas. I realize that Grand Villas in the past were 3 bedrooms but it is just a name. I don’t believe it is written anywhere that requires a Grand Villa to have 3 bedrooms other than the fact that the others did. A few years ago when they told me about the bungalows they called them Grand Villas but did say they would be 2 bedrooms and sleep 9. They are calling them Bungalows now but maybe what makes them Grand is the special amenities it will have that others 2 bedroom villas don’t have. They will even have their own plunge pool out on each deck to soak in and watch the castle. Maybe the other thing that makes them grand is the price they will be per night. I was told that one night would equal a week in a Studio. With all the other new things coming to the Polynesian and some special DVC only things as well as closing off the pool and beach to be guest access only, I can for sure see this being the most expensive resort and DVC at WDW.

freediverdude

Hmm, if that's true, I wonder what they will classify those Hawaii rooms as now, since they don't have the coveted theme park view, or even lagoon view, now. Maybe they'll just make most of Hawaii as garden view, except for those 3rd floor rooms (boy those will be in big demand now, lol).

COProgressFan

Internally they were calling them Grand Villas. ... With all the other new things coming to the Polynesian and some special DVC only things as well as closing off the pool and beach to be guest access only, I can for sure see this being the most expensive resort and DVC at WDW.

I know there have been issues with non-guests in these areas, especially during major holidays, etc. But honestly how could they ever restrict the beach to guests only? Unless they are putting up a giant wall of fencing between the beach and the rest of the resort with gated access (and please I hope they are NOT doing that...) I just don't see how that could ever work logistically.

And telling resort visitors who just shelled out hundreds of dollars for dinner at Ohana that they can't stroll the resort grounds afterward is just terrible customer service.

freediverdude

Yea, that gating of the pool area and stuff will seem to me to really take away from the island resort feel of the place. I don't see what the answer is though, because anybody can just get on the monorail and stroll into the resort. I guess that's really the only way, if non-guests are a problem in those areas. That's why we can't have nice things.

Tom

Beta Return
Internally they were calling them Grand Villas. I realize that Grand Villas in the past were 3 bedrooms but it is just a name. I don’t believe it is written anywhere that requires a Grand Villa to have 3 bedrooms other than the fact that the others did. A few years ago when they told me about the bungalows they called them Grand Villas but did say they would be 2 bedrooms and sleep 9. They are calling them Bungalows now but maybe what makes them Grand is the special amenities it will have that others 2 bedroom villas don’t have. They will even have their own plunge pool out on each deck to soak in and watch the castle. Maybe the other thing that makes them grand is the price they will be per night. I was told that one night would equal a week in a Studio. With all the other new things coming to the Polynesian and some special DVC only things as well as closing off the pool and beach to be guest access only, I can for sure see this being the most expensive resort and DVC at WDW.

Well, I look forward to seeing photos from trip reports of people who can afford to stay in the bungalows, but we'll have to wait for their butlers and nannies to come online to share them.

tikiman

polybeachsign.jpg

The official policy of the pool and beach area being for Polynesian Resort guests only use to be posted but is hardly enforced. On big holidays they attempt to enforce it and has never been very successful. Because people who are not resort guests obviously use the pool, the chairs, lounges, hammocks, etc. I am told they are going to limit access. A fence needs to go up around the pool to bring the pool area up to code so I asked if they were going to run a fence between the pool and the beach. The answer I got was they were going to enclose the pool and beach area so I assume that means that the outer area of the pool and beach will have a fence keeping access to resort guests only. Part of the pool bar will be accessible from the side (I’m guessing the side where the dock to the boat launch is) but the majority of the pool bar will be within the secure gate. This is no different than the pools at Disneyland that have key only access.
I would guess that the beach over near Luau Cove will not be fenced off but the beach near the pool will be. I am guessing this will also limit people getting over and around the bungalows that are not staying there. Access to those docks will be restricted to guests booking the bungalows.

COProgressFan

polybeachsign.jpg

The official policy of the pool and beach area being for Polynesian Resort guests only use to be posted but is hardly enforced. On big holidays they attempt to enforce it and has never been very successful. Because people who are not resort guests obviously use the pool, the chairs, lounges, hammocks, etc. I am told they are going to limit access. A fence needs to go up around the pool to bring the pool area up to code so I asked if they were going to run a fence between the pool and the beach. The answer I got was they were going to enclose the pool and beach area so I assume that means that the outer area of the pool and beach will have a fence keeping access to resort guests only. Part of the pool bar will be accessible from the side (I’m guessing the side where the dock to the boat launch is) but the majority of the pool bar will be within the secure gate. This is no different than the pools at Disneyland that have key only access.
I would guess that the beach over near Luau Cove will not be fenced off but the beach near the pool will be. I am guessing this will also limit people getting over and around the bungalows that are not staying there. Access to those docks will be restricted to guests booking the bungalows.

I'm sure it's been the policy for a while, and I do understand the desire to fence off the pool not only to keep out the riffraff but also for safety reasons. But I still believe fencing off the beach is a bad idea. I know you're just passing along in the info you get though, so who knows how it actually will turn out.

They certainly seem intent on destroying the very things about the Polynesian that caused so many of us to become attached to the resort in the first place.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom