Polynesian Refurb

lobelia

$350 in the O-Town market is VERY pricey. The typical room is much closer to $100 or less. And that doesn't include consolidators like Priceline.com or timeshare deals.

O-Town isn't Chicago, NYC, Paris or Tokyo ... you can get great rooms for $30 a night (trust me, I just did!) and I have stayed at true 5-star global resorts and I know the Poly is a lot closer to a 3-star hotel than anything else.

$350 for one night's stay during the value season? My monthly mortgage is $488. While I do have to clean my house and make sure the "grounds" are kept neat, I have the use of a kitchen and a garage. A family of public servants just cannot justify that kind of magic.

alissafalco

$350 for one night's stay during the value season? My monthly mortgage is $488. While I do have to clean my house and make sure the "grounds" are kept neat, I have the use of a kitchen and a garage. A family of public servants just cannot justify that kind of magic.

I know, you are right. We paid $350 a night (standard room) plus we had free dinning. Even with that, and the convenience of the monorail, I feel it was not worth the $$ IMO.

DougK

Everyone keeps talking about $350 per night at the Polynesian but let's not forget that is actually one of the more inexpensive rates there. You are talking about Value Season and Garden View. The average room price there even including discounts available to the public is well over $350.

So when you say it is overpriced at $350 imagine how the people paying $500 or $600 feel. I don't know how they keep filling that place up (if they do). Maybe Disney knows something we don't.

I really think the prices for all WDW hotels have gotten out of hand. It wasn't that many years ago when a discounted room at Port Orleans Riverside was $95, now you're lucky to get a discount to $150. This is why I now often stay offsite. We have great memories of Lagoon View rooms in Tuvalu and Tahiti but those days are over for us. I miss the Poly (even with all the problems mentioned) but I can no longer afford to stay there.

wdwfan22

$350 in the O-Town market is VERY pricey. The typical room is much closer to $100 or less. And that doesn't include consolidators like Priceline.com or timeshare deals.

O-Town isn't Chicago, NYC, Paris or Tokyo ... you can get great rooms for $30 a night (trust me, I just did!) and I have stayed at true 5-star global resorts and I know the Poly is a lot closer to a 3-star hotel than anything else.

I would say you are a little off on the typical room rate for a decent deluxe level hotel. I myself have never paid less than $100 a night for a room in Orlando. I guess It's possible if you are looking to stay at like a Courtyard maybe or a fairfield Inn, but that would not be considered something on the Polynesian level. I would say more of $160 to $225 a night for an off property deluxe.

alissafalco

Everyone keeps talking about $350 per night at the Polynesian but let's not forget that is actually one of the more inexpensive rates there. You are talking about Value Season and Garden View. The average room price there even including discounts available to the public is well over $350.

So when you say it is overpriced at $350 imagine how the people paying $500 or $600 feel. I don't know how they keep filling that place up (if they do). Maybe Disney knows something we don't.

I really think the prices for all WDW hotels have gotten out of hand. It wasn't that many years ago when a discounted room at Port Orleans Riverside was $95, now you're lucky to get a discount to $150. This is why I now often stay offsite. We have great memories of Lagoon View rooms in Tuvalu and Tahiti but those days are over for us. I miss the Poly (even with all the problems mentioned) but I can no longer afford to stay there.

You are exactly right! I was just saying what I had paid, and even at $350 a night which is the cheapest you'll get a room (unless military or cm), even at that rate its way over priced and not worth it. I really think the people who pay $500 + a night to stay there need to get their head examined. I don't care how wealthy you are or how much $$ you had to burn that is ridiculous!!

pixargal

I, too, have great memories of staying at the Poly. It has priced us out. The only way we enjoy it now is to walk around the resort, grab something to eat at Captain Cooks, and hang out on the beach watching the fireworks and the electrical water pageant.

awoogala

I would say you are a little off on the typical room rate for a decent deluxe level hotel. I myself have never paid less than $100 a night for a room in Orlando. I guess It's possible if you are looking to stay at like a Courtyard maybe or a fairfield Inn, but that would not be considered something on the Polynesian level. I would say more of $160 to $225 a night for an off property deluxe.
I haven't stayed there, so I don't know if it really compares, but we were looking at universal's south seas deluxe, and it started at $224 a night. I would assume that even they have a bit higher prices than the average hotel. I love the poly, and anything in Hawaiian or tiki style, but I could never justify paying these prices, so we just use the Neverland cub and lounge!

COProgressFan

I, too, have great memories of staying at the Poly. It has priced us out. The only way we enjoy it now is to walk around the resort, grab something to eat at Captain Cooks, and hang out on the beach watching the fireworks and the electrical water pageant.

Add us to the list of those who, sadly, have been priced out of the Poly. Or perhaps I should rephrase - while I certainly could spend the outrageous sums it would cost to stay there, I just can no longer justify the cost in relation to what you get in terms of service, cleanliness, maintenance, etc. While Disney has raised prices to absurd level at the deluxes across property, it seems as if the Poly has especially been hit hard. I wouldn't advocate shelling out rack rates to stay at the Boardwalk, for example, either, but it's still not quite as bad at the Poly, and the discounts are usually more available there and at other resorts.

I will always love the Poly and have so many wonderful memories from trips as a kid and adult. It was the place we stayed during most of my early visits to WDW back in its glory days. I try to be optimistic, but sadly, like all of WDW it often feels its best days are behind it.

I, too usually now just stroll through the grounds on occasion to watch fireworks, or grab a snack at Capt. Cooks (Ohana is overpriced and impossible to get into). Like countless others, we have been staying off site in recent years, which is something we would NEVER do even 5 years ago. But clearly Disney is selling the rooms, so good luck to them. I'm just not sure who exactly it is that is spending that kind of cash to stay there anymore.

WDW1974

I believe both housekeeping and bell services for all Disney resorts were outsourced several years ago.

I need to check on that, but I don't believe that is accurate at all ... many years ago Disney outsourced nightly cleaning/maintenance, but that was overnight. That's why you have crews at midnight in the WL or BW lobbies cleaning that clearly are NOT Disney CMs.

If you are saying that Disney's housekeepers are employed by a different company, then that's something entirely different and, I believe, quite inaccurate. But I'll ask again.

WDW1974

I know, you are right. We paid $350 a night (standard room) plus we had free dinning. Even with that, and the convenience of the monorail, I feel it was not worth the $$ IMO.

You are quite right.

I was looking at a rate sheet at the GF when I dined there two weeks ago and I was amazed that the cheapest (I can't believe I am using that word here) rack rate right now was some absurd number (too lazy to find the sheet, but it was like $480) ... with no discounts for the fact that many facilities are closed because of DVC construction.

Alissa, you could have stayed at a true 4-star caliber resort (possibly on property or close by) for well under $100 a night if you had used Priceline.com ... and saving say $275 a day on lodging sorta leaves you plenty of money to pay for your own food.

I am constantly amazed at what 'average' people pay to stay at WDW ...

WDW1974

For a deluxe hotel in O-Town, you are right to a point ... the average rate will be over $100 if you are talking Ritz, JW Marriott, Gaylord Palms, Hyatt Grand Cypress and Swan/Dolphin.

BUT ... if you use a consolidator like Priceline.com (which I highly advise, one year they saved me $16,000 alone ... really!!!), you can regularly get 4-star deluxe resorts that blow away WDW's in terms of service and quality for under $100.

I have stayed at Dolphin, Gaylord Palms,Hyatt Grand Cypress, most DD locations, Marriott World Center all using PL.com and NEVER paid close to $100. I think the lowest of the above was $45 a night at the WDW Dolphin and the priciest was about $85 over NYE one year at Marriott World Center.

If you lower in quality, then you can even better. I spent half my recent 9-day trip at a 3 1/2 star (I'd call it 3 myself) location just outside DD for $37 a night.

People pay to stay at WDW resorts because either they want to, no matter the cost, or they don't realize what bargains can be had that are in some cases more convenient to the Disney parps anyway.

WDW1974

I haven't stayed there, so I don't know if it really compares, but we were looking at universal's south seas deluxe, and it started at $224 a night. I would assume that even they have a bit higher prices than the average hotel. I love the poly, and anything in Hawaiian or tiki style, but I could never justify paying these prices, so we just use the Neverland cub and lounge!

That the Royal Pacific and I absolutely think it is superior to the Poly in every way right now ... from service to dining options to the pool area to the guest makeup (they are classier).

I haven't stayed in a while and often got FLA resident or AP deals, but I never paid more than about $150 a night there and it is well worth that.

I wouldn't pay over $200, but I wouldn't pay that for a standard hotel room anywhere in Orlando. No reflection on the resort, but O-Town is O-Town.

MerlinTheGoat

For a deluxe hotel in O-Town, you are right to a point ... the average rate will be over $100 if you are talking Ritz, JW Marriott, Gaylord Palms, Hyatt Grand Cypress and Swan/Dolphin.

BUT ... if you use a consolidator like Priceline.com (which I highly advise, one year they saved me $16,000 alone ... really!!!), you can regularly get 4-star deluxe resorts that blow away WDW's in terms of service and quality for under $100.

I have stayed at Dolphin, Gaylord Palms,Hyatt Grand Cypress, most DD locations, Marriott World Center all using PL.com and NEVER paid close to $100. I think the lowest of the above was $45 a night at the WDW Dolphin and the priciest was about $85 over NYE one year at Marriott World Center.

If you lower in quality, then you can even better. I spent half my recent 9-day trip at a 3 1/2 star (I'd call it 3 myself) location just outside DD for $37 a night.

People pay to stay at WDW resorts because either they want to, no matter the cost, or they don't realize what bargains can be had that are in some cases more convenient to the Disney parps anyway.
Ok I have to ask you this, how are you getting sub-$100 prices at Priceline for ANY of those hotels? The cheapest that Marriott World Center it's showing me is $159 per night and i've no earthly idea what you're doing to get it any lower. Dolphin is showing $160 as their cheapest on Priceline apparently. In fact, nowhere in Orlando or any surrounding areas am I finding ANY hotels higher than 2.5 stars that are $50 or less. Gaylord Palms is $160 per night. Hyatt Grand Cypress is the cheapest I've found at $111 but still well above $100. How on earth are you getting such low prices using Priceline?

emcclay

Ok I have to ask you this, how are you getting sub-$100 prices at Priceline for ANY of those hotels? The cheapest that Marriott World Center it's showing me is $159 per night and i've no earthly idea what you're doing to get it any lower. Dolphin is showing $160 as their cheapest on Priceline apparently. In fact, nowhere in Orlando or any surrounding areas am I finding ANY hotels higher than 2.5 stars that are $50 or less. Gaylord Palms is $160 per night. Hyatt Grand Cypress is the cheapest I've found at $111 but still well above $100. How on earth are you getting such low prices using Priceline?

Probably by using "Name Your Own Price".

s&k'smom

I'm just looking at allysafalco's pictures and oy my hubby is not happy with the construction at the GF and not sure he wants to stay there next year (though we have a ressie there) but my kids got a look at the new water area and are dying to play at it. I wanted the Poly but was out voted. I've always loved the poly the torches, music playing just lovely.

minninedaisy74

Add us to the list of those who, sadly, have been priced out of the Poly. Or perhaps I should rephrase - while I certainly could spend the outrageous sums it would cost to stay there, I just can no longer justify the cost in relation to what you get in terms of service, cleanliness, maintenance, etc. While Disney has raised prices to absurd level at the deluxes across property, it seems as if the Poly has especially been hit hard. I wouldn't advocate shelling out rack rates to stay at the Boardwalk, for example, either, but it's still not quite as bad at the Poly, and the discounts are usually more available there and at other resorts.

I will always love the Poly and have so many wonderful memories from trips as a kid and adult. It was the place we stayed during most of my early visits to WDW back in its glory days. I try to be optimistic, but sadly, like all of WDW it often feels its best days are behind it.

I, too usually now just stroll through the grounds on occasion to watch fireworks, or grab a snack at Capt. Cooks (Ohana is overpriced and impossible to get into). Like countless others, we have been staying off site in recent years, which is something we would NEVER do even 5 years ago. But clearly Disney is selling the rooms, so good luck to them. I'm just not sure who exactly it is that is spending that kind of cash to stay there anymore.

This is the same for me while I have wonderful memories of staying there as a child back in the late 70's there is no way I can justify the expense now even with the option to use the 40% military discount. We go to WDW/Orlando ever other year for 14 days so a moderate is more in our price range. Every time I even think hey maybe we will cut our trip back a few days and stay at the Poly I quickly come to my senses. I don't know maybe when my kids are older but for now we will stay at our old faithful POR and visit the Poly for breakfast each trip.

disneyflush

That is a totally legitimate question. I think my love for the resort keeps me returning even though I feel the prices are outrageous and some of the services are suffered over the years.

This was a very good post Tikiman. Well thought out and worded.

Just out of curiosity, what would be the price point where you would stop going back to the Poly? Assuming the average room rate is in the $450/night range, would you continue to go back if it was $700/night?

tikiman

This was a very good post Tikiman. Well thought out and worded.

Just out of curiosity, what would be the price point where you would stop going back to the Poly? Assuming the average room rate is in the $450/night range, would you continue to go back if it was $700/night?

Well if I did not have my web site to have to keep up with the current conditions and events I would say that it got to a price that I would have stopped going a few years ago. I have some friends that get me discounts but even then it is in the $300 a night plus. I remember when Club level was that much. Now the same room in the Hawaii longhouse is $1045 a night before tax during the Holiday Season. When I first started my web site 13 years ago the King Kamehameha 2 level multiple room suite was that much. The tax per night alone is what a garden view room was a few years ago. I do understand the frustration of Disney raising prices and lowering quality. I still prefer staying there because of the location, theme and it feels familiar. If I stop going it will not change what Disney does. They were at 65% capacity a few weeks ago but at those prices I guess you don’t have to fill the resort.
It has become difficult to accept the cost to stay there the last few trips and I think that DVC will be our only option in the future. I have always been against DVC and felt it was not a good investment. Our property in Maui was much more than DVC will be but it is a good investment and it is owned property. We are considering selling it to pay for DVC and get rid of our property tax in Hawaii. If we did not have the money from that to pay for DVC I would never consider making payments to Disney for DVC. The dues to Disney will be much less than our $2400 a year taxes in Hawaii so we will be saving on that. I know people say they Own Disney when they purchase DVC but I realize I am just giving them my vacation money up front. I think it will be our only way that we will continue to be able to stay at the Polynesian in the future. I know many long time families that have been going to the Polynesian since the yearly years that have stopped going because of the cost. I don’t see anything getting Disney to stop increasing the cost every year and reducing the discounts.

EpcotCenter82

I need to check on that, but I don't believe that is accurate at all ... many years ago Disney outsourced nightly cleaning/maintenance, but that was overnight. That's why you have crews at midnight in the WL or BW lobbies cleaning that clearly are NOT Disney CMs.

If you are saying that Disney's housekeepers are employed by a different company, then that's something entirely different and, I believe, quite inaccurate. But I'll ask again.

I attempted to locate this information and you may be correct on housekeeping. I did find where Disney outsourced bell, valet, and baggage jobs to BAGS in 2006. I believe this is the same company that handles baggage in relation to Magical Express. I must have been thinking that this change also affected housekeeping services. I'll be interested to hear about the info you find out regarding housekeeping.

DougK

Well if I did not have my web site to have to keep up with the current conditions and events I would say that it got to a price that I would have stopped going a few years ago. I have some friends that get me discounts but even then it is in the $300 a night plus. I remember when Club level was that much. Now the same room in the Hawaii longhouse is $1045 a night before tax during the Holiday Season. When I first started my web site 13 years ago the King Kamehameha 2 level multiple room suite was that much. The tax per night alone is what a garden view room was a few years ago. I do understand the frustration of Disney raising prices and lowering quality. I still prefer staying there because of the location, theme and it feels familiar. If I stop going it will not change what Disney does. They were at 65% capacity a few weeks ago but at those prices I guess you don’t have to fill the resort.
It has become difficult to accept the cost to stay there the last few trips and I think that DVC will be our only option in the future. I have always been against DVC and felt it was not a good investment. Our property in Maui was much more than DVC will be but it is a good investment and it is owned property. We are considering selling it to pay for DVC and get rid of our property tax in Hawaii. If we did not have the money from that to pay for DVC I would never consider making payments to Disney for DVC. The dues to Disney will be much less than our $2400 a year taxes in Hawaii so we will be saving on that. I know people say they Own Disney when they purchase DVC but I realize I am just giving them my vacation money up front. I think it will be our only way that we will continue to be able to stay at the Polynesian in the future. I know many long time families that have been going to the Polynesian since the yearly years that have stopped going because of the cost. I don’t see anything getting Disney to stop increasing the cost every year and reducing the discounts.

Great post as always Tikiman.

All of this makes me wonder...who the heck can afford to stay at the Poly anymore? I mean, who are these people? Are they all once-in-a-lifetime Disney vacationers where money is no object? I just find it hard to believe the occupancy rate is even 65% anymore. I don't mean I don't believe you Steve, I just wonder who the heck these people are? Are they all lottery winners? Gosh I really miss the Poly but as I said before we just can't afford to stay there anymore. As Spirit often says you can have a good time at WDW without staying onsite, and you can get much better accomodations for much less money.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom