Polynesian Refurb

tikiman

good stuff...thanks tikiman !!

Glad I could help.
I still think it is strange that they have not announced the new room design. In 2005 when they test rooms were done for the last room design they had a press release with photos of the test room before they even started adding in the new rooms to the buildings. This time they won’t even admit they are adding in a new room design.

Tom

Beta Return
Glad I could help.
I still think it is strange that they have not announced the new room design. In 2005 when they test rooms were done for the last room design they had a press release with photos of the test room before they even started adding in the new rooms to the buildings. This time they won’t even admit they are adding in a new room design.

Given that it's the most popular resort and always at or near capacity, they probably don't want to stir up too much excitement until it's closer to being done. If they pushed it right now, they'd get people calling and requesting a "refurbished room" every day....with very few to offer. Thus, unhappy guests.

At least with Riverside, they were able to turnover 512 at a time when they remodeled the mansions.

That's just my guess.

tikiman

Given that it's the most popular resort and always at or near capacity, they probably don't want to stir up too much excitement until it's closer to being done. If they pushed it right now, they'd get people calling and requesting a "refurbished room" every day....with very few to offer. Thus, unhappy guests.

At least with Riverside, they were able to turnover 512 at a time when they remodeled the mansions.

That's just my guess.

That is what I considered also. Maybe they learned from last time but unfortunately I think that gives those in charge too much credit. By that I don’t mean those that work at the resort but those outside the resort in charge of making these decisions.
The first new room won’t be available until about March and even then it will only be club level.

ryguy

FYI, My mother is at Disney this week and says that half the parking lot at the Polynesian is shut down due to the construction. Thus making parking tricky for those who are driving in for Dinner reservations. If the lot is full they are directing you to the Grand Floridian or making you valet for a fee. So you may want to allow some extra time when trying to get to the Polynesians restaurants.

wdwjdb

I have photos of the Hawaii room gutted and work starting on Samoa. Hawaii and Samoa started on time from the schedule I have on my site. It will be interesting to see if they finish ontime.
Stayed in Samoa for 2 nights of my trip on the 12 and 13th of January looks like I got in right before they started work! Im so glad we stayed at the Poly those nights it was awesome! Nothing like waking up early and seeing the sunrise and walking around the resort. Expensive but worth it with 4 people spliting it and 30% off. The Poly has and always be my favorite resort anywhere.

Doryln

Just booked my trip and now I keep reading the pool will be closed??? I called the poly directly and was assured (cast member verified it with two others) that this isn't the case and she has no record of the pool closing in march. She said guests would receive a letter if this was the case. Do I go with it and believe it? Switch to the Contemporary? Ugh...

Tom

Beta Return
According to the current list of Resort Hotel Refurbishments, published in-house and to travel agents, it says:

Disney's Polynesian Resort
Nanea Volcano Pool 03/04/13 - 03/15/13

So, yes, it appears the feature pool will be closed for the first half of March. The front desk does not always receive current information. In fact, sometimes they're the last to know. But as of right now, this is pretty factual.

In fact, pools all across property are undergoing refurbs through February and March - not just poly.

Doryln

Aw thanks for the quick info. Maybe we should switch to the contemporary. I can't imagine not having a pool for the kiddies...ugh!!! Frustrating.

Tom

Beta Return
Aw thanks for the quick info. Maybe we should switch to the contemporary. I can't imagine not having a pool for the kiddies...ugh!!! Frustrating.

What dates are your trip? Switching Deluxe Resorts this close to the trip will probably be almost impossible, and could cost you a "change fee" since you're under 45 days.

Contemporary doesn't have any scheduled pool work. Bay Lake Tower's should have finished this week.

GF's Beach Pool will be closed 3/7 - 3/8, with the slide down from 2/24-3/8.

Depending on the outdoor temps, a pool might not be as awesome as it sounds - even a heated one. But, when a resort's pool is closed, they tend to allow pool hopping.

Doryln

Honestly we only booked this trip last week (!!) so unless it filled up sine then, the contemporary and poly both had plenty of rooms available. We were considering both. Had I known no pool my decision would have been simpler. I know - possible low temps, but also possibly great pool weather - would rather have the option!

Tom

Beta Return
Honestly we only booked this trip last week (!!) so unless it filled up sine then, the contemporary and poly both had plenty of rooms available. We were considering both. Had I known no pool my decision would have been simpler. I know - possible low temps, but also possibly great pool weather - would rather have the option!

It's worth a call to reservations.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
FYI, My mother is at Disney this week and says that half the parking lot at the Polynesian is shut down due to the construction. Thus making parking tricky for those who are driving in for Dinner reservations. If the lot is full they are directing you to the Grand Floridian or making you valet for a fee. So you may want to allow some extra time when trying to get to the Polynesians restaurants.
Your avatar scares me.

tikiman

Actually when you call the Polynesian number you are not even speaking to anyone at the resort. Even when you call from your room to the front desk it goes to an offsite call center. They make it sound like they are at the resort but every person at the Polynesian front desk I know tells me you cannot call the front desk. The people in the call center are not well informed about the resort or what is going on. If you call them and ask them if any buildings are being worked on they will tell you there is no schedule for any work being done to the buildings (happened to someone yesterday) although there are two buildings closed as we speak.
Last time the pool closed people were given a notice in their room the day it closed. No one was told ahead of time.
Tom is correct that every year around January to March the pools close for maintenance. I have seen the March dates but I also got an insider email that told me they were planning on closing it the last week of February so I don’t think we will know for sure until it actually closes but it seems a sure thing that it will. There are possibly plans to close it for an extended period at the end of Summer also to put in some new features but again we won’t know until the day it happens.
The East pool will be open and they will be taking people over to the GF pool when the Volcano pool is closed.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Thanks for the heads up Tiki, and btw- came across your site last night and it's awesome! TY for the info you provide. We're staying at Poly (first time!) in May and are even more excited now. :)

tikiman

Thanks for the heads up Tiki, and btw- came across your site last night and it's awesome! TY for the info you provide. We're staying at Poly (first time!) in May and are even more excited now. :)

Glad you like the site. I am working on a new one that will hopefully be better but I have to thank all the people that support my site with information, including a few on here ;)

Have a great time in May. Hope you get a new room.

Aloha

Steve

KeithVH

Just read through all 10 pages, haven't paid too much attention to this before as we stopped staying at the Poly 3 years ago. Prior to that, we stayed there at least 8 times over a 10 year period. Tahiti the first time, Hawaii the rest. Yeah, things have changed, the whole declining by degrees things, especially club level. We're in love with the GF and BW now.

But think abut this. There's a deeper issue. So glad the work is being done. But did it need to get this bad? If the story was the same across all the deluxes, I could more easily accept some of the arguments here. But, for example, go walk through the GF, especially concierge. You will not see the same conditions. I only see these complaints, it seems, about the Poly (maybe a SLIGHT exaggeration). What makes it so unique that our pixie dusters have to point out the issues here? I don't see the same concern or the same amount of complaints about almost ANY other property. If every hotel was in as bad shape as is perceived here, there'd be a mass uprising.

So what's the real scoop? Where's the root cause?

rkelly42

Planning a trip either the last week of october or first week of november 2013 does anyone forsee any problems with construction during that time period?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom