Polynesian Refurb

Mickey2minnie1

Thank you Tikiman! We will check the site for more. I am hoping I will be able to use the GCH next June. It is looking promising. Since Hawaii is the only building guaranteed to be done, I might have to book CL now for a few days,lol.

WDW1974

Just a question to Tikiman, but are you suggesting that Disney is now outsourcing housekeeping (at the Poly anyway)? ... because that would be news to me and likely many here. I find it very hard to believe considering how they bring in slave labor on work visas to clean the rooms. You sure? As in 100% proof positive?

As to Alissa's pics, all I can say is that type of stuff looks like what you'd find at a beat up 2-star motel. Not an allegedly 4-star resort. That just should't be acceptable and wouldn't be, frankly, if Disney had a higher more discerning clientele that demanded more.

Pixie Dust only adds half a star at most to resort ... and doesn't justify what I saw in those photos.

But Dixie Landings is looking great after its major renovations ... and the WL looks ... um ... ah ... different with lighter carpeting and paint in the hallways.

I still am amazed that folks are dumb enough to spend $500-700 a night now for standard hotel rooms (first, where the hell do they get that kind of money in this economy ... and I say that as an almost top one percenter who was hanging with some incredibly wealthy folks just a few weeks ago in TV Land) that aren't as well maintained as the typical Marriott at any airport in the country.

alissafalco

To be fair we paid 350$ a night (mid sept. value season) but still, even at 350$ a night the place should have been immaculate!

Tikiman said that he didn't pay any attention to the large puddle of water outside of Cooks because other resorts had that also. So that makes it ok?? That puddle was there the enitre week we were there, and Tikiman went there 10 days later and it was still there?? Unacceptable.

The lobby, Ohana, and the monorail are this resorts only saving grace.

It simply is not worth the $$. If it was 100$ a night then I would give it another chance. Until then, my Poly days are over.

tikiman

To be fair we paid 350$ a night (mid sept. value season) but still, even at 350$ a night the place should have been immaculate!

Tikiman said that he didn't pay any attention to the large puddle of water outside of Cooks because other resorts had that also. So that makes it ok?? That puddle was there the enitre week we were there, and Tikiman went there 10 days later and it was still there?? Unacceptable.

It simply is not worth the $$. If it was 100$ a night then I would give it another chance. Until then, my Poly days are over.

I believe I said “I did see the flooding over near Captain Cooks but I did not give it a second look” Not that I did not pay any attention. Two different statements. It was there because it rained. When it stopped raining it was gone shortly after. There was plenty of room to walk around it just like in your photo. We were at other resorts that you could not even get around the puddles. I don’t hold it against the resorts for having puddles after it rains. I would not expect someone to come out and suck up the water after every rain storm in Florida and I don’t see them cutting a drain in the ground to get rid of a puddle that you can walk around. If they had someone staffed to sweep away every puddle then we would have to pay $800 a night for a standard room. Also I can find damage at every resort on property and off property so if you will only stay somewhere that is immaculate than you will have a tough time finding a place to stay.
Im sorry your experience was not up to your expectations. Hopefully the next resort will be the one for you.

ChrisM

As to Alissa's pics, all I can say is that type of stuff looks like what you'd find at a beat up 2-star motel. Not an allegedly 4-star resort. That just should't be acceptable and wouldn't be, frankly, if Disney had a higher more discerning clientele that demanded more.

Pixie Dust only adds half a star at most to resort ... and doesn't justify what I saw in those photos.

Room conditions really are pathetic. And that's by any standard. Factor in the insanely inflated prices and it's something close to madness.

COProgressFan

Room conditions really are pathetic. And that's by any standard. Factor in the insanely inflated prices and it's something close to madness.

I know what you mean, and it's a shame because it wasn't that long ago (10 years+) that I used to find Disney resort rooms in much better shape than other hotels in terms of cleanliness and maintenance. I've had some wonderful rooms in recent years after being recently renovated (BW in 2010, Coronado in 2011) but also had some that really needed help (Riverside in 2007, a GF room in 2009 that was just "ok").

awoogala

my only question is ill anything from the refurbishment be available for sale? I am dying to own a piece of the poly, but always miss the sales after refurbishment! ;-)

meyeet

Our room in RapaNui at the end of Sept was clean and in great shape. We were on the first floor so I didn't see the elevator. My only complaint was that they left a pile of saw dust in the room when they changed out the door locks.

awoogala

I know what you mean, and it's a shame because it wasn't that long ago (10 years+) that I used to find Disney resort rooms in much better shape than other hotels in terms of cleanliness and maintenance. I've had some wonderful rooms in recent years after being recently renovated (BW in 2010, Coronado in 2011) but also had some that really needed help (Riverside in 2007, a GF room in 2009 that was just "ok").
I agree. We stayed at a garden view room at contemporary, after having stayed at BW. The difference was astounding. BW actually felt like a decent luxury hotel. Contemporary seemed like a cheaper version of what was after to be modern/ contemporary, but the sheets, beds, etc, seemed like a much lower quality. It was also not nearly as clean as I expected.

alissafalco

I believe I said “I did see the flooding over near Captain Cooks but I did not give it a second look” Not that I did not pay any attention. Two different statements. It was there because it rained. When it stopped raining it was gone shortly after. There was plenty of room to walk around it just like in your photo. We were at other resorts that you could not even get around the puddles. I don’t hold it against the resorts for having puddles after it rains. I would not expect someone to come out and suck up the water after every rain storm in Florida and I don’t see them cutting a drain in the ground to get rid of a puddle that you can walk around. If they had someone staffed to sweep away every puddle then we would have to pay $800 a night for a standard room. Also I can find damage at every resort on property and off property so if you will only stay somewhere that is immaculate than you will have a tough time finding a place to stay.
Im sorry your experience was not up to your expectations. Hopefully the next resort will be the one for you.

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you, so please don't think that. But, isn't not giving something a second look the same as not paying any attention to it? :confused:
We were there for 8 nights and 9 days. The very BIG puddle was there the entire time. Yes, it rained a few times while we were there but for literally 20 minutes tops the enitre day, maybe 3-4 days out of the 9 we were there. Yes, the walkway was big enough for us to walk around, but I'm sorry that is no excuse as to why they couldn't send someone to out to sweep it away at least once or twice during the entire 9 day stay we were there. I hardly think that sending someone out to do that 2x a week would justify charging 800$ a night as you stated. I'm also not suggesting to "sweep away every puddle" as you stated. Just the very BIG one that was right outside Capt Cooks that everyone at the resort has to walk by if you want to use your refillable mug.
I understand you have a very deep love for the Poly but sometimes I feel that love you have for it leaves your opinion of the resort a little biased.
For 350$ a night which is what we paid, yes, I do feel the resort should be immaculate. The lobby of the Poly was immaculate, so why shouldn't the long houses be? I feel as though they put all their effort and upkeep into the lobby/restaurants but then fell very short once you left that area. If they can keep the lobby/restaurants immaculate they should be able to do the same with the rest of the resort. Come on, you've seen my photos. The stain dripping down the wall inside of the elevator was there the enitre 9 days (you can see in the photo). The broken outlet in the hallway was there for 9 days. It's no excuse and the Poly really is not worth the money. Yes, I am very sorry the experience was not up to my expectations.

tikiman

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you, so please don't think that. But, isn't not giving something a second look the same as not paying any attention to it? :confused:
We were there for 8 nights and 9 days. The very BIG puddle was there the entire time. Yes, it rained a few times while we were there but for literally 20 minutes tops the enitre day, maybe 3-4 days out of the 9 we were there. Yes, the walkway was big enough for us to walk around, but I'm sorry that is no excuse as to why they couldn't send someone to out to sweep it away at least once or twice during the entire 9 day stay we were there. I hardly think that sending someone out to do that 2x a week would justify charging 800$ a night as you stated. I'm also not suggesting to "sweep away every puddle" as you stated. Just the very BIG one that was right outside Capt Cooks that everyone at the resort has to walk by if you want to use your refillable mug.
I understand you have a very deep love for the Poly but sometimes I feel that love you have for it leaves your opinion of the resort a little biased.
For 350$ a night which is what we paid, yes, I do feel the resort should be immaculate. The lobby of the Poly was immaculate, so why shouldn't the long houses be? I feel as though they put all their effort and upkeep into the lobby/restaurants but then fell very short once you left that area. If they can keep the lobby/restaurants immaculate they should be able to do the same with the rest of the resort. Come on, you've seen my photos. The stain dripping down the wall inside of the elevator was there the enitre 9 days (you can see in the photo). The broken outlet in the hallway was there for 9 days. It's no excuse and the Poly really is not worth the money. Yes, I am very sorry the experience was not up to my expectations.

No worries. I don’t think you are trying to pick a fight. We don’t have to agree with each other. We can all have different opinions.

freediverdude

Hi Tikiman! Remember me, the guy from 2003 I think it was, with the lagoon view room with a blocked view of the castle, that helped get them to reassess the room categories? haha. Anyway, I think we all need to realize that the main reason we're paying those prices is because these resorts are right smack dab next to the most visited theme park in the entire world, connected by a monorail or walkway or boat. The quality of the resort is really kind of secondary. I think even the Polynesian and Contemporary did not receive the 4 diamond by AAA during some years, Tikiman can correct me there if my memory is wrong, but they didn't have any trouble filling the rooms. It's all about the location and having the Disney name.

Gregoryp73

Anything they can do to move the quality of the rooms and the GCH to that of Aulani would be an amazing improvement. And as long as DVC members keep buying, it's not a matter of if....but when does the Poly DVC get built.

WDW1974

$350 in the O-Town market is VERY pricey. The typical room is much closer to $100 or less. And that doesn't include consolidators like Priceline.com or timeshare deals.

O-Town isn't Chicago, NYC, Paris or Tokyo ... you can get great rooms for $30 a night (trust me, I just did!) and I have stayed at true 5-star global resorts and I know the Poly is a lot closer to a 3-star hotel than anything else.

WDW1974

Just a question and not meant as an 'attack' (I love the 'net, truly!) ... but could you possibly have a blindspot when it comes to the Poly, much like many WDW fans have for the resort in general?

tikiman

Just a question and not meant as an 'attack' (I love the 'net, truly!) ... but could you possibly have a blindspot when it comes to the Poly, much like many WDW fans have for the resort in general?

Aloha WDW1974,

That is a totally legitimate question. I think my love for the resort keeps me returning even though I feel the prices are outrageous and some of the services are suffered over the years. Having my site also makes me pay attention to details that most would not take the time to pay attention to. I do this so I can give people an accurate account of how things are at the resort. I know what things are not in the best of shape and what things have been recently replaced. Most people will not pay that close attention.

I have written many articles and trip reports that point out problems at the Polynesian and even on this last trip I noticed things I was not happy with. I really try my best to stick to facts and not involve my opinion. Maybe I am not always successful. The last thing I want to do is talk someone into staying there if I think they are not going to have a good experience. I often have told people to stay at other resorts for one reason or another.

Some things I see wrong at the Polynesian are the price increases but I don’t blame the Polynesian. Disney has raised prices everywhere and in some cases the quality of the product they sell has suffered. When management and past CMs explained to me the problem they have with the outsourced jobs being the reason for the decrease in quality I was very upset. Other observations like the beaches being overtaken by some sort of growth that not only looks bad but invades much of what use to be a nice looking beach. I don’t understand why they can’t do anything to fix this. My guess is these increases in cost go more to the shareholders and upper management then going back into the resort (just a guess on my part). The flooding on the walkways I personally did not see as an issue and neither did the other people that were with me (just my opinion). On the other hand the south side (garden view side) of Tahiti floods way too often and is like a swamp right outside guests’ patio. I see that as something they should have fixed years ago. Many of the maintenance issues I have seen at the Polynesian I have seen at every other resort on Disney property that I have stayed at. Hopefully the people that have the power will address these issues better. I try and stay at more than one resort every visit. Last time I stayed at 3. That way I can compare based on my own experience and not just reports from others.

I try and report the good and the bad as best I can. If people think I only try and talk about the good and try and argue against bad reports than I guess I am not doing a good enough job of that. People send me trip reports and I ask them if I can post them on my site. I don’t edit or filter out the bad reports. I even have a few articles complaining about issues I have seen on my visits but my articles are not likely to get them fixed. At times people at Disney have wanted my site closed because of some of the issues I have pointed out.

I think some on here like you and Alissafalco made some good points when it comes to issues with the Polynesian and I can appreciate that feedback even if I don’t agree with all of it. The feedback is good for me and good for the resort. Like Freediverdude mentioned, his experience helped me look into an issue about blocked views. The Polynesian took the time to re-categorize their room descriptions based on guest feedback. I don’t get inside every room so having that feedback from other guests is important. It also gives me things to check out on my next visit.

EpcotCenter82

Just a question to Tikiman, but are you suggesting that Disney is now outsourcing housekeeping (at the Poly anyway)? ... because that would be news to me and likely many here. I find it very hard to believe considering how they bring in slave labor on work visas to clean the rooms. You sure? As in 100% proof positive?

I believe both housekeeping and bell services for all Disney resorts were outsourced several years ago.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom