Polynesian Refurb

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I am glad that you feel you are getting a valuable return on your investment.
I can respect that opinion, and i agree that there is no beating rooming in a larger Resort.

If folks want to buy into it...that is their own personal choice. Nothing wrong with that, we all like to approach our vacation time differently.
My issue is that lately DVC is making a bad habit of encroaching too much in areas with buildings that are not being properly designed to match what pre-exsiting Resort they are being attached to.

Very little thought seems to be put into matching the exteriors of the new DVC buildings with the host-Resorts already pre-determined design scheme. If this was done, it would make the buildings a better fit thematically and make them more visually tolerable.

The insides of these newer properties are of course lovely. No debate there. I have visited quite a few of them.
They are attractive, but to me they look just like any other high-end hotel in any inner city.
This is WDW.
It should be more then this, exspecially for the DCVs who are paying so much yearly for the right to stay there.

The problem i see is that Disney needs to create building designs that blend into their surroundings better.
Make them less *high rise condo* looking...and more *themed, unique Resort* looking.
Keep it classy and all......but keep the buildings on par thematically with what is already present, exspecially at these already iconic Deluxe Resorts.

I would say this is one of my bigger concerns/issues with currant DVC.
Purely a design standpoint, as well as for other deeper reasons i already got off my chest in a earlier post.

I seriously hope the two 5-story buildings being added to the Poly are going to look better then what is over at GF. I would LIKE to think Disney will jazz them up in a similar tropical ambiance instead of just building another *apartment complex*.

I think based on the initial plans the GFV buildings are supposed to look a lot like the existing hotel with the exception of the 2 extra floors. I can't imagine the Poly ones not being similar and fitting in with the decor of the resort. My one fear is the wing that is replacing the luau seems to be crammed in like GFV. I think that side of the lake may look overcrowded after its all done. IMHO the huts over the water will add to the charm and Polynesian feel of the resort.

Epicpilot

I think based on the initial plans the GFV buildings are supposed to look a lot like the existing hotel with the exception of the 2 extra floors. I can't imagine the Poly ones not being similar and fitting in with the decor of the resort. My one fear is the wing that is replacing the luau seems to be crammed in like GFV. I think that side of the lake may look overcrowded after its all done. IMHO the huts over the water will add to the charm and Polynesian feel of the resort.
I agree with the GFV. The T-shaped buildings is a hit or miss thing when it comes to fitting in with the rest of the buildings. What I am interested is what are the huts going to look like? The hits can either be ugly and ruin the feel or they can be a huge hit and make the poly look even better.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I agree with the GFV. The T-shaped buildings is a hit or miss thing when it comes to fitting in with the rest of the buildings. What I am interested is what are the huts going to look like? The hits can either be ugly and ruin the feel or they can be a huge hit and make the poly look even better.

I'm picturing something like this but a little larger:

Tahiti Over Water Bungalows by Bela Geo Images, on Flickr

But you are right, they could botch it up completely.

Figments Friend

Agree regarding the T-building closest to the GF. I guess we will just have to wait and see.
Enjoy the joys of space-between buildings now, while you can folks..!

I am just now hearing about the plans to remove/rebuild the GCH. This is a real shame, as this entrance into the Resort perfectly sets up the feeling of being somewhere remote on the islands.
Losing that interior garden and waterfall will be dissapointing if true.

Buck

Perhaps they will create a indoor venue that is similar to the *outdoor* themed interiors like the Sci-Fi Cafe at DHS or the Mexico Pavillion over at EPCOT?

Night sky...twinkling stars....palm trees swaying in the artificial breezes...lighting effects to create that eternal sunset or evening..or both...

Not the same...i know...but it would solve the problems with the weather cancelling performances.

Holy crap that would be awesome.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I believe it has been unofficially confirmed that they won't be pursuing this type of villa (unfortunately). Or maybe fortunately, since there's nothing scenic about the water of 7SL.

I was going off the update from earlier this month on Tikiman's page. I hadn't heard an update that the huts were out of the plan.

the.dreamfinder

Part Two or "We just stopped caring"
The first DVC attached to an existing resort was the Villas at Wilderness Lodge which opened way, way back in the year 2000. The addition complemented the existing resort aesthetically and thematically, creating the rare backstory that works: A Lodge originally for workers who built the WL and transcontinental railroad, while not overshadowing it because they were built at the same scale.
dwv078098LARGE.jpg

As DVCs were attached to existing deluxe resorts, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Animal Kingdom Lodge, they did not detract from the original charm of their sister resorts.
Then came the big, bad Bay Lake Tower DVC aka generic concrete high rise that we'll pretend fits in with the Contemporary because the color of the concrete is similar and we borrowed some accents. There's also the issue of having two tall towers next to a tiny tower and how that looks bad and how i would have preferred both garden wings torn down and replaced with DVC and regular guest room wings of the same height. So that was DVC's strike one in the poor taste category.

Strike Two:
Grand Floridian Villas
They didn't try (It's a box with GF accents added on), they kill a good bit of the charm of the Wedding Pavilion (Screw expensive fairytale weddings??), and this could be the DVC where they (finally) realize the udder is bleeding.
Disney_s+Grand+Floridian+Resort+Expansion+-+Exterior.jpg

compare to GF
grand-floridarian.jpg

Part Three or why Disney should stop always looking at its past and Peter Dominick is a boss coming soon...

Epicpilot

I am just now hearing about the plans to remove/rebuild the GCH. This is a real shame, as this entrance into the Resort perfectly sets up the feeling of being somewhere remote on the islands.
Losing that interior garden and waterfall will be dissapointing if true.
GCHis coming down the first chance disney can get the money for it. GCH was built in the 70's and asbestos was used so today it does not reach safety regulations. Taking down GCH is going to take a lot of money so it will only happen when they add a major addition and that is DVC. When DVC starts GCH is coming down.

CDavid

GCHis coming down the first chance disney can get the money for it. GCH was built in the 70's and asbestos was used so today it does not reach safety regulations. Taking down GCH is going to take a lot of money so it will only happen when they add a major addition and that is DVC. When DVC starts GCH is coming down.

If the Great Ceremonial House is to be demolished, it cannot be solely because of asbestos. As I understand it (and someone please correct me if I'm mistaken) asbestos is a problem primarily when it is disturbed - such as cutting into it, or when you demo a structure. Removal of the asbestos does not require demolition of the entire building. Indeed, Disney will have to perform asbestos abatement before they can even begin the actual demolition.

Asbestos, if I recall correctly, was also in the Contemporary north garden wings, and also had to be removed before the structures could be torn down. But it is also probably in most of the Magic Kingdom and also the Polynesian's original longhouses (which will also require abatement before any DVC conversion), and isn't a problem either place unless, again, you want to make major renovations or demolition.

Tom

Beta Return
If the Great Ceremonial House is to be demolished, it cannot be solely because of asbestos. As I understand it (and someone please correct me if I'm mistaken) asbestos is a problem primarily when it is disturbed - such as cutting into it, or when you demo a structure. Removal of the asbestos does not require demolition of the entire building. Indeed, Disney will have to perform asbestos abatement before they can even begin the actual demolition.

Asbestos, if I recall correctly, was also in the Contemporary north garden wings, and also had to be removed before the structures could be torn down. But it is also probably in most of the Magic Kingdom and also the Polynesian's original longhouses (which will also require abatement before any DVC conversion), and isn't a problem either place unless, again, you want to make major renovations or demolition.

This is all true - unless Florida has laws requiring abatement even if you're not disturbing it. And I'm sure the buildings in the MK are littered with asbestos.

However, if you're remodeling an area, it's best practice to go ahead and abate that area while you have it torn apart, especially if it's a public facility.

So, they wouldn't do work in the GCH because of the asbestos....but they would abate if they were doing major remodeling anyway.

n2hifi

Are you an architect? I'm fairly certain that WDW hired professional architects with significant knowledge and experience when designing/building BLT and the new GFVs.

I've worked with more architects that are out to make their own statement, ignoring continuity and design aesthetic than I have with those that are sympathetic to those elements. Architects hate restrictions and matching an existing aesthetic is a major one. And I do have an Architectural degree by the way.

MarkTwain

If Disney announced they were demolishing the Polynesian luau for extra rooms, or building new rooms on the namesake beach of the once-Grand Floridian Beach Resort which also spoiled the resort's skyline and views from the wedding pavilion, I would absolutely have a problem with it.

The fact that that the new rooms are DVC increases problems. First, it makes the expansions seem more like conspicuous cash grabs, giving the impression Disney is more interested in the one-time cash grab than in the long-term health of their property. Building more hotel rooms may at least indicate that Disney was concerned about the number of deluxe accommodations available. By contrast, Al Lutz on MiceAge has suggested that DVC has actually cannibalized on-property room sales, particularly in deluxe and moderate rooms, because a huge portion of the people that once would have paid every year to stay in Disney's resorts now simply use their DVC (and are not paying Disney anything to be there). The impact this is having on each resort's monorail stops is another problem entirely.

Also, however much we don't like it, making these changes to their signature resorts *does* present somewhat of a class issue. Tearing out beloved and historic features of the resort, like the luau and beaches of the lagoon, to effectively build timeshare districts suggests Disney cares more about the guests staying at those timeshares than the generations of guests that may have enjoyed those features for decades.

AngryEyes

Honestly, why wouldn't they do it? As a corporation, if they can keep throwing literally nothing out there and people keep buying it, it would be irresponsible not to. The really sweet part is when the contract runs out and they get to sell it all over again.

Slowjack

This whole "class issue" is an angle that never entered my mind in DVC discussions. Which group is supposed to be looking down on the other here? I don't get it.

I've stayed at the Poly once--fulfilling a lifelong dream--but it was during Disney's deep hotel discount period. I don't think I'll be coming back anytime soon without similar discounts. My own aversion to DVC has nothing to do with the sort of people who are DVC members, since again I have no notion of why those people would be any different than the rest of us. I just think that DVC, in general, is creating a kind of locked-in, captured guest that on the whole doesn't bode well for the resort's long-term future. Also, many of the DVC additions to existing properties have been improperly scaled, and that looks to be the case with the current design at the Poly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom