Polynesian Refurb

tikiman

Sort of a no-brainer...and something I bet they wished they would have done years ago.

Well they sort of did. It was originally a show out on the beach of Peepete Bay (not the resturant but the cove) and they built the luau cove building but I think they left it open air for atmosphere and becasue they were using fire (ill have to tell you the story of the fire dancer that lit the stage on fire). Maybe they needed a retractable roof.

FLYbyNITE

My stay is now about 30 days away and I was just wondering how the refurb was going? Has anyone stayed in a newly refurbed room yet? Any construction complaints or other issues? Has the refurb affected any other parts of the resort, other than the long houses? Just trying to get some info now to avoid any potential problems I might have when I arrive. Thanks!!!!

Epicpilot

My stay is now about 30 days away and I was just wondering how the refurb was going? Has anyone stayed in a newly refurbed room yet? Any construction complaints or other issues? Has the refurb affected any other parts of the resort, other than the long houses? Just trying to get some info now to avoid any potential problems I might have when I arrive. Thanks!!!!
We stayed in April in a newly refurbished room and it was great, bathroom was much more spacious, the room was painted a faint green, and there was new beds. Overall still a great room. Construction is finishing up and when we were there when the most construction was happening and they did not make any noise and were not a problem at all. Construction only closed the long houses and that's it. So basically business as normal except for some long houses not being accessible. Also when you are there only Tahiti and Rapa Nui will be closed and those are the longhouses farthest away from the GCH. So basically Your trip will not be affected and have a great time.

FLYbyNITE

Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated. I'm a bit bummed that Tahiti will not be available (our personal fav) but as long as the construction is limited to other long houses and the pool is OK, it shouldn't be a bother.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Anyone noticed the fruit fly infestation at Tambu ? The last two time I've been there they are everywhere.
Fruit fly trap = Pour apple cider vinegar in a shallow bowl, add a few drops of dish washing liquid, stir gently , let it sit close to where you have seen the fruit flies.

The soap lowers the surface tension of the vinegar and the flies land on the vinegar and simply drown!

KitchenKabaret

So, is there any word yet one when/if GCH will be touched? I had kind of thought soon-ish and that my trip this summer might be one of my last opportunities to see it in its current form? Is this true?

Club Cooloholic

Agree with everything posted above. Well stated...exspecially the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs.
Part of the negative feelings some have towards DVC comes from the issue of the added buildings not matching the parent Resort they are being placed next to. Most of the more recent additons have shown a serious lack of this which makes them stick out like a sore thumb visually.

I can understand the desire the build where people seem to want to stay, just make the new additions look like they have always been a part of the Resort...not just tacked on in a inferior designed way.
My cousin had a great stay at Bay Lake Towers, but he did admit it felt like staying at a regular cookie cutter business hotel. I guess Disney is following today's modern house building trend(small yard big house).
DVC love is a little like people who love the magic express, to them they are getting a great deal, free ride to Disney whoo hoo! But then your giving up freedom, I have rented a car every time I go, and while it is a little more difficult to move all the luggage and car seats from the airport to the car and back, I never write in to complain about waiting for a bus, and we usually do one dinner in Celebration, which is wonderful to check out.
DVC is a bit similar, your basically committing to buy a Disney vacation every year for the next 50 years. This puts less pressure on the Disney to come up with ways to keep you coming back, cause they already took away your freedom of choice. I may buy a DVC one of these years but it so far just has not added up to me(considering you can't take advantage of the discounts Disney is constantly offering to get people to come back)
BTW, did not mean to reboot this, I just found it when I was looking for why Poly lost a waterfall(someone recently posted about it)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
My cousin had a great stay at Bay Lake Towers, but he did admit it felt like staying at a regular cookie cutter business hotel. I guess Disney is following today's modern house building trend(small yard big house).
DVC love is a little like people who love the magic express, to them they are getting a great deal, free ride to Disney whoo hoo! But then your giving up freedom, I have rented a car every time I go, and while it is a little more difficult to move all the luggage and car seats from the airport to the car and back, I never write in to complain about waiting for a bus, and we usually do one dinner in Celebration, which is wonderful to check out.
DVC is a bit similar, your basically committing to buy a Disney vacation every year for the next 50 years. This puts less pressure on the Disney to come up with ways to keep you coming back, cause they already took away your freedom of choice. I may buy a DVC one of these years but it so far just has not added up to me(considering you can't take advantage of the discounts Disney is constantly offering to get people to come back)
BTW, did not mean to reboot this, I just found it when I was looking for why Poly lost a waterfall(someone recently posted about it)
DVC isn't for everyone, but just a few points of clarification.
1) You aren't necessarily buying a Disney vacation EVERY year for 50 years. Many owners do go every year, but some are on an every other year schedule. With banking and borrowing its actually possible to go every third year if you choose.

2) With DVC you don't have to vacation at WDW. Aside from the obvious trade ins through RCI you can also stay at a DVC resort but not visit Disney parks or eat meals at WDW. Some owners use DVC as a base to visit other Orlando attractions.

3) If you stay in a villa with a full kitchen you have much more freedom to skip overpriced meals in the parks then you do with a hotel room.

4) With DVC you are eligible for discounts on APs, merchandise and Tables in Wonderland. If you use the rental cost of points as a basis, DVC rooms usually represent close to a 40% discount off of rack rates. Rarely do they offer room discounts that good and not at popular times of year. You aren't eligible for free dining with DVC. Free dining can be a decent deal for some, but saving almost 40% off rack rates for the room plus 20% off table service meals with Tables in Woderland (including alcohol) plus having a kitchen for drinks, snacks and even meals if you choose usually will add up to a better deal than paying full rack and getting free dining.

5) DVC rooms make up a little over 10% of total WDW rooms. If you factor in off property guests, less than 10% of total guests are DVC owners. Even if Disney was not concerned with getting these guests to come back since they are "locked in" they make up a very small portion of total guests. Disney isn't going to stop trying since 10% of their guests are locked in.

s&k'smom

I'm just so glad I took a stroll over to the Poly last year when we were at the GF and got one last look at it before the construction, lots of wonderful memories.

Next Big Thing

Not sure if this has been said yet, but Tikiman said over on his FB Page at least that Disney is considering changing the Tokelau longhouse into DVC now because of the demand for Poly DVC.

DisneyDebNJ

I don't get it... all the other resorts that added DVC to their property, another building or so was added... the Polynesian has taken several away in favor of DVC. If you thought it was difficult to get a room at the Poly in the past, it's going to be downright impossible in the future.

ABQ

I don't get it... all the other resorts that added DVC to their property, another building or so was added... the Polynesian has taken several away in favor of DVC. If you thought it was difficult to get a room at the Poly in the past, it's going to be downright impossible in the future.
But wasn't the rumblings from the masses that occupancy was way down, due to the highly scientific method of calculating occupancy of "The Poly parking lot was only half full"?

tl77

Not sure if this has been said yet, but Tikiman said over on his FB Page at least that Disney is considering changing the Tokelau longhouse into DVC now because of the demand for Poly DVC.

Animal Kingdom DVC started by converting existing rooms in the AK Lodge, and then they added the additional DVC Building next to it, and if they are now also converting the Tokelau longhouse into a DVC I wonder if some of the original Poly expansion plans may be making a come back.

DisneyDebNJ

Animal Kingdom DVC started by converting existing rooms in the AK Lodge, and then they added the additional DVC Building next to it, and if they are now also converting the Tokelau longhouse into a DVC I wonder if some of the original Poly expansion plans may be making a come back.
Time will tell .....

Club Cooloholic

I think that since the cost to stay there has skyrocketed, occupancy is down. If you charge crazy nightly rates its easier to sell the public on DVC being a good buy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom